Lab Series question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Smakutus, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I have this Lab Series L3 combo up on Ebay and have found that the "low" input is louder than the "Hi" input. The amp sounds good through both inputs but it's the type amp you need a TS-9 or something more to get a good distorted tone anyways. What can cause this (Should the "Hi" be even louder than the "low" here or could it have been wired wrong from the get go?) and is there something I can do? It doesn't make any strange noises so I don't think cleaning the input jack would make a difference here.

The amp looks all original to me. I don't think the back panels were ever taken off until I took them off to clean it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Ray

Ray Member

I think the high low refers to the output of the pickups on the guitar, high being humbuckers, and low being single coil pickups. I used to have a L5 and that is the way I always used it. Wish I still had that amp.
    Hope that helped.
    Ray

3. uberpict

uberpict Member

Thats right, High Z and Low Z, Z being input impedance, IIRC. I've got my Rivera pre-amp driving my L5 through a delay pedal in the effects loop and use the High Z inputs to keep it from buzzing. Straight into the L5 the Low Z can be used depending on the pups, volume and how hard you play. Personally, I never really liked the L5 by itself (either too clean or too buzzy) but it works great in a stereo set-up. Good luck with the auction!

4. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Someone else said this in a e-mail, but I'm thinking it should be like a Vox AC-30. On those the Hi input is louder than the lo..

Anyone out there got a L3 manual handy that they could check on this for me?

Thanks guys,
    Jeff

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Ray is correct, the inputs are 'backwards' from how we normally know them.

It's impossible that it's wired wrong or swapped, since the jacks are directly PCB-mounted.

6. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Cool.. Thanks John.

Jeff