L6 POD HD, DAWs, and VSTs

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Lolasaurus, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

So I've been relentlessly tearing through the web and these forums for a direct answer to these questions to no avail.
    If I were to hook up a POD HD (desktop, but w/e model is fine) to a DAW, say Logic/mainstage or ableton live, so the audio driver, input, and output were all set to the POD, and other VST plugins were in place, would it run?
    I know the first comment would be "well that would also depend on how many plug ins your using," but this is more a matter of can the POD handle anything at all? - if it can't handle it, would the whole system just lock-up, or would the processing load just be shoved onto the CPU?
    I know the PODs are designed so you can record in DAWs, but there is no answer out there as to whether or not you can process them in DAWs (with VSTs) too, and that's what I've been obsessing over the past couple of days.
    -> Is the POD HD just simply not a desirable audio interface?

Thank you *so* much

2. mdme_sadie

mdme_sadie Member

Your question doesn't make any sense. The Pod HD in that situation is just the same as any other USB audio interface, it will be unaffected by your computer and will run in exactly the same way no matter what is going on with your computer.

If you're asking how will the latency affect things, then that's the same also. The more you pile on to a track, the slower your hard drive is, the less processing power you have and the smaller the buffer size you set then the greater the chance that you will experience audio dropouts and artifacts while recording or playing back. It's a basic rule of working with computer audio interfaces.

If you're asking wether you can send a signal to the POD HD to use as an outboard effect then yes, provided you have another audio interface to do that with. There is no re-amping capability built into any of the Pod HD series via it's USB connection. For that you should look at the Eleven Rack or AxeFX2. With the pod all you can do is send audio out from the computer to it's output ports, but not through it's effects processing signal chain. The only way to go through that is via the dedicated input ports on the device.

3. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

So, if the POD HD sends its own processed signal to the computer, one that can be recorded in a DAW, and under the preferences the POD HD is selected as the output device, wouldn't it go
    Guitar > POD FX > DAW (w/ VSTs) > (output to) POD headphone route > speakers/headphones/whatever
    ?
    If the headphone jack of the POD HD can be utilized as the eventual output of the computer's audio, would any VSTs go with it? I know that the POD HD can't process the signal twice, cause that would just become a feedback loop.

Another way of looking at it is say I have a modest marshall model with an overdrive effect on the POD HD being played into ableton live, but the audio output is my computer's headphone's jack - if I were to add more processing via VSTs to the POD HDs processed signal, like a delay effect belonging to the DAW, would the headphones jack carry the marshall + overdrive + delay?
    I mean, that'd be enough if it could (and is the answer I'm seeking), but the side note is if the audio output were set to the POD HD, would the POD's headphone jack carry the marshall + overdrive + delay?
    Would one method be preferable with regards to load distribution?
    And thank you for the reply.

4. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

*well

5. Dr.Fix

Dr.Fix Member

I add a question... isn't there a way to use the pod as a vst? I mean, I have a clean dry track I want the pod to process it (via USB) and send it back to the daw...

Dry Track->DAW
    DAW->Pod->DAW

6. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

I don't even have a unit so I can't be sure, but it seems that the old POD versions that relied on POD farm, that was a VST. On the L6 forums the moderators said the HD modelers are not / can not be VST.

7. Chris Martins

Chris Martins Member

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

The POD HD is weak as an only audio interface. I don't think it's even useable that way myself. For getting sounds IN to the computer it's great. For getting them OUT... not so much...

9. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

As with the 11R the POD is not your DAW interface. It's just a tool to be run into the interface as with say any other preamp. USB is for editing patches. I don't believe from what I've read a DAW recognizes the POD. Maybe someday.

I have been wrong before, I'm still looking.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

"As with the 11R the POD is not your DAW interface."

-- This is incorrect. The 11R and the POD HD can be your only audio interface; the 11R includes midi/IO as well as allowing external sources into it's line input as well. Full fledged audio/midi interface.

11. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

From my 5 minute usage of it, the Pod can function as an "interface" but it's mostly to get sounds into your DAW.

I don't know any of the stats on latency, conversion, etc.

When you use it as an interface, I believe the purpose is simply to get output of the Pod into your DAW. It is NOT a VST or anything of the sort. It's basically like taking an output (1/4 or XLR) and hooking it up to your regular interface... except it's going digital instead.

12. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

from what i can tell, the OP is asking if the sound of the POD HD, loaded into a track in a DAW, followed my other VST's as FX on the same track as the POD Hd resides in the DAW, will out put a signal from the headphone out on the POD HD that includes the POD Hd signal + the VST effects in the headphone out. correct?

so, you could run the POD HD into a DAW track, with no cab, then on that track in the DAW, load up say, an IR host like LePou, load up your redwirez cab then start playing and monitor the pod HD + redwirez in the output of the pod hd. if you had the DAW set as using the POD Hd as both the input/output instead of say, a Firepod or m-audio interface, then yes, i believe you would be able to monitor that way.
    not able to test that out at present but seems logical....right?
    HTH

edit: latency and quality of the output sound would, i believe, also be determined by your computer, the number of effects you add on the POD HD track, all the other tracks also playing, what DAW you are using, what is running in the background on the computer, etc.

13. mwe

mwe Supporting Member

The input appears to the DAW the same as any other ASIO input would. You can apply any VST effects you wish on the track. There is one little tricky bit with output though. The POD sends a mix of it's output (what is sent to the computer) and the DAW output (what's coming back from the computer) to the line outs. The balance of this mix is controlled by the Audio/MIDI app. There's a little slider called Hardware output or something similar. I haven't tried it but I believe panning the slider hard left gives you just the DAW output.

14. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

I am using the HD 500 with Reason 6 DAW so this is from my experience with that only. The HD is the audio interface, and yes you can monitor through the HD. You have to set the DAW to External monitoring to bypass the DAW monitoring to avoid double monitoring if that makes any sense.

As far as re-amping, the POD HD500 is not recognized in Reason yet. There is a Line 6 plug in within the DAW that you can use to reamp dry tracks, and it also recognizes the patches in the X3 for this purpose. Honestly, if you are a Line 6 user, I highly suggest checking out the Propellerhead stuff. It is made to work specifically with a lot of the L6 stuff and is pretty incredible.

15. lspaulsp

OK maybe I should have used third grade English. I think that's what I said.

The 11R is your stand alone interface for your DAW (i.e. Protools) 11R gets sound in and OUT.
    The POD is not. Sound in.

16. lspaulsp

See like I said you can use it.................................darn I learned something. That's sweet.

17. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

No, that is NOT what you said, and I quote:

"As with the 11R the POD is not your DAW interface"

So, you were wrong multiple times... but that is okay, I will let it slide.

18. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

thank you all so much for the replies, i felt like i was asking for the illuminati before with how hard it was to get answers.
    I think I'm gunna have to try one out to see how much it can handle, return it if it's not enough.

19. lspaulsp

I know bad on my part. I should have added the sarcasm alert.

That's why you're not a 10, you're a 100!

Hey what's the word on that 44 magnum does it go well with the AXE cause it would probably go well with my 11R then.

20. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

Didn't understand a word you just said.
    But is the bottom line that the POD HD isn't good for experimenting with CP processing?
    Cause I was planning on using just the amp modeller to get a decent tone and do all of the FX on ableton; when I didn't have a computer around, I could just use the bean by itself.
    My search continues . . .