• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

L.A. Amp Show

dougk

Silver Supporting Member
A real pleasure to meet everyone, from Dougk, to the Fractal guys, to Adam with Tungsten amps (really enjoyed the Crema), and Andy w/ Fuchs. Every piece of gear I tried was great, but the sense of community I witnessed made the event for me. I hope the show went great for everyone, and of course continued success!

joe
(the ph.d. guy)
Thank you so much for coming by!! Really appreciate it!

Purplexi

The Friedman Amplifiers with Scumback speaker/cab combinations was for many,my self included, the gear to beat. Other heavy hitters were Metro Amps with their 66 JTM 100 "Monterey" stack, JTM's 45-50 combo & amp and more modern "brown sound" plexi JMP 50-100, all into really exacting repro cabs.
JT Sound's "Tomas ZewicZ" amps featured a very cool 8/35 watt cathode biased head and my favorite(besides the Freidman "Naked" w/Scumback J/H75's) was the Tomas ZewicZ 40/70 watt head-dual fixed bias w/ buffered FX loop, Sustain feature and a host of 12AX7's, 12DW7, 3-12AT's into a quartet of EL 34's. TZ's handsomely covered, accompanying cabs and combo's sounded killer too!
Another monster amp that got my attention was the BC Audio 15/25 watt "Amplifier 7", the recipient of Guitar Player Magazine's coveted Editors Pick Award. It came beautifully built into a 5w sized headbox. Varying tolex applications were trumped by BC's Porche Can Am-light blue w/orange race stripe, vinyl offering "Gulf" scheme. As if that werern't enough, the little box of rectified tube destruction is also available in a racked steel 50 caliber belted Ammo can, olive finished with yellow government lettering!
Tons of other great gear from all the best, 65 Amps, Bludotone, Goodsell, Fuchs, Fender, Egnater, no Marshall but the Vox jam/demo room was a happy place for chime'sters to visit.

Last edited:

Purplexi

I heard Jim of Southbay Ampworks play his "Fool" SG with the Friedman "Naked" amp. The cab used was a Scumback 68 tall vintage 4x12 bottom. Everything in that set up, in that room for that matter just oozed tone. The Friedman amps crunch and mid tones were deeply rich, complex and highly focused. The speakers I heard were the H75 65 watters that were as silken on the highs as they were punchy in the lows. Even the grill cloth of the cabs boasted tone with the use of Collins Bluesbreaker pinstripe!

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Are you sure they weren't J75's???
The Naked got hooked up to everything at some point. Mostly the J75's, but the tall bottom had H55/M75's this year, the purple cab had H75's, the NAKED cab had M75's. Purplexi might have read the labels wrong, easy to do.

Last edited:

Dana Olsen

He meant to say Albert Lee, who's a regular at my jam. In a surprisingly related note, Albert King's mgr is a regular who hangs out every week here too.
Hey Andy -

Dana Olsen here, how ya doin? I got to hang some with Paul Sanchez and he told me you were at the show, but I never saw you. The sounds coming out of the Line 6 room were pretty stellar (pretty loud too, so I didn't get inside the room much).

Albert Lee was there too, eh, and I didn't see him either - DANG. I DID see Pete Anderson hanging around. I was there when he stepped into the Fuchs amp room. Paul Marr, Fuchs endorser and fab guitarist said, "Too bad we don't have a Tele", so I hoofed it out to my car and grabbed a Nocaster.

Trotted it back to the room and I got to watch Pete Anderson play my Tele through a Fuchs ODS - pretty cool for me! Pete's a tolerably good Tele player (GRIN), and Andy Fuchs makes a pretty tolerable amp (GRINGRIN) as well as a tolerable Delay (I gotta quit with the GRIN stuff) - and no surprise to anyone, it sounded GREAT!

Modern Technoloigy Note:Though I had my new-ish Droid phone in my pocket, I neglected to take either video OR photos (DANG!) But I do have witnesses.

Congrats Andy on the work ya'll have done w/ Paul Sanchez and on the new HD Pod pedal series - I can't wait to hear an HD-500 w/ one of Paul's "Secret Sauce" tube buffers - should be really cool!

Thanks, sorry I missed you, Dana Olsen (drop me a call sometime - 805-570-2062)

Purplexi

The Naked got hooked up to everything at some point. Mostly the J75's, but the tall bottom had H55/M75's this year, the purple cab had H75's, the NAKED cab had M75's. Purplexi might have read the labels wrong, easy to do.
Yeah well, sorry I didn't get to hear the new J's but whatever you had in that tall 4x12...just honked it. I thought I read H-something, so many watts, need to keep my glasses on. Hey, could I get a white one(68 TB) with salt n' pepper grill, H55/H75's? Or maybe I better check the J's first?...e-mailing!!

Scumback Speakers

You guys treated my amp like a whore! :Devil
Yes, we did treat her like a NoHo hooker. I want to say I'm sorry...but I just can't. :rotflmao

Yeah well, sorry I didn't get to hear the new J's but whatever you had in that tall 4x12...just honked it. I thought I read H-something, so many watts, need to keep my glasses on. Hey, could I get a white one(68 TB) with salt n' pepper grill, H55/H75's? Or maybe I better check the J's first?...e-mailing!!
You need to come down when the new demo room is done. Should be all dialed in around mid November.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Silver Supporting Member
He meant to say Albert Lee, who's a regular at my jam. In a surprisingly related note, Albert King's mgr is a regular who hangs out every week here too.
Ok. I was thinking maybe he meant B.B. King. Albert Lee, dang you must be one fine player to be jammin' with Albert Lee! As I mentioned earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another thread) I was definitely suffering from chops envy at the Amp Show.

Trending Topics