L6 DT25 / DT50 questions

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gigbag, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

1) I have all my current HD500 set up for stereo. With the single amp, do you have to set up separate POD presets for mono? Or can you just plug into the DT amp and have it run without changing presets?

2) If I like the DT enough, I may sell off gear and get a second one for stereo (but mainly for more live power, when needed). I like the idea of the smaller DT25.

3) How quiet/noise free is the DT amp for home practice? Any hiss, etc?

I just got the Korean Tyler Variax (but waiting for all the parts that failed to ship with it -- battery, charger, etc.), and am again thinking about getting the whole L6 guitar system.

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. DarthVanHollis

DarthVanHollis Member

I will do my best to answer.

1) You do not have to set up for mono but in many cases I would suggest it. The L6 link sends out a summed mono signal to the DT-50/25 (unless you are using multiple amps). The main reason I state this however is that I prefer the Preamp models and no cab simulation when using the DT-50. Some would disagree with me about the cab simulation but most would agree about using Preamp models. You can plug in and play like you suggest, but personally, I have two different set lists, one for practicing at home with headphones (full amp models and cabs) and another set up with exact same effects but with preamps and no cabs for rehearsal. Ultimately, you will have to decide on your own.

2) In my opinion it is not worth it to go stereo in a live situation. That being said, for the type of music you play and how loud you band is, it may work for you. If you need the extra volume, simply get an extension cab. I have the DT-50 head and a 4x12 cab. If I really want to lower the volume I can run the cab so that only 2 of the speakers are actually working. There are lots of tricks you can use and still get a great sound.

3) Although some people have complained about hiss/noise with the DTs I just don't hear it. I use a noise gate on the POD but it is not set for extreme and is before the preamp. I don't hear any hiss, feedback (unless I want it), or excessive noise.

I don't own any Variax's and I never will. They just don't appeal to me. I really like to feel like I'm a part of the instrument and their designs, to me, are ugly and not comfortable to play.

Ultimately, I suggest trying out the amp somewhere before you buy it or buy somewhere that has a return policy. You really should try it out with your guitar and POD to see what the full integration is like.

Remember that anything you read on here is going to be that person's opinion. Many people have not taken the time to understand how to work this setup and suffer because of it. I have seen too many times that someone was working on getting a sound for weeks and not being successful because they had a misconception or inaccurate piece of information that was causing them to cloud their judgement and not listen for themselves.

Good luck!!!! I hope whatever you finally get you are very happy with.

I love my DT-50 and POD HD 500 and I feel I have the best tone I have every gotten in 25 years.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

You will most likely need to adjust your stereo patches to make them sound right to you in mono.

I have two DT50 2x12's. You can put me in the "I'd rather be in stereo" crowd but you will get many opinions on this. I prefer being in stereo and it works great for this. If you're getting two, I'd consider the 1x12. The 2x12's are great but they're big for combo's...and heavy, if that's an issue for you. The 1x12's have been reviewed great by a lot of people.

I've heard other people complain about the hiss from their amps. While the amps are not totally silent, I don't find hiss to be any issue at all.

The amps sound very good at low volumes. Very practice-able. That does not mean that what sounds good at low volume sounds good with volume cranked.

I haven't really used Vx through the DT50's.

Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out.

4. Giampaolo

Giampaolo Member

I just bought a new HD500 (I already have one that I use in the studio and I also have a M13)
    I'm also taking an amp to use together, I will use both live (in theater) and at studio.

I would like to better understand one thing: why the DT25/DT50 is better than an active amp (like Tech21 PE60)?
    The HD preamp of DT is not the same of HD500?
    When used together, if I understand correctly, the preamp of the DT is excluded ... so why it sounds better than a normal active amp?

Thanks!

5. Johnny Vox

Johnny Vox Member

When you use the two together you use the Pre in the HD and the power amp of the DT. It sounds better than a Tech21 because it's a real tube power section which configures itself to mimic what the actual amp would be doing (bias, negative feedback loop, etc.).

It can be a bit difficult to wrap your head around but think of the DT50 as a configurable power amp (analog) and the HD as a configurable preamp (digital).

6. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

DarthVanHollis: I am sure I'll prefer my analog guitars in general, but I was interested in the Variax features for recording variety mostly. I'll have to see how well it works.

7. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

The DT50 1x12 is plenty of amp. If your pretty sure about going stereo the DT25 would probably be great and a lot less weight. I agree with what has been said....new patches will be in order but you'll be able to delete the eqs and save another block if you use the reverb on the amp. You will love yourself for buying this amp! I wish I could afford a JTV69...best all around rig on the market in my opinion.

8. Giampaolo

Giampaolo Member

ok, I'm sure to buy a DT...
    ...now: 25 or 50?

The DT-25 weighs less (and no small thing) and costs less ... but are 25w so loud ?
    I play with a 7 elements band in theaterand small hall.

9. geoangus

geoangus Member

adding to that last question: how is the clean headroom of the DT25? My last 20 watt combo (Tophat Club Royale) had incredibly good breakup when cranked, except I sometimes wanted it to stay clean.

10. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

That's a great question that I forgot to ask.

11. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I have the DT50 but...The clean headroom has a lot to do with which preamp your using in the hd500. I use the blackface deluxe (topology I)and the bassman(topology II) preamps with the drive around 30 to 40 and the master cranked. They both stay clean.

12. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

I've had stereo DT50's (1x12's) and I now run stereo or mono DT25's with an HD500. I also have a JTV69US.

I agree with just about everything that's been said so far. Stereo is great but you should probably dial your dual amp/stereo patches back to mono so that it sounds better. I haven't loved how the HD sums to mono.

The DT50 was a little louder in terms of noise floor. There was a hiss when I was sitting at home paying at practice volumes, but at gig volume it's a non-issue. DT25 has almost no noise/hiss at any volume. I hear a little more in Triode mode over Pentode mode but that's no big deal

Sound-wise, the DT50 sounds bigger and ballsier to me. Maybe it's the cab size, maybe it's the EL34's but it's the best big rock sound I've ever had before. Just freakin humongous. The DT25 doesn't sound as big but it sounds more like what I'm used to which is medium sized boutique combos or compact 1x12 cabs with heads. I like how the DT25 sits in a band mix a little better. Clean headroom on both is fine. They can both get very loud.

Interesting note on using preamp-only models vs. full models with cab simulation, etc. On the DT50, when using a heavy gained JCM800, I liked to put the HD in studio/direct mode and it was a tremendous guttural thump. It was noticeably darker at home but at stage volume it was so full and big sounding.

The HD and DT rig is pretty freaking fantastic. I use the JTV with it from time to time but I'm not a guy who has the patches all set up with amp switching and guitar switching with a one-button push. I don't like to be the guy who throws a strat/Deluxe Reverb at the Front of House guy on one song and then a Les Paul/Marshall at the FOH for the next song. It makes his mixing job 10x harder to make everything fit if my EQ curve is changing that dramatically. For recording, it's priceless though. And if I need a quick tele part or a quick detuned song, there's no better solution.

13. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I'll second part of this. The DT-50 is plenty of amp. Its so powerful in full power mode that I don't turn it past 9' o'clock in a live setting at my church! It can get VERY loud.

14. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Thanks! Your post addessed all of my questions, and more. Thanks to whiteop and others too.

15. Giampaolo

Giampaolo Member

Thanks to all guys!

I think my first choice is DT-50

I need to replicate the sound of my Hiwatt DR-103 with 4x12 cab... with a lighter setup.
    And yes .. if you're thinking Gilmour style... that's my sound.

I made many tests with many devices... the HD500 + DT is the best.

16. Schuyler Lane

Schuyler Lane Member

I have question about the hd500, on the website it says there are 22 amp models, is there a preamp for every full amp model? i.e do you get 22 preamps as well, for running with the dt50? if not can someone list all the preamps you get.

thanks

17. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

Yep, you get all preamps too.

18. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I have the full rig with the DT25. Really sounds amazing. Right now I am especially liking the Divided by 13 model. Preamp only into the DT25 and the blue comp. Playing some Landau. So nice with the variax too. The only time I hear any noise put of the DT25 is when I use the analog pickups on the variax for some reason.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012