Kustom "200" Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drmcclainphd, Jan 21, 2015.

1. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Member

I picked up a Kustom K200B four channel PA head. The back panel has three 1/4" jacks in it, two next to each other near top left, and one near bottom right. None are marked. I can't tell if there are one or two speaker outs, if there's a monitor jack, a pre-out/amp-in pair, a foot switch jack, or if they're just air holes so the poor little gremlins who make the loud by jumping up and down on the smoke components don't suffercate. I've tried the schematic, or so it says. It shows eight jacks. I count seven, four on the front for the four channels, and these unmarked three. Kustom is no help. They are not the company that built this. In fact, the previous Kustom isn't the company that built it either, ~1970.

Anyone have one of these, or the manual thereto? I'd like to know what goes where, and if the pair is for speakers, what my impedance options are.

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

should be able to tell by pulling the chassis
    at least 2 on back are speakers outs + possibly a monitor out. The came with two column speakers

see schEmatics at http://www.vintagekustom.com/

Hook it up and plug speakers into all the outputs - 2 should work, the one that does nOt is likely the monitor

3. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Agree.
    And power output for a "200" is around 100W RMS into 4 ohms total (so 2 x 8 ohms columns/cabinets) .

4. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Member

Thanks, I guess there shouldn't be anything coming out any of them with more power than full output, so speakers capable of handling that would be safe if plugged into a "wrong" jack. Such as, no harm will come if it's a footswitch.

Are the two outputs directly parallel? In other words, a single 4 ohm load plugged in by itself is treated as 4, not getting connected as an 8 ohm load with the other side hanging open? It's not stereo, so I don't see how an open output would be a problem, but I do have a Peavey that has one output marked SPKR-1 ONLY 8 ohm OR SPKR-1 and SPKR-2 @ 4 ohm, and a Q-Tube that has a 4 out and an 8 out, that apparently involved a switched jack before being pulled from the combo.

Directly parallel would also mean that as long as impedance is handled properly, different capacity speakers can be used, yes? (ie. the EV Force 15 @ 200 wRMS capacity and a 75 w capacity sub).

I was trying to avoid having to take it apart to decipher things, but it looks like maybe I should anyway. The power cord is brittle old 18 ga. zip cord and the two prong plug is so old that it's not polarized. I might just see about replacing it with a 3 prong.

5. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I've had a couple of these, and from my memory, the two jacks together are speaker outputs, and the single jack is for a reverb switch. The original column speakers that came with those were 8 ohm cabs. So, I believe that with two cabs hooked up to the two outputs, it makes for a 4 ohm load on the amp. That's where you get the full 100 watts RMS. Those 200 PA heads work well for guitar. They have a smokey clean sound that's great for some cool jazz tones. And the spring reverb is pretty good on those. If you turn the reverb off, you can use it for a bass head as well. They have plenty of power, and lots of punch through a 4x12 guitar cab. They sell for cheap (usually less than $200), and I buy everyone one I come across that works. They're built with good components, and seem to keep working as long as they're not abused. And they just look so cool.

6. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Member

Mike,
    Got this one for $100 flat. Not so much a looker -- plain flat black naugahyde. Maybe a sickly nauga. Hey, nobody hears the sparkles anyway. Odd little bit, no handle. I got it because of its bass ability, was glad it came with 4 channels suitable for pretty much anything. Been using Kustom drivers for cab building for a while now, and sorry I waited all this time for the electronics. I'm leaning towards collecting a few myself.

What drivers were in the two PA speakers? Not the Turbos, were they?