Kudos to Fred /13 RSA 23

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pete Faragher, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Just used my new Divided by thirteen RSA 23 at rehearsal tonight and it was SMOKIN'.....
    A very LARGE 23 watts, powered by 2x KT 88's. Tons of headroom, BIG BIG bottom and just generally a bigger sounding amp than it's advertised wattage. Smooth, smooth tone. nothing harsh at all. Both channels have great individual sounds. Both extremely articulate. Here is what I really like about it....It does not sound like anything else (6V6,6L6,el34,el84) I currently own. Has it's own thing going on. Sounded great with both my PRS custom 24 and my Suhr Strat. Although only 23 watts, this amp is loud enough for any gig that I could throw at it
    Without much hyperboyle,,, this could be the perfect amp for Rock-it Science (my band) and me.
    Thanks to Andreas for selling me this beauty.I have a feeling this amp could become my go-to amp. And Kudos to Fred at /13. What a marvelous sounding, original design.

Pete
    www.rockitscience.ca (my band's new website. please visit. clips etc.)

2. miltwill

miltwill Member

Hey Pete,

I'm really interested in the RSA23. I've heard a few clips, but i haven't been able to get a good idea about how the amp feels in your hands. You mentioned that it is smooth sounding. Does it feel vintage, with a nice sag to it, or is it tighter and more dry? I really like sag and a more vintage feel, and if the RSA could do that i'd be all over it. 23 Watts seems about right volume wise. How does the clean sound?

3. Pete Faragher

I haven't played it at an extremely high volume yet to see where it would sag. Although it is very articulate it does seem to have a nice soft touch. But last night I had the amp at "4" (10 o'clock on the vol. knob) so it was completely clean with the Suhr (singlecoils) and just starting to break up with the PRS in the normal channel. At the same setting in the click channel there was just nice amount of breakup for me. I would say it does have a vintage feel in the normal channel but I've not had a vintage amp that sounds like this. I'll have a better idea as time goes on.
    As far as volume is concerned there was lots on tap with my band (medium volume drummer, B3, Bass, and four vocals) Actually my drummer thought I was "a little loud" last night.

Pete

4. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

Yeah, I go back and forth about which /13 will be my first. This one has popped into the equation now on a friend's recommendation. Are there clips online?

Congrats, I'm DYING to pick up a /13 sooner, rather than later. Either the 23 or the 37... for now.

jason

5. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I just bought the SJT 10/20 that was in the emporium! I have never played through a /13, so I'm hoping the reputation is all worth it. I bought a Star amp based on reputation, and it was not my thing at all. Hoping for much joy from the SJT!!

Charlie

6. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

i just bought the jrt 9/15 and it's sooo smoking. the only downside is it might be a little lacking for volume in a loud band setting. the only other one i've tried was an FTR 37 at trutone...and it might be the perfect amplifier!

7. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

Congrats on your purchase. That was originally the model I was going to get, now I dunno what I'm going to do. You won't be disappointed. I saw Rusty Anderson play at Spaceland in L.A. with an SJT and it was KILLING.

jason

8. Richards

Richards Member

Pete, we should try and get together at a hall (Cherry Beach??) to demo the amp, and of course, I will bring my RSA 31, would love to hear the amp. To be honest, my next Div by 13 purchase would be either a FTR-37, or the 10/20 (Looking for a 6V6/6L6 amp), but lets see if the RSA 23 can shift my focus.

9. Pete Faragher

Yeah lets try to set something up. I also have a FTR 37, :D which of course I'll bring. We can always do this at my house. No problem.
    By the way, the 37 ?.....KILLER!!!!! It is a difficult choice, but rewarding.

Pete

10. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I've gottem both ....the 37 and the 23..... Dont need anything else!!! The 23 is like the best marshal you can get with a little vox thrown in and the 37 is like the best fender with a little vox thrown in. It doesnt get any better than these!!!

11. randy morser

randy morser Member

What happens in the tone department when the 23 gets tured up high? Reason being... I'm in a military special band and we are looking at getting our rock amps replaced with RSA 23's. We only buy amps once every 5 years. So gimme the goods. Greasy, nasty details would be quite welcome.

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Hey Pete,

Welcome to the RSA23 club! Try a good a/b box and combine the channels. I always run through the first channel and add the click during solos.

13. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

You're my hero. Those are exactly the two I've been mulling over, I just need to stop buying OTHER stuff and order one.

jason

14. randy morser

randy morser Member

I love the idea of the FRT 37. Is it too loud for gigs? I seem to read that here and there. It's only 37 watts. If this isn't true, let's dispell it.

15. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I think they are both just right! They are both a little loud but I would rather have too much than too little. I have a voodoo labs amp switcher and between the 37 and the 23 with the 4 inputs I have both channels of both amps available.......and it doesnt get any better! Honestly if you can allow enough volume for both...you dont need any pedals for OD at all! You can get your clean fender tones and your clean marshal tones and on the click channels get your dirty fender and dirty marshal tones!!! I love them both and honestly have found my amp gass absolutely gone! Now if I could just stop farting I think all my gas is history!:eek:

16. randy morser

randy morser Member

Talk to me for just a second about what the toe of the RSA is like at higher volumes. Does it change? Deeper? Thinner?