KURT COBAIN: MONTAGE OF HECK

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tomaburque, May 6, 2015.

1. tomaburque

tomaburque Member

Excellent new documentary about Kurt Cobain from HBO. In place of narration there is a very interesting graphical style using Kurt's own handwriting and drawings. Kurt liked to write his thoughts and draw and scribble in spiral-bound notebooks and he left tons of them behind. The creators of this doc had access to the notebooks and animated his writings digitally in a very interesting and artistic looking way. Lots of pictures and clips. Lots of interviews with his family, ex-girlfriend, Krist Novoselic and Courtney Love but Dave Grohl did not appear.

Despite owning Nevermind on CD and recognizing Kurt and his work as a turning point in the history of Rock back in '91, I didn't know that much about his life. Like many great artists, he had a rough childhood. I knew him and Courtney were into heroin but it was worse than I thought. I'll let you watch the program for the details but it is tragic and the whole story left me feeling like a weight was sitting on me after it was over. It wasn't all a bummer, if you appreciate those great songs he wrote you'll get some excellent glimpses of his private life during the time he wrote the tunes on Nevermind. He was playing good and selling out stadiums and not on stage whacked on heroin during the Nevermind tour. Then at the peak of success he went home to take six months off and get high with Courtney. Courtney Love's interview contains some of the hardest stuff to watch as she talks candidly about the drug use while she was pregnant.

Mostly a downer but highly recommended if you have even a passing interest in Nirvana.

2. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

He made some very catchy tunes and classic songs. I've never really cared for too much of it honestly, but the man is infinitely interesting and am excited to check this out!

3. Creighton

Creighton Member

Great documentary, the live footage of them is awesome. As disturbed as he was, I'd say Courtney certainly was not a positive influence on the man's life or career.

irongrl likes this.
  4. wodka

wodka Member

Really fascinating and original. His life was far more tragic than I knew and Courtney certainly didn't help him. I'm amazed that their child even survived given the condition they were in.

irongrl likes this.
  5. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Good film.
    Fascinating story for sure. I liked all the drawings and early audio recordings they show.

Spoiler alert... (can there really be spoilers for a documentary?)

The most tragic part of the movie, for me, was how happy Kurt got when Francis was born, you think he's normal, not high all the time, etc... only to be shown later in that scene of Francis' haircut and he is just high out of his mind again. Depressing.

6. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I've seen everything that comes across the screen about KC and Nirvana, so I am looking forward to this one.

7. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I found it quite fascinating, and very sad.. I came away from it feeling some type of way.

8. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

watched some of it last night. I got very disinterested when Courtney entered the scene, but i plan on watching more.

It was cool seeing the jamming going on when the band was just forming. He definitely had a special talent for creating catchy riffs, and it would appear that he was a much better guitarist than often given credit for.

9. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I've read all the biographies of Kurt (Azzerrad, Cross) and devoured everything Nirvana in the 90's. I watched the first half last night, and I like that Frances told the director to not turn this into a Saint Kurt Rock Doc.

Like the music or not, Kurt was an artistic genius. Much more than a musician. A tortured genius, but a genius.

10. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

Spoiler below

This moment was indeed the most tragic in the whole movie. To see him beaten by addiction that much was incredibly depressing.

Good documentary. I wish Krist got more screen time or revealed more, given that he is probably the longest and most stable relationship in Kurt's life. Courtney may have been a bad influence but it is easy to see why and how these two were attracted to each other.

But, the most important part: Brilliant music.

irongrl likes this.
  11. Chappie

Chappie Member

Well...I just watched some of it...heartbreaking scene with the hair cut. I stopped after that...guess I'm getting soft in my old age. just so sad.

12. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

The real tragedy is hearing Courtney talking about she "almost" cheated on Kurt and it drove him to his overdose overseas ( does she not see that this led to his eventual suicide a month later??). That almost affair was with that ugly buffoon Billy Corgan, whom she did end up with for awhile after his death.

13. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Why not sit at the cafeteria table with the other kids? ;)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1571900

I am certainly no proponent of Courtney's, but I do find it odd that people talk about what a bad influence she was on him as if the opposite couldn't be said or that saying it in the first place makes a whole lot of sense as he was a grown man and certainly no saint...he'd already done heroine and was just as self-destructive as her.

14. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

Let's not bash on Billy Corgan because Courtney Love wants to be a whore.

15. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Who wants honey?

16. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Wait what? What about his post tells you that that's why he's bashing Billy?

Why does that make her a w**** if that doesn't apply to Billy as well?

Why so bitter and nasty? It doesn't become you...

17. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

I will bash on any guy who is trying to screw another guys wife....no doubt Love is tramp, but Corgan is a douche and not blameless

18. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Serious nastiness in here.

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Also, why can't anyone spell heroin?

THERE'S NO "E" AT THE END!

[​IMG]

20. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Courtney is no doubt homely and imo I cringe during the home movies because she is so over the top, annoying and clearly hitching a ride. She has also said so much contradictory stuff over the years that it's making the truth harder and harder to find. She is nails on the chalkboard in montage. Seriously she was the last thing he needed. His bandmates had to have seen the end as soon as she entered the picture, not suicide but a wedge between them and Kurt.