Lack of mids in 1962 bluesbreaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by what?, Jul 5, 2006.

1. what?

what? Member

Anybody else feel that the 1962 bluesbreaker lacks mids?or is it my guitar?I've been thinking to change the electronics (i.e. pots, caps) on the guitar. It's a fender 60's strat reissue mexi with GFS pups, soon to be replaced with fralin steel pole.

2. Roe

Roe Member

bb has lots of mids. sounds like something is not working like it should do

3. what?

what? Member

hmmm anybody wants to chime in on your settings?I've maxed the mid and turn down the treble...also loop the inputs

4. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

The JTM45 is full of fat mids.. something's going on with your amp. Even with everything at noon you should have tons of mids.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Don't run the bass above 1 or 2 tops that will muddy up the mids which there is plenty of but may be getting drowned out by the woofy bass. I also run mine with a Richter attenuator on 10 most all the time. Also what speakers are you using I use Blues which makes a huge difference.

6. myles111

myles111 Member

I'd have the amp looked at ....

Not typical at all.

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

That doesn't sound right at all. Maybe check to see if your speakers are wired out of phase?

Does the speaker cab (or internal speakers) you're using sound "right" with any other amps plugged into them?

8. what?

what? Member

I run the bass on zero actually, too much woof, I dont really like it.

I tried to run the ohmage on 16 but didn't like the sound I was getting very loose.

Do you guys use it with humbuckers or singles?I found that this amp just hates guitars with high output pups.

9. myles111

myles111 Member

Don't mismatch the impedance to the speaker load. You are asking for trouble and running an 8 ohm load on the 16 ohm tap ... well .... not a good thing to do at all for your output transformer.

The amp loves high output pickups .... Ever listen to the Les Paul in the Mayall/Clapton Bluesbreakers record?

You have a sick amp. I'd get it to a good tech very fast before you try more stunts such as mismatching impedances.

10. what?

what? Member

actually I tried the 16 ohm on recommendation from people in this forum. Now that you told me so I won't do it anymore.

By high output I meant more like modern sounding guitars. I've got a godin ST-IV with a godin tetra blade humbucker in the bridge and plugged into the BB it sounds terrible. But my strat with lil'59 in the bridge sounds wonderfull.

I've got a set of JJ tubes for my BB, anybody have/had JJ tubes in their BB?

11. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

I'm running all JJ's in mine and have nothing but wonderful tones comming out.

I too run the bass at about zero or close to it.

I've got g12h30's in mine and run it thru a DR Z Airbrake.

Good luck.

12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

What's in that amp for speakers, what? (Man that looks funny in print!)

13. what?

what? Member

Hahahaha I cant remember why I use this username. they're factory std. greenbacks, I haven't done anything to the amp. Should I swap the speakers?I heard that greenbacks doesn't perform well in open backs.

I also use Dr Z airbrake, does it matter if I leave it at zero when not in use?or does it still affect you r tone?I'm just too lazy to bent over and plug/unplug the Dr Z.:horse

14. myles111

myles111 Member

Airbrake on 0 is effectively off / straight through. Fine to just leave it connected all the time.

15. what?

what? Member

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

what? the G12M's you have in there could be considered mid-heavy (if healthy), but I think I'm gonna say that the amp is sick and needs some help. While the M magnet type speakers aren't the best choice for an open back combo (unless the opening in the back panel is less than 2 inches high like the 65 Amps combo), they should still have more mids than most speakers, so I think your BB needs to go see the amp doctor. Sorry...

17. what?

what? Member

:( I'll get it checked out soon. Have been itching to replace the tubes anyway, have got the JJ's for months but haven't got the oomph to go to a tech. I dont know how to work with amps :(