Kustom HV65

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by lazy912, Feb 29, 2008.

1. lazy912

lazy912 Member

so i have a kustom HV65. this is my 1st high end amp, well, it may not actually be high end or anything but its my 1st amp that didn't come with a guitar. :rolleyes: anyways, i bought her used off ebay. when i play thru the rhythm channel, why does it get all fuzzy and dirty? shouldn't it be clean? also, i was thinking about replacing the preamp tubes 12AX7 with 12AU7. my church lead guitarist told me it would sound better and less overdriven. should i go about doing that? or should i keep the 12AX7? also, i'm considering a speaker changed, the previous owner changed the speaker once to a celestion rocket. i was thinking about the Electro-Harmonix 12VR8, the same church friend told me that it sounds like a broken in vintage 30, just cheaper. anyways, any helpful advice would be great.

2. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

The 50 watt Celestion Rocket is a bit underpowered for the 65 watt HV65,so that might be part of your problem with the clean channel breakup.For a hybrid combo,the Celestion G12T-100 is a solid choice and can be had for around $60.00.

As for the preamp tube,the 12AU7 might work fine if you like smoother breakup and don't play much heavier music.Maybe try swapping some different 12AX7's and see what your ears decide sound best.Good luck.

Ed

3. lazy912

lazy912 Member

thanks for the advice, i'll look into the Celestion G12T-100. i never actually thought about using that speaker before.

4. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

No problem.I find that Dave at www.avatarspeakers.com has the best prices around on most Celestion speakers.His price on the G12T-100 is hard to beat.

Ed

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Your the same guy with the losing pedal tone thread yes?

Are you sure the amp is functioning correctly?

What is the control layout on the amp? you should have a preamp gain and a master volume. Use the preamp or gain knob to adjust your dirt levels. Then use your master volume for loudness. This is probably why your pedals sound bad... your running them on a gained out preamp. If you are using a distortion pedal you should have the amp set to a very clean tone or just slightly breaking up.

I'm gonna find some info on that amp and see if I can give you some settings.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

OK, that amp is two channel, two master volume. On your rythym channel, turn the gain low and use the volume to adjust overall loudness. On the lead channel, turn the gain higher and again, adjust volume for overall loudness.
    The problem you are having with your pedals is most likely that you are running them using distortion from your amp. I see you have a boss dirtbox , a comp, a wah, a flange a delay a chorus and a phase all in the guitar line.

Try this layout...The time based effects (delay, chorus, flange)don't sound right over amp dirt. Put those in the effects loop. Then run your guitar to amp like this.... guitar>wah>comp>distortion>phase>amp.

You will need two more cables for the loop effects.

NOW, you have to decide if you like your dirtbox distortion or your amps distortion. If you want pedal distortion, try this. Using your rythym channel, set the gain low, volume to taste and turn off all pedals. You should have a very clean sound. Now add the distortion pedal and adjust it till you like what you hear.

NOW, try using only amp distortion. turn off the dirtbox and turn up the gainon the rythym channel. You can use the dirtbox if the amp is still pretty clean sounding. As you turn up the gain on the amp, it will get to be too much gain if you want to use the distortion pedal. In general, the more amp distortion you use, less pedal distortion should be used.

NOW you can try the lead channel. Turn the dirtbox off, the preamp around noon and volume to taste. I'm just guessing but with that amp i'm thinking that will be an assload of distortion right there. Using the distortion pedal on top of that will be way too much gain. Especially if the pedal is a Boss Heavy metal pedal.

Long thread shortened, you need to find out if you like amp distortion or pedal distortion.

A quick reference... run the amp clean and use the distortion pedal or run the amps distortion and use the pedal sparingly, meaning turn the gain on the pedal down when using amp distortion.

That amp is a hybrid amp, meaning you have a 12ax7 preamp tube and a solid state power amp. My advice would be to first work out how you will run the amp before you throw money around on tubes and speakers.

7. lazy912

lazy912 Member

thanks rob for that fine bit of information. that is interesting. but i have tried that, i lowered the gain on the rhythm channel and i use the volume control to level it to what i like and i've been fine tuning my pedals eq and my amp's eq so that everything would sound better. to be honest, i like the distortion from the amp but it just doesnt do it for me, i cant pinch like i can from my pedals. but the dist from my amp does sound better than my pedal does when i use the pwdal thru this amp. but when i use the pedal thru another amp it sounds a lot better. i'm not sure why. to answer your 1st few questions in your 1st post, yes that is me and i'm not sure if the amp is properly working myself. this is my 1st real amp, if you dont count a 10watt crate starter amp as a real amp.

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member