LA Amp Show...A Luthier's Perspective

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Sweetwood, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to check out my gear at the LA Amp Show. There were some really amazing player's coming through and putting stuff through the paces. It was really impressive seeing all the talent.

That being said, I would like to give a shout out to Jim Soloway, whom as a builder (and human), I respect a lot and is doing amazing, unique and original work (refreshing in a world of fastercaster's and relics). Every build he does is super high quality, consistent and true to his artistic vision. His new axe, whatever it's called (look it up), 15" or so body, is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and EVERYONE SHOULD CHECK IT OUT. It's probably geared toward jazzers and fingerstylists, but in my opinion, smokes everything that is out there for that genre. I don't doubt that it could cross over into every other territory as well. Light years beyond Gibby and Fender. Beautiful, articulate, warm...everything.

I know many of you might wonder why I might pump another company's gear, but simply, with guitars, you don't need to sleep with one the rest of your life... ;) Seriously, there is more than enough space for all of us and Jim deserves all the success he's having and then some.

2. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Nice post about Jim Soloway. I visited his exhibit at the amp show and was impressed with his stuff as always. He was very excited to share his new designs with a passion. He is an innovator and a craftsman. He was breaking ground with his long scale guitars when I first met him at NAMM several years ago, and he is once again breaking new ground with unique designs and concepts.

It is cool to see how another builder inspires you. This is how the craft of guitar building evolves, and this is what creates the leading edge in new unique guitar designs.

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

:eek: EEK!

Seriously Glenn ... thanks so much for the remarkably kind words. The truth is that I just think of myself as an old guitar player who has some peculiar ideas and who gets a lot of great help from some very talented people. (On the other hand, the Single 15" is definitely turning out to be the best peculiar idea that I've ever had. I've never been so excited about a guitar).

And about the show ... to any small builder who's looking for a way to promote your guitars, as far as I'm concerned there is nothing better than the amp shows. They've been incredibly successful for me to the point where they are now getting 100% of my promotion effort. I'm always happy to talk about it, so if any of the small builders are curious, feel free to shoot me an e-mail or a call me and I'd be happy to give you all the details. Don't worry about the "Amp Show" name. This is a GREAT format to show guitars and as a guitar building community it offers us a tremendous resource.

4. les

les Gold Supporting Member

+1

I played Jim's newest creations and they are killer - beautiful to look at, wonderful to play and incredible sounding!

check them out!

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

You're guitars were pretty sweet as well - no pun intended.
    PS My ears are still ringing from the show!

6. Stratclaw

Stratclaw Member

Jim's single 15" design with the wider neck for fingerstyle playing was the highlight of the show for me. Aesthetically stunning, with glorious warm, clear defined notes cascading from it. It was surprisingly easy to play, yet one needs to have a command of the neck to do it justice. We agreed it was a "big-boy's guitar".
    Jim was also warm, hospitable, and very informative. I would have bought the guitar if the timing had been better. I will definitely be ordering one.
    His other guitars were all fantastic designs.
    I didn't get a chance to play a Sweetwood! Next time!

7. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

Thanks TB! My ears are ringing too.

8. JBG

JBG Member

Jim is a class act all the way. Stunning instruments, too.

9. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

The first night I went to bed I could still hear amps (and oddly weird conversations) in my head... Sunday was much nicer.

Jim, had a blast hanging out and milking you for free advice. We have to do this again and soon (and this time I'll see Glenn for more than 2 minutes each day :rotflmao)

10. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Sounds like a good time! What a nice thread.

11. john b

john b Member

This thread is everything that I love about TGP and what makes it great. Thanks everyone!

12. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Jim's guitars were the highlight for me, they exceeded my expectations. There's a Soloway in my future. As it was I had to exercise great restraint and not purchase on the spot, he made an offer that was very difficult walk away from. Great guy too, very effusive and down to earth.

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'll be honest: I haven't yet bought a Swan because I don't yet have a practical use for one for my music. However, I've played several and they are, everyone one of them, superbly constructed, play like butter (scale length notwithstanding), aesthetically beautiful, and gorgeous sounding.

14. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Jon, if you liked the Swan you will really be wowed by Jim's latest creations!

15. Jaya

Jaya Supporting Member

I've had a pleasure of both, playing Soloway guitars and talking to Jim at NYC Amp Show this year.
    Jim is one of the most humble builders I've ever spoke with.
    His instruments are built superbly, they feel great and sound even better.
    I would love to try new Single 15" guitar one day.

Jaya