Kustom 36 Coupe vs Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mikeller, Oct 10, 2006.

1. mikeller

mikeller Member

Has anyone had the opportunity to use the Hot Rod Deluxe & Kustom 36 coupe? I'd be curious of the opinions. Thank you

2. p.snail

p.snail Member

I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but I think the Kustom Coupe slams the the HRD's. Before I continue let me say this. I have owned a Hot Rod Deville 4x10, 2x12, and a Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 before trying the Coupe amplifiers. I always thought the Hot Rods were anemic sounding. The OD was terrible and the clean was very sterile. A lot of people on here recommend using pedals with them, but I found they don't take OD's and Distortions very well either. Just my opinion, but nevertheless, I'll never, ever, ever,ever buy another Fender HRD amp again. I then went on to try the Peavey Classic stuff. Greatly improved over the Fender HRD, but still was lacking something. Enter the Kustom coupe. I approached this amp with complete prejudice. It was Kustom, it couldn't possibly sound good right? Wrong. I now own the Coupe 72. The cleans are great plus you can dial in that channel to get a very cool sounding kind of light OD. The Distortion channel is just more. It has more size and depth to it than the Peavey, and destroys the HRD. This is just my opinion, so please don't take it as Gospel, but I've owned and I sell all three brands. I can play whatever I want from here and I ended up with the Kustom. I'm really very happy with it. More so than I was when I had a Koch Twintone which costs significantly more than this amp did. I have played several 36 coupes as well. They are pretty much identical in tone, just the 72 is more power and has tremelo.

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

I hadn't heard of the 36 Coupe before, so I googled it up and checked it out. There's a cool video demo of it on their site. This is a much, much nicer sounding amp from that video than the Fender, by far. The lead channel though has a weird dark tone to it, makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking, why they left it like that. It's very close to being great, and if not for that darkness on the lead channel it would be. But even so it blows away the Hot Rod amps. Kind of cool looking to, in a Kustom sort of way.

4. Magic Twanger

Magic Twanger Member

5. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I have to agree with you all that the stock Fender Hot Rod series amps has sterile clean channel, the drive/more drive channel really sucks, and the master volume on the drive channel gets loud quickly. I have tried the Peavey Classic amps and for their price range it's ok. I have yet to try the Kustom Coupe '36. I have an Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe and I'd like to bring that into a shootout with the Kustom Coupe '36. It's a whole new beast after Jim does his tweaks to it.

Guitar George

6. p.snail

p.snail Member

I've heard very good things about the Omega Modded amps. I have yet to hear one in person. I too would be interested to hear if anyone has tried this comparison. I guess my only hangup with the Omega mods were that I'd have to put almost the cost of the amp (Used that is) back into it to get something worth a crap out of it. I'm sure the Omega mods make a tremendous difference. I just couldn't pull the trigger. Then if I still hated it I would have pissed away that much more money just to figure out I still hate HRD's :D . I wish I had more money available to experiment with those amps. It's one of those things you can't try before you buy.

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey p.snail,

Too bad you don't live near me. I would be happy to let you demo my Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe. Here is a link to Jim Price's website:
    http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

The modded Hot Rod Deluxe clips are from Gear Page member, Deaj. Both of us had our Hot Rod Deluxes modded at the same time. It's the best $250.00 I've spent on an amp mod. Your best bet is to demo one of these amps from someone, check out Deaj's clips on the Omega Amps website or call Jim Price to have him play one over the phone. Only a few of the Gear Page website members such as Deaj, Stelligan and myself own one of these modded Hot Rod series amps.

Guitar George

8. hasserl

hasserl Member

Well, I've got a modded Carvin Nomad I'd put up against your HRD. You in So Cal?

9. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey hasserl,

I saw your posting. I'd love to check out your modded Carvin Nomad. I'm in Nor Cal. Perhaps we can meet up one of these days?

Guitar George

10. mikeller

mikeller Member

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

This might be a crazy question - but how would the Kustom 36 Coupe stack up against a Silverface Deluxe Reverb?

I have a HRDx and a SFDR, neither of which I am enamored with at the moment....

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

The 36 Coupe got a great review recently in Guitar Player I think it was. For the money people say it can't be beat and then some.

12. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey mikeller,

If you have the Hot Rod Deluxe, go check out the Omega Amps website and listen to the clips of Deaj's modified Hot Rod Deluxe here:
    http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

My Omega Amps modded HRDx totally kills!! My friend let me borrow some KT-66 power tubes which makes really British sounding.

Guitar George