KT66's in a Peavey VTM60

Dale_M

Yep, it does. I did a little more research after posting (yeah, I don't think a whole lot sometimes :jo) and discovered that some KT66's have a higher current draw than 6L6's and some have the same current draw.

The reason I wanna try 6L6's is just to get some different tones. I enjoy trying different things.:D

Thanks, Dale. Good info. I wonder if the current draw on some of those could be problematic for some 6L6 amps. I had read that they were a direct replacement. I am curious, also, about the tone differences between the 6L6's and the KT66's.

Dale_M

Some people say that KT66's add a "british flavor" to a 6L6 amp. From what I've read they're basically less scooped 6L6's and have more complex harmonic overtones or something. I'm not totally sure, just figured I'd experiment because like I said, I like trying different things. :)

Last edited:

VanR

The new Tung Sol KT66's supposedly have the same current draw as 6L6's. Lots of folks over at the Peavey forums are running them in their Valveking 112's. They won't fit the 100 watt Valvekings though because the glass is too big. Depends on how close the tube sockets are on your VTM60 whether they will fit. You'll also need to remove the bear claw tube holders if you have them.

Last edited:

cap47

You need socket spacing of 2-½" center to center or close to that to accomodate the large bottle KT66's. Tung-Sol is 900ma same as 6L6.

Dale_M

Looks like there's plenty of space to me.. I don't have the amp yet, so I can't tell exactly how much space there is.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Typical heater current draw for a KT66 is 1300 ma compared to a 6L6's 900 ma draw. That adds up to significant extra draw. Best to know if the PT can handle it. Supposedly the Tung Sol and Sovtek draw the same as a 6L6. Bob

VanR

I've actually considered trying a pair of Tung Sol KT66's in my Valveking 112, but frankly the $60 or more a pair has scared me off.

Stu Blue

The K in Kt stands for Kinkless, 6L6s (and related valves) have kink in their response curve... so all the KT series have a more HiFi like output. In some amps they sound bigger or smoother or even airier, but only the Gold Lion ones ( expensive) of modern production sound vaguely like the NOS ones.. and Russian Quality Control is all over the place. The chinese ones (cheap) are OK but on the light and bright side. The PT is the problem......

Trending Topics