KT88 Recommendation for my Modena M90

jbird

Some of the dealers have descent descriptions of the different "brands" of a certain tube type, many a recommendation is so subjective. I'm in the same boat as we speak!

Had a KT88 fry last night...

any brand recommendations...

I don't like any of the modern 6550 branded KT88's.
None of them test, or perform anywhere close to
the originals. They don'ty last very long.
If your amp isn't running KT88 voltages and can accept
6550's, hunt down some NOS GE 6550's.
They'll hold up and sound the best. DR

sled

Some of the dealers have descent descriptions of the different "brands" of a certain tube type, many a recommendation is so subjective. I'm in the same boat as we speak!
Thanks...

I bought a pair of Gold Lion and JJ KT88s from Doug's today.

I don't like any of the modern 6550 branded KT88's.
None of them test, or perform anywhere close to
the originals. They don'ty last very long.
If your amp isn't running KT88 voltages and can accept
6550's, hunt down some NOS GE 6550's.
They'll hold up and sound the best. DR

with the old KT88's the Plate Voltage measured 597VDC and 583VDC. Open circuit it measures 625VDC.

is this too high for a 6550?

jbird

I'm not too savvy on the subject, but I thought the KT88 & 6550 were interchangeable? Why then the plate voltage concern if they're of the same type?
Also, if you would'nt mind a review of the Gold Lions vs. the JJ's!:AOK

sled

I'm not too savvy on the subject, but I thought the KT88 & 6550 were interchangeable? Why then the plate voltage concern if they're of the same type?
Also, if you would'nt mind a review of the Gold Lions vs. the JJ's!:AOK
will do on the review.

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
I think they were about $110

From what I am told by several guys, these test like the old ones and have held up to extreme beatings by me. I love the way they sound when you crank the beast up and you gan bias these up around 50 ma+ no problem. Makes a difference.

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
I believe chinese. Not bad by any means. The Genelex just sound a bit smoother and hold together better. The tone is improved .

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Interesting. Ill have to see how brash and angry it sounds on monday and go from there.

sled

it'll be interesting to hear the difference between the Svetlana 6550 that's installed now and the Genelex KT88

jockman

My amp, Carlsbro 50Top combo, is at the tech getting properly set up for KT88's, it was an EL34 amp.
So far I have tried Chinese 6550's, they were nice, quite a warm sound and they had that lovely 'glass' sound, I then read that the new EH-KT88 was getting great reviews, so I have a pair, my opinion is that they are very much more treble, even sterile sounding, BUT, that was before proper set-up, I then read that the NEW Svetlanas were good, so, gullible me, bought a pair, and yes, they are a lot warmer than the EH and smoother than the 6550's, again, the amp was still not set-up. I would really like to believe the 'hype' about the new Genalex, but, it's becoming expensive, and the Genalex are at the top of the new KT88 price range. JJ's also get a good review, but as usual, it's all down to your ears...

Jon

Trending Topics