L6 Wireless IEM

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dray3573, Apr 28, 2016.

1. dray3573

dray3573 Member

I'm just wondering if L6 ever thought about producing a wireless IEM system to compliment their already popular wireless instrument ensemble? I'd be pretty curious as to what they could come up with.

2. Rewolf

Rewolf Member

They know about the idea - it has 603 votes on IdeaScale http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/In-ear-Wireless-Monitor-System/532784-23508

But they also know that people liking the idea of something and actually coming up with the cash when it is not cheap are quite different things.

Personally I want them to get higher sales volume on wireless so that wireless VDI comes down in cost

Perhaps a new technology will enable a Wireless Audio Network that allows any number of devices to connect to each other with high quality (bit rates) and low latency and then everything can be connected without wires for less cost per connection than (reasonable quality) cables, but I am not holding my breath waiting!

3. esizer

esizer Member

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that their wireless technology is digital and they haven't quite worked out the A/D conversion in digital systems yet without latency.

4. james...

james... Member

It's a saturated market, but typically when Line 6 releases a product like this that is already well represented by other companies, it's marketed to their regular customers (ie: guitarists who wouldn't normally buy IEM's or think to buy IEM's).

5. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

If it has to be as expensive as existing options, I don't see it being a good sell. If they could do a digital IEM rig in the $250-$350 range, I'd buy it quick.

ibis likes this.
  6. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

G70/75 has a full throughput latency of 1.47ms, so that's not an issue.

The million-dollar question is whether or not we can bring something new and differentiating enough to grow the relatively small IEM market. Unfortunately, the number of people simply wanting a Line 6 IEM to exist is much higher than the number willing to actually pay for it. I recently asked the Variax forum who'd be willing to shell out $1k for wireless VDI (because that's what it'd cost to do it right) and heard crickets:

Please make wireless VDI!

Okay, here's wireless VDI. That'll be $999, please.

Oh... Oh, I wasn't going to actually BUY it. I just want it to exist in case I MIGHT want to buy it later.

7. Jason_A

Jason_A Member

I was just talking with a friend a couple days ago about Line 6 making a wireless IEM. Seems like they have all of the technology already. Given that their top end wireless guitar units are in the $500-600 range, I would hope they could make a wireless IEM system in the same price bracket. That would put them at about half the price of a comparable Sennheiser or Shure unit. I'd be all over that! I'm definitely grabbing the new G10 when it's available, as it is perfect for me... plug-and-play and rechargeable. But it only solves half of my wire problems.

ibis likes this.
  8. esizer

esizer Member

Ah, I see. Pardon my speculation.

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Sounds about right. Stereo x 3 to get the guitar's hex signal to the processor.

10. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

It's not hex. VDI is two mono audio channels (modeling signal and magnetic signal) plus a back channel going the opposite direction for remote control. Three channels of wireless plus I/O, UI, mechanical, and electrical would likely push wireless VDI to $1000 US MAP. The venn diagram point where [Owns Variax], [Owns Helix or POD], [Willing to learn VDI], [Uses wireless], and [Will pay $1000] meet is an impossibly small sliver. Again, it's more "I want this to exist because it feels nice to know it exists" than "I'll actually part with my hard-earned money for this."

Besides, some huge transmitter belt pack with a multipin-to-ethercon tail would be... blech.

11. m~Dan

m~Dan Member

I still would love to have a IEM/guitar all in one unit with only one bodypack and one receiver :)

DigitalTube and ivanh3 like this.
  12. ibis

ibis Member

I would simply like (and buy) a Line6 iem transmitter / receiver. I wouldn't mind an extra pack.
    G30 / Helix user.
    I don't need 2 way comms, or a wireless Variax port. And yeah, for $1000 I'd be buying Sennheiser, but reckon L6 could smash that asking price, just like they did with the G30 when it came out. The G30 is a workhorse that performs well over its price point. Its time for L6 to put something into the market for us Helix users that want to go truly wireless without remortgaging. Please.
    You can do it, I have every faith.

KSL likes this.
  13. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

That's sort of the Grail innit?