1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

lace sensor pickups question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by skydawg, May 19, 2011.

1. skydawg

skydawg Member

I've got a question for those familiar with these pickups. I've got a strat ultra which has a blue in the neck, gold in the middle, and red humbucker in the bridge. I find the blue one in the neck position sounds pretty bland and I'd like to replace it, are all the LS pickups interchangeable? Can I just swap the positions and have the gold in the neck and the blue in the middle? I ask because I was looking online at the lace sensors for sale and they don't indicate which positions they are so are they all interchangeable? Also how does the silver one sound, any info or advice on these pickups would be appreciated. thanks

2. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

i'm no expert...but

yes they are 100% interchangeable to your taste, they arent wound to any certain spec...with that said most people like the blue in the neck because it is sort of bland and neutral and it lets your fat throaty neck pickup to do the work, people like the gold in the middle for positions 2 and 4 so they can add some chime and sparkle to their neck and bridge, and they like the red humbucker in the bridge because it is super fat and when you throw distortion or overdrive at it, its a singing lead tone

with that said, the gold in the neck will give you a VERY chimey present tone with lots of sparkle, if you leave the blue in your middle, expect your mid positions to be subdued, they'll be very "funky" and very smooth jazzy

the silver as far as i know is a bit less than the gold, it's chimey and sparkley, but not quite so much, lots of people like the silver in the neck, the gold in the mid and one of their hotter singlecoils for bridge stuff, like the burgundy or a single red

can i ask how you found the red dually humbucker, can you post some clips, what did it sound like? I'm considering getting one but haven't heard one in person...

Are these lace sensors or fender lace sensors?

3. skydawg

skydawg Member

Thanks, I guess they are the fender lace sensors, came stock on the 93 fender strat ultra. the Red are ok, I can live with it but the neck blue I don't think I can. I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible so I want to keep the sensor thing going. I was reading a few reviews and I guess the LS emerald is supposed to make a great neck pickup. I may want to go with that one. Anyone familiar the emerald lace sensor and wishes to comment on it?

4. RSK

RSK Member

Can't help with the emerald, but I have a 91 strat utra and also thought the blue was colorless. Replaced it with a silver which was a great improvement. Still like the dually reds, alot of different usable sounds there. Did replace the stock wilkinson nut with a rollerball nut which coupled with new sperzel tuners finally kept this guitar in tune and the guitar now really sings.

5. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

and emerald or silver would be your best bet, i'd say the emerald sounds "hotter" while the silver will sound more bell-like from what i've heard

another option would be the lace holy grails, from what i hear, they have that slightly compressed, zero-hum feel of a lace sensor, but they look like stock strat pickups. rumor on the block is they are some of the best single coils ever made?

p.s. how would you describe the red dually, can you post a clip?

6. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Other way around. The Silver is a bit more output than the Gold, the Emerald a bit less than the Gold. I have tried pile of the Laces (though Smark is REALLY the man for Lace- maybe he'll chime in). The Blue you have has more humbucker-like output: it won't chime like a single coil at all.
    The Hot Gold (not really hot) is something quite special, very full, warm, complex & chimey all at the same time. If you want a change & want to stay with Lace a Hot Gold is really fine in the neck (or neck & mid both). An Emerald in the mid would be fine too, it is a bright Lace. Or keep your Gold in the middle. I personally found the Emerald a little thin for the neck, but that is just my taste. The Laces are all good at what they do but the Hot Gold is exceptional.
    Lace specs:
    http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/lace_sensor/lace_sensor_specs.php

7. cob666

cob666 Member

Lace has a newer pickup called Alumitone, they aren't as high output as the Lace Sensor pups but sound like they have a wider response to the standard Sensor pups to me. I'm in the process of upgrading all the pups in my parts guitars to Alumitones.

8. mannish

mannish Member

I have an old red one in bridge of my strat for slide - that is one nasty pickup - I would not anything hotter.

9. elitecrusher

elitecrusher Member

I purchased a Strat Ultra years ago when i lived in PA. then i moved back to Md. a year later. The guitar had the Lace sensors in it, Red "humbucker", Gold and blue. And let me tell ya, this guitar was freakin amazing! These pickups had incredible tones, and the humbucker was among the best Ive ever used. Unfortunately i pawned the guitar very very cheap at a pawn shop expecting to get it back in a few days but lost. I was devastated!! I can identify the guitar by the 1 inch gash in the body right inside the hook because my drummer cymbal fell over and caused it. If anyone has gotten this guitar please contact me! But i highly recommend these pickups and put them up against ANY pickup of todays popular! I even heard that u can take 2 single reds and place them side by side and make a humbucker, even though these red singles are stacked humbuckers! Any one ever hear that. So i guess i should go with the gold in the neck on this new guitar that im building then??