Kubicki Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blackbook, Feb 7, 2008.

1. blackbook

blackbook Member

I'm looking to sell my Kubicki strat, but I'm not sure what they are worth. I have seen one on ebay but it had a rosewood body and a floyd rose.

Mine is a straightforward strat, but with two humbuckers in it.

I bought it new in 1986 on the advice of my guitar teacher. The body has a natural finish (alder I think) with an ebony fretboard and a slightly flamed neck.

Anyway, I am just fishing around to see if there are any Kubicki collectors out there who know what this should sell for.

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Good luck! The Kubicki Strat neck I bought (must have been around 1980) is a very nice neck. It's currently mounted on a Frankenstein Tele.

I doubt that there's much demand for Kubicki guitars though.

Phil's currently building some very cool bass guitars. As best as I can tell, he stopped building guitar parts.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Phil is still building in Santa Barbara, mostly basses as Pete points out. They're great guitars, but they have more of a cult status than a collector's status these days.

I don't know what one might be worth. I own a Kubicki Tele with the lightest 2 piece Swamp Ash body ever, and it's a really cool guitar, though it doesn't get a lot of gigging time, not sure why really.

If you want, I'll get you his phone number and you can ask him. PM me if you want ...

Dana O.

4. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I built a strat w/ a Kubicki neck in 1984. It was based on a '62 but with a flatter radius. It's one of the best necks I have ever played. Many, many other people who have played it agree. Many offers of around $1000 have been made(pretty much only for the neck). Not a chance I am selling it, ever.
    Count me in on the cult. lol.

Peace,
    Duffy

5. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I sold my Koa-bodied Kubicki Strat on Ebay about two years ago.

It brought a little over $1200.00 at that time.

One-piece Koa body, EMG's, Floyd Rose, Ebony fingerboard, Birdseye maple neck.

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

$1200 for the exotic woods like koa. I think a "normal" strat would be in the $800-1000 range. Now is a good time to sell, with all of the tax checks coming in.

7. emjee

emjee Supporting Member

I saw a Kubicki blackgaurd Tele at a local guitar show about three yrs ago for 850. Still kickin myself for not jumping on it!

MG

8. blackbook

blackbook Member

This is super helpful. Thanks everyone.