Lace snesors noisless?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone know if Lace Sensor pickups, particularly the golds, are noisless? I have read some conflicting reports out there. Some say they are "dead quiet" and others say they are about 85 percent noise free. Anyone use em and know first hand?

PS sorry for the poor spelling in the title

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I love lace sensors. All the ones I've used are dead quiet.

3. Blue4Now

Awsome, just what I wanted to hear.

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

The ones I had were dead silent. Unfortunately they were dead toneless too. :( Mine were very early ones, I am sure they have improved since then.

5. Blue4Now

I plan on swapping out the vintage noisless in my Clapton strat for the Lace Golds that came in the original version. I know many here (and elswhere) prefer the vintage noisless in this guitar but what's life without a little variety. Seriously though, I really like what I have heard from sound samples of the lace golds. The VN's are OK but for $119.00 (found on sale) I thought I would give the Lace's a try.

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had an Am. Std. that I put Gold's in the neck and middle with a Blue in the bridge. I wouldn't buy them again but I do that with gear. Once I've owned it and sold it off, I want something else. I had no complaints with the guitar when I had it, though.

7. ZeeBee

ZeeBee Member

I have the LS-gold in my strat as aftermarket pickups ... dead silent and a nice strat tone to boot (quack-quack included)

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

Lace golds are simply capable of producing some of the best Quack I've ever heard ...

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Not dead silent, at least in conditions that cause sc noise, but WAY better that normal sc's.
    Also, do not sound like the Strattiest of Strat pups, but do sound good in their own way and do retain much Stratty character.
    You expected consensus??;)

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you'd be better off getting a pair of dimarzio area 58's and an area 61 for the bridge. they will be both quieter and more true-strat sounding than the laces.

11. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I had early Laces in a couple of guitars. They were not dead quiet. Considerably quieter than stock singles, but not as quiet as The Dimarzio VV's or the Lawrence 280's. Generally I liked them. The only issue I had was with the blue sensor that was in the bridge position of one guitar. The output of the 1st string was noticeably weaker than the rest of the strings. I no longer use them. I do have an EC model that came with gold sensors. I replaced them with the Lawrence 280's. The 280's sound better to me and are quieter.

12. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Lace Sensors are true single coil rather than stacked coils, with a "noise reduced" technology. They do not claim to be noiseless, though my Hot Golds are a WHOLE LOT quieter than "normal" singles. I can play them anywhere, even with neon, flourescents or dimmers. I have come to prefer them (didn't take long) over any of the way-too-many true singles (most of the Fenders, Van Zandts, Fralins, Duncans, etc, etc.) I have tried. They have the Strat family vibe, but a lot more - more bottom, bigger sound, richer, woodier, fuller & sweeter. They are not pure classic Strat - but they turn out to be more expressive for me - not saying what they would do for you but they have ended my search for a while now. I don't sound just like SRV or EC or DG or Knopfler or Jimi with them; I sound like "me". The Hot Golds are their own animal.

13. Blue4Now

Great input, thanks. I just ordered a new Callaham 57 guard and the alluminum shield plate to go underneath, just to keep any noise down. I think my Clapton will be just what I was looking for now.