KT77 thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hrowe, Jan 22, 2006.

1. hrowe

hrowe Member

I remember seeing a new Eurotube KT77 thread the other day which I did not have time to read and now I can't seem to find it! Tried searching but no luck.

Any ideas where this might be found, or am I just imagining things...

2. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

No your not imagining things. It kind of turned into a pissing match and must have got deleted, which is a shame there was lots of great info in there. Oh well......

3. baron55

baron55 Member

yep JJ has released a new tube the KT77, which kind of falls in the EL34 category, it is a beam tetrode. They are considered a "super" EL34.

The first production run has been sold and the second batch should be here in late January, Bob at Eurotubes and Doug at Doug's Tubes will be selling these.

I was able to get a quad in the first limited production run. The first tubes were pulling more bias current than normal, but seemed to work just fine. A normal KT77 does pull more current than an EL34, but this first run, they were pulling more. So basically you needed to bias them at a higher negative grid voltage, more like in the 6L6 bias range. But apparently this will be corrected on the new production run.

These tubes do not sound like 6L6 familay or the 6CA7 family, but more like a beefed up and more refined version of an EL34.

Bass is very thick and punchy with plenty of warmth and definition. The mids are very clear and smooth with plenty of harmonics. The highs are very clear and detailed, with good presence not dark like some of the other JJ tubes. I would say the frequency response is very balanced. This to my ears is a very thick sounding EL34 with plenty of balls but has the character of a EL34 but more 3 demensional.

It does not sound like a regualr EL34, 6L6, 6550, or 6CA7 tube. It has it's own distinct sound and is most similar to an EL34.

4. fakeox

fakeox Member

Great review Baron55.

5. Matt H

Matt H Guest

how do you think these would stack up in a tube bass amp?

6. baron55

baron55 Member

Don't really know.They would probably sound pretty good. Hi Fi guys really like KT77's

7. rooster

rooster Member

I'm looking forward to finishing my next 2 50W heads; they're both getting the new KT77's, so I'll put in my $0.02 when I'm done.
    rooster.

8. chuby galoso

chuby galoso Member

baron's got good ears, great description. just to add they do draw a litle more filliment curent than most of your other eight pin tubes so make sure your 6.3 winding can handle it.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Dang I didnt see someone started another thread. I just posted a new Thread asking about the current draw. I need it spelled out for me concerning my specific amp.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=126345

Maybe they just can be merged. If not I'll delete mine. Sorry.

10. Rahlstin

Rahlstin Member

Just tried a quad in my DSL100 and two blew in the first 5 minutes. Not real pleased.

11. rooster

rooster Member

Did you rebias when you swapped them in?

rooster.

12. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Whats with the bashing of LV in your sig? He's a stand up guy.
    Doug