Kustom '36 Coupe appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RichieRich, Jul 24, 2008.

1. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

I love my Kustom '36 coupe. It's the best sounding and most versatile sub $1000 amp with the loudest 36 watts i've ever owned ($849.99 new). I bought my red tuck and roll 1x12 used for $330 on eBay when they first came out and people weren't onto them yet. Beautiful, sparkling Fendery cleans, roaring overdrive, +10 boost button, pull brights on both channels, awesome direct out, tube driven effects loop, baltic birch cab, great build quality and the footswitch is great. The only thing that falls short for me is the reverb. It can get pretty messy when turned up high, but I never do that anyway. Tone at 0 and intensity at 8:45 is enough to wet it a little for me. My only mod to the amp was fresh JJ 6L6's and 12AX7's. It's cathose biased, so the tube change was a breeze. They really brought this amp to life harmonically. Thank you Kustom! :banana

[​IMG]

Kustom '36 Coupe @ MF:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-36-Coupe-36w-1X12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480794

Harmony Central reviews:
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Kustom/'36+Coupe+112+Combo/10/1

2. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

Does it sound good at apartment levels?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  3. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

I went to the local music store and played a Kustom 36 1x12. Wow. It sounded fantastic. You can play perfect cleans all the way up to great, smooth distortion like Satriani and Vai or metal like Ozzy. I ended up buying one on Musicians Friend.

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

it sounds awesome at low volumes and only gets better as you crank it up!

5. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

Why don't we hear more about this great amp?

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I played the 72 Coupe once and it was real nice. It actually kinda surprised me. The only thing that came close to pulling off great cleans and smooth gain in one box was the Budda Superdrive 30, which is also more than double the price. Can't go wrong with Kustom. The new Traynor YCS50 is also damn good at $700 brand new!!

7. 5E3

5E3 Member

OH PLEASE!
    [​IMG]

It's not a point-to-point bootique that costs the equivialnt of three house payments. That's why!!! ;) :D ;)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  8. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

It sounds as good as alot of them.

9. 5E3

5E3 Member

Yeah, my post was dripping with sarcasm in case I didn't make that point :) I was looking to try out one of the new Kustoms, and I watched a new floor model of the '72 Coupe (from an authorized dealer with full warranty) go for ~$400 on eBay a few months ago!

[​IMG]

I about croaked, since they go for $999 at MF! I didn't have the bucks and didn't need another big amp, but at that price I could have flipped it and made a couple of hundred in the process :(

There have been some good reviews of the new Coupes and I'd like to try one out eventually.

Cheers!

10. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

I'm sorry for being so dense. I love sarcastic humor and yours blew right by me. The things is, there are some people so snobby that I thought you were being serious.

11. FenderStrat

FenderStrat Member

Has anyone compared the distortion on the Kustom 36 to the distortion on a Peavey Classic 30?

12. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

i think the '36 coupe has more distortion on tap without using any od pedals.

13. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

I bought an Anniversary model 1x12 Coupe 36 3 months ago. I started gigging regularly and needed a versatile amp. I was using a 4210 JCM 800 1x12 that has that one great sound but didnt cut it for fendery type stuff.

I'm really pleased so far. The clean channel can be dialed in for SRV shuffle, or Skynard raunch. The gain side is nice for beefy leads and rhythms but it was missing that marshall mid eq spike. Since the channels share EQ it was hard for me to dial in a happy medium for both channels.

I then got the idea to place an EQ pedal in the effects loop. I set the EQ for a mid spike and voila I have a great sounding Marshall grind very reminiscent of my 18 watt Ceriatone 1974x clone, but with gobs more gain.:dude I also put in my old Vintage 30 as the stock Kustom Eminence is a little flabby. This just improved upon the already great sounding tone I was getting.

What a great sounding amp with loads of versatility. I can play a whole gig of 70's,80's,90's rock without stepping on any overdrive pedal. The footswitch does it all. Love the boost function, and the fact that I can dial in just the right amount is cool too.

I'm looking to buy the Coupe 72 now. More headroom and the tremolo/vibrato sounds great.

14. straticus

straticus Member

I've always liked those Coupe 36 combos.

But was a bit unsure about the dependability factor.