La Grange vs Pinnacle

Discussion in 'Pedals and Effects Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by C.D.F.M.E., Apr 26, 2016.

1. C.D.F.M.E.

C.D.F.M.E. Member

Hi,

here's a very simple comparison clip. Riffs played at three different gain levels on both pedals in order to a clean amp. Basically I set the Bogner La Grange knobs at noonish and tried to match the tone with the Wampler Pinnacle (my previous and very, very good Marshall-type pedal). Then adding more gain and adjusting volume to keep the level same. No tone adjustments were made between the riffs. On LG the 1st and 2nd riffs are on the medium gain mode and the 3rd one is on high.

I wasn't reaching for the "good" sound at any point, just made quick a reference recording to help me to decide if the Bogner is a keeper and to hear how much/little difference there actually was. Indeed, the recording confirmed what I heard while playing. I hope this has some value to some of you as well.

The order is always the same so you have 50/50 chance to guess which is which! :D

Cheers,
    Antti

2. mrscott99

mrscott99 Member

damn they are pretty close. I am going to guess that the Bogner is first

3. C.D.F.M.E.

C.D.F.M.E. Member

Yes, they're close! With further tweaking they could be even closer. I was quite surprised of that.

IMO the three things that separates them most are the bottom end (Pinnacle has more/bigger), the middle/high middle (La Grange has more detailed, sweeter) and usable gain range. LG has very nice low gain sounds in addition to medium and higher gain.

4. mrscott99

mrscott99 Member

Mine is on the way

5. C.D.F.M.E.

C.D.F.M.E. Member

Okey, enough suspense enough already ;) ...
    Pinnacle is first, La Grange second, in the clips.

IMO Bogner has made another great pedal (I've had the Blue and Red also, for my uses this is their best of this series) but if you have a Pinnacle (or similar plexi-type pedal) and don't care so much for the lower gain sounds or adjustable/separate boost, it's wise to consider if you really need La Grange.

I chose to keep it and sell the Pinnacle but YMMV etc... I liked very much for the huge usable gain range, dynamics and the elusive and often misunderstood "Marshall midrange".

-Antti

6. presence

presence Member

Thanks for this thread and demos.