Kustom 72 coupe question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zenguitarguy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

Anyone own one and use it professionally?
    Thoughts/opinions/experiences?
    thanks

:AOK:AOK:AOK

2. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

i use the Coupe '36. the clean channel is to die for, and the gain channel is really versatile. it takes pedals well and the loop is super clean. it has become my "go to" amp.

my favorite features are the power tubes can be swapped and the amp adjusts the bias automatically plus, the output to the p.a. has an adjustable trim and the sound is exactly what you hear from the speaker.

the extension speaker out is nice. i use a closed back 2X12 cab loaded with Eminence Red Fangs, and the sound is monsterous!!

it is one of the few amps that the shared EQ works for both channels with no adjustments.

the cleans are more Fender than Vox, the OD channel is british voiced, but not totally Marshall. the amp was designed with Billy Gibbons sound in mind and the amp has that ZZ Top drive.

if i can answer more in depth questions, feel free to ask.

3. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

I just got the Kustom to try and i noticed a few things right off, one) it runs really hot, 2) not so sure about the reverb, 3) there is a strange almost muffled quality, not laser beam like a twin, more diffuse, not sure if I like it or not, and there also seems to be a slight delay between when I hit the note and it sounds, or like the attack is softened somehow? Also it just doesn't seem that loud, maybe I am just used to a twin?

hmnnnn...will keep looking at this issue....thanks for responding:dude:dude:dude

4. sfletch

sfletch Member

thanks....that's the kind of info. I was looking for on the 36.... are you using the 1x12 or 2x10?

5. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

i use the 1x12, SFLETCH. the amp runs cooler than my Mesa DC-3, but hotter than the Mesa F-100, so the heat is not out of the ordinary. i have never experienced a shut down or tube failure.

it is not as loud as a Fender Twin, but i could never get a twin to really cook without blowing people out of a venue. maybe you play larger clubs? the Twin is 100 watts and 2x12 speakers, that is probably the best clean sounding amp ever made. big shoes to fill for any amp!!

i have never experienced the delay you mentioned. i always use a compressor in front of the amp. maybe that helps me out.

the reverb is useable, but i find it to be lost in almost all live situations anyway. it is better than lots of great amps, but again, you compare to one of the best reverbs there are.

if you love the Fender vibe, try out the DRRI. it would be more to your liking for sure.

i love my Kustom Coupe '36 because I found "my" sound there. the Kustom is not as focused, but really a nice "airy" amp. i like the fact that it is different and still sounds like i want it to.