Lace sensors...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kool98769, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kool98769

kool98769 Member

What does TGP think of lace sensors? Specifically, golds, silvers, and blues. I'm interested in perhaps getting a set for my squier strat to make it atleast usable, in comparison with my rg 550. Or would it just be better to go for a good ole set of dimarzios? I'm not really interested in going handwound, as i dont want my pickups to be double the value of the guitar itself.

But honestly, what do you guys think of lace sensors? I'm putting some trust in you guys, as no local shops have any guitars with laces in them, so i wont have a chance.

2. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

I like'em. Particularly the blue and silver. Blue, silver, red set is a really great matchup. (per strat plus deluxe) Great quack sounds, fat neck and bridge tones. Pretty near silent, so great for recording. Friend of mine has a plus with all golds, also a great setup. More of a vintage/traditional vibe. Very low string pull in all cases, so better sustain.

My ears as of late have moved away from the Lace sound, (slightly attenuated hi end) but I still think they're great. I think Laces may be a bit more "predictable" in their response and sound. No untoward surprises. And the feel is a little different than my suhr LPs. (slower, maybe? less immediate?) They might be worth a shot. (provided your squire is made of wood and not ply)

Patrick

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

One of my my favorite funk/Latin players, Ray Obeido,
    uses the gold ones and gets some of the best quack, pristine clean sounds I've ever heard ....
    They come quite close to EMG-S's only they don't quite have the same bloom with overdriven ...

4. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

They're ok, but on the dark side. If you're into finger picking on electric, I've found them to be dynamically forgiving. I wouldn't want to use them now, but when I did they were ok.

5. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Always hated em ...
    It may sound a lil radical but i d rather go for EMG than lace sensors.
    I like real vintage pups, or something totally different such as EMG, Joe Barden but I never got used to anything in between such as Lace and noiseless in general .

6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I had a Strat Plus Deluxe with Red, Blue & Silver & didn't care for them. Seemed sterile & lifeless. I really hated the Red in the bridge position.

7. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Trade for Hobowoman still pending :D

8. mainsale

mainsale Member

My Buddy Guy Signature Strat is loaded with them and a mid-boost circuit. It works very well indeed!

[​IMG]

9. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have played Strat for 40 years & have used LOTS of pickups. Lace Sensor Hot Golds are right up there on my all time favs list. They are warm, full, quacky, chimey & just plain musical! (Pretty quiet too).

10. DonM

DonM Member

+1
    sold it

and years later I went to work for 5 years for Lace --2000 to 2005

but the Sensor design is still what it is then and now -

1980's solution to 60 cycle hum -

lots of Love and lots of hate out there on those..

11. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Have had them in my Strat Ultra since the day I bought them in about 95....Red, Gold, Blue (HSS:bridge, middle, neck). I love em...The red's seem as hot as my les paul, and hotter them my other strats lindy fralin vintage hots. They sound better than my friends Noiseless pick ups in his EC Sig strat.

12. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

I love the silver in the mid position of my strat deluxe. It is very clear and balanced to me. I do not like the blue in the neck position -- too boomy. To me, the red in the bridge is very average. The only thing that makes mine usable is having a tone control that also has tbx.

13. kool98769

kool98769 Member

Ah, thats what i have been finding, some people absolutely despise them, and others don't mind them at all. I guess noiseless is a big attraction to them for me, but i just kinda want something a bit different. Yes, it's a 2 piece alder body :AOK
    As for EMG singles, what about those? I don't really have any experience with them, but are they high output like the EMG humbuckers? I mean, dave gilmour and the dude from toto use them, but are they a bit of a better sounding pickup?

14. rongtr

rongtr Member

I had a strat w/EMG pickups, and I now have a '92 EC strat with gold sensors and a preamp. I much prefer the gold Lace Sensors. I don't find them sterile at all, and I can get a really wide range of tones.:AOK

15. Terje79

Terje79 Member

I just went to go see my buddy's band last night and he was playing a james burton telecaster with all the lace sensors. Sounded really good actually. Ive only had experience with them when I had a Red lace sensor humbucker in the first guitar I ever had but if I remember it sounded pretty good... going through my crate amp... haha

16. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I have a "Hot Gold" in the neck position of a H/S home made guitar. It nails the Blackmore tone I love so much. I really do think Lace pickups have a unique place in the electronics armamentarium

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had Gold's in the neck & mid & a blue in the bridge in a '88 Am Std. I also added a roller nut and locking Sperzels. I modded the guitar to the point it was too much of a rock 'n roll machine for me but it sounded good.

I think they're decent pups but there seems to be many more great choices today.

18. DonM

DonM Member

Cool - Those Hot Golds - were my designing skills and I also named them that. It was my answer to what customers were asking us for..

Basically all the Hot Gold eneded up being was Golds with the stronger magnets from the Red Sensors - it did add more mids and brought down the highs a little -- :phones

19. mbratch

mbratch Member

I know there's a lot of love and hate going on about the Lace Sensors. I think the issue is mostly people trying to compare them with vintage single coils. They are their own thing. Not better, not worse, just different.

I used the Blue/Silver/Red stock in a Fender Deluxe Plus for many years and coaxed a lot of musical tones out of them.

My desire for some classic strat tones moved me to try the Suhr V60LPs, which I love. But sometimes I miss the slightly fatter tones of the LS's. They were almost P90-ish. I still have the populated pick guard. I may pop them back in some time.

20. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member

Got a late 90s Clapton strat with gold Lace sensors. They just don't seem to like wah pedals as much as my other strat with "normal" pickups. Otherwise okay but a little sterile for my taste. Replacing them is a bit of a pain in the Clapton as you do need noiseless if you want to use the mid boost otherwise it gets a little noisy.

Rob