Kudos for Barge Concepts...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gkelm, Oct 1, 2006.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I recently picked up a DB-2 booster pedal...
    http://www.bargeconcepts.com/db1.html

Geoff was great with answering all my questions, etc. before buying. I like to use a boost at both the beginning and end of the chain, and this seemed like a solution in one pedal.

Here's a pic of my slightly messy (oh, the spagetti) board as it stands at the moment...everything is in the loop of the DB-2 except for the Strobo, which is before. I wanted a pre-boost to lift the level of single coils, and then a boost at the end of the chain for a lead boost...this works like a charm, all in one package. To my ears both boosts are clean, clear, and flat...they sound good.

I can also tweak the master & ch. 2 if I want a gritty lead boost, or double goose with both channels. Works just how I wanted it to.

Kudos to Geoff for making a creative, well-built pedal at such a bargain price. In a world of growing pedal prices, it's refreshing to find something for a Ben Franklin that works so well.

Greg

[​IMG]

2. Ommy

Ommy Member

I'm really interested in this pedal. I've been thinking about picking one up for months now. What does it sound like with everything maxed out, as in one channel feeding into the other? Also, can you set it for subtle overdrive on one channel and lead on the other? What do you mean by flat?

3. drolling

drolling Member

Hey! That does seem like a good idea..

Your board also reminds me of my own; an eclectic mix of rare booteek & factory workhorse pedals seems to work best for me.

Are you using the MDEQ's buffer? Mine's presently in the loop of a TIM, where I can't hear much difference one way or the other, but it was very effective when every stomp in my rig was true-bypass. Great pedal, but now that it's discontinued, I'm wondering what Brian'll do next:)

4. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I haven't experimented all that much with gainy sounds, just enough to know you can crank them both and then regulate overall level with the master to get some fairly saturated distortion.

There's a quite a bit of flexibility on the way you can set it up...but yes, for example I like to run both as a smallish clean boost...but can easily pump the volume on channel two to get a mild break up in addition to channel one's clean boost. If you email Geoff he's very helpful.

By "flat" I meant EQ...no perceived boostng of any frequencies.

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

drolling...running it where I do, I have the MD buffer off. I agree, at the beginning of the chain the buffer sounds excellent.

6. duende

duende Member

Hey Greg,

Ya beat me too it. I was just about to post a thread praising Barge Concepts for their VFB-2

http://www.bargeconcepts.com/vfb1.html

It's a loop that allows you to dial in your clean signal. It also has a feedback option which allows you to have your loop feedback into itself. Super cool with delays.

So now I can true-bypass, my beloved DM-2 and DML-20, and get them to self-occilate at the flick of a switch.

Top-notch build quality.... this thing is a steal for $99

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've eyed that one too myself...thanks for the report!

8. Josh O

Josh O Member

I know it's not the VFB-2, but I love my Barge Concepts BB Jr fuzz pedal. They make great schtuff.

9. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Dude's there Compressor kills all. It kicked the beloved 4 knob Keeley, and Diamond compressors off my board!! I wrote a review on harmony-central about the comp..

10. drolling

drolling Member

Aarrgghh.. on a bit of a compressor kick myself, having neglected them for 30 years - I'm actually running TWO of them on my main board, and I was thinking about picking up the BJF Pine Green, which's been recieving rave reviews here - but maybe I should give the Barge a shot instead.. that loop/switcher's awfully tempting, too.. Man, I gotta stop hanging around here..

11. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I'm telling you I loved the Diamond, but when I got the RC-2 it was the one I was kicking on not the Diamond. It got to the point that I was only using the Barge Concept RC-2 and thats why I got rid of the Diamond.

12. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I'm loving my BB jr. It's not just that it's a kick ass pedal, which it is, it's that I've known Geoff since he was in elementary school with my son and it's very cool to have his pedal in my rig. :AOK

13. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind words!

We're a team here on the Barge, and I can't take all of the credit... Barry, our head engineer, makes all of our designs possible; our wives, strong, supportive women that help out when and how they can; and Corey, who has been doing alot of our board prep in recent months... It's the joint effort, as well as your support that makes the Barge possible.

As usual, thank you for your support! If anyone has questions, please drop us a line...

Geoff Bryant
    Barge Concepts.

14. teleshred

teleshred Member

+1 to DB-2. Very flexible, very versatile, all the amounts of boost you could ever want (54dB). Now just wondering how would i use the loop when i'm getting a looper as well..i mean the point of the looper is for TB and less tap dancing:jo

15. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

I've just received my custom VFB-2 which features, switchable 100% wet/blended fx loop and also has a variable impedance buffer inside so I can adjust the impedance going to a fuzz pedal from the active electronics in my bass.

I'm very impressed with how this pedal turned out. The build quality is top notch.

Here is a picture on my board

[​IMG]

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I think of the DB-2 loop as more of a placement option for the boosts, rather than a loop in the bypass sense (kinda like the Tim loop). The DB loop may or may not be useful to you, depending on how you want to use it.

IMO, it's really a fair price on the unit even if it were only a single boost...but it's a double boost. And the loop is icing, but that's what really made it for me.

Greg

17. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

That's a pretty good way of explaining it...

The loop on the DB is not a bypass loop, or loooper, etc... It's just like the effects loop on an amp - simply a routing technique... Think of Channel 1 on the DB as the pre amp, Channel 2 as the power amp, and the MV as the attenuator...

Again, thanks!

18. teleshred

teleshred Member

that's a good way of putting it too!

19. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

Is the VFB-2 about the same as the Xotic X-Blender, without the EQ?

20. duende

duende Member

It's a tradeoff really...

The VBF-2 has no eq, but it does have the feedback loop. I went for the Barge, because I wanted to be able to make my delay's self-occilate. I also found the X-blender's controls to be a bit crowded... and I didn't want my clumsy foot to crush them. But I'm sure it would be ideal for someone else.