Kurzweil, Mangler (demo vids)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatback, Jun 13, 2006.

1. fatback

fatback Member

After reading about Mr. Kurzweil's freak-box on HCfx, I had to check one out. A little Ebaying later and...

[​IMG]
    :eek: Wow! This thing holds some real surprises...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the first couple of Mangler vids:

mangled leslie
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=574597433033811185

cold badonkin'
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5413293026426826692

These clips demo the surprisingly good Leslie cabinet sim. It only has 2 speeds, fast and slow, but the ramp sounds excellent. I pickup up the Mangler for its more whacked-out sounds, but can see this patch getting a lot of use. I have owned and sold the latest Boss and Digitech leslie sim pedals. While it's not fair to compare a pedal with a rack, the Mangler's leslie just kicks those paperweights to the curb. :p

In these vids I'm using a Grosh baritone through a bjf PGC and a SBeq and then into an Acoustic Image, Clarus and out into an Aguilar 1x10 cab. This is my all purpose home rig/PA that I use for bass, baritone, synth, or drums around the apartment. The Mangler is running into the Clarus' effects loop. I can't wait to try it in stereo.

(more to come soon...)

rack is dead... Long live Rack!

2. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

Oh yeah, me likey.

I would love to hear some more of what it has to offer (phase, panning, etc.).

I am looking for a cheaper rack unit that would provide some really cool mod type effects that are useful in a guitar rig.

3. fatback

fatback Member

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Fatty, you are becoming an ambient guitarist-any plans to join King Crimson? That is so cool-is the Sherman new-are they still made? Now you need a Mutator and you are in OK Computer land. Seriously you need to check out Simeon Harris who posts at www.hugeracksinc.com. He did a series of amazing Eventide Eclipse clips with stock presets no less and his website is way cool too-www.simeonharris.co.uk. I think we need to start a rack annex here-I am intrigued again and I do not want to go down that road again-paging Mr. Bradshaw, Mr. Bob Bradshaw!!!

5. fatback

fatback Member

6. todd richman

Stop, I need one of those badly-you are fast becoming a very intriguing ambient guitarist-I smell a Crimson tribute band or maybe "another" Floyd tribute band on the horizon. Really, that thing is mesmerizing and your creativity is pretty darn amazing too! I like the Kangol cap too-nice touch!!! So are you ready to sell the Pro Analog stuff, buy an Eclipse, Orville or H8000, a few TC rack units(Fireworks and G Force come to mind) and do the whole space music trip!!! I love that stuff too along with my Crowes/Pie/Zep influenced rock. Keep 'em coming pleazzee!!!

7. fatback

fatback Member

I have two more Mangler vids in the can, using a Breedlove, Passport mini acoustic with some of the flanged-delay patches. I was going after the tone from Joe Walsh's "the Confessor", but was happily distracted on the way. I'll post these last two clips once they clear the Google-video upload process. These should finish me off for the Mangler clips. I've got some other new toyz I want to play with...;)

I enjoy the atmospheric stuff, but like a lot of things, it's best in short doses for me. Once I've built up a clean spacey loop, I usually feel the need to do a 180 and hit the gain.
    :YinYang

8. muddy

muddy Member

i've been tellin' you guys for years now about the mangler!! all it's algorhythms come from it's most excellent big brother's, the ksp8, which is a $2,700 multi-fx unit.

ml

9. fatback

fatback Member

I guess it fell on deaf ears, since I had been so anti-rack anything the last few years. The Mangler has totally spun me around. I also have a Vortex, but this thing is on another level!

So Muddy, now that my ears are open, are there any other cool mutant rack pieces that you'd reccomend?

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

..Yeah I completely missed this one,,,, very cool FB !!

11. fatback

fatback Member

12. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Great watch as usual Fatback...

Now, get to and do me a comparison video of your Pro Analog Dual Drive and Dirt Royale w/Cheese using your Tele......"what, you don't do requests?" damn!

13. fatback

fatback Member

Cheers. I had a great time making these clips.

I'm afraid I don't have my Dirt-Royale yet. I know Muddy loves to stack the combination of the DR and the DD. He may even have clips of both pedals...

I could generalize and say that the DD is more of a boost/od while the DR is more of a grind/distortion box with a "nuke" switch. The DD can work as a clean boost while the DR cleans-up incredibly well when you back out your guitar's volume. Both are very cool pedals.
    :YinYang

14. Chevelle

Chevelle Member

I've read that both the Rumor and Mangler have the best converters anywhere near their price range.

Those vids sound great.

15. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Well . . . . that confirms one thing for me. This week I had the opportunity to try out several Baritone Guitars and I was dumbstruck with painful GAS!!

I want a baritone today!!

But alas . . . no time soon can I aford anything of the like . . .

Mangler sounds good too . . . and I like the Ebow thingy

16. muddy

muddy Member

the converters in the r & m are the same (i believe...) as the ksp8's, and are indeed very good. i know of some engineers that HAVE used them for that purpose alone on the odd occasion. and to answer your question fatty, these 2 pieces pretty much stand alone as remarkable in their price range. there is the eclipse at $2,000, but it's pretty much a crippled version of their EXCELLENT harmonizer/orville range. i'll tell you an odd piece that an engineer/friend of mine did some of the algo's for, and that's the ensoniq dp4+. and it has 4 i/o's that can be arranged in ANY config (2 x 2, 4 x 1, 1 x 2 & 2 x 1...)! i LOVE the flanging algo's! it IS a little noizy, but in a guitar rig, that wouldn't be so tragic. the really good news is they can be had for $200 or so.

ml

17. fatback

fatback Member

Thanks Muddy, I'll keep an eye out for a DP4+. The ins and outs options sound like it could be big fun with a mixer and an Akai Headrush for soundscapes and installations.

18. todd richman

So you went from Fripp/Edge, etc to ambient guys ala Michael Brooks to the Adrian Legg/Michael Hedges all with one amazing little, well 19" wide box. QUite impressive-now back to the crunch before this becomes the New Age Page!!! Cool stuff-you need to do the same for the Eclipse and new H8000-wanna go halvsies on them?!!