1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Lady Gaga on SNL last night.............

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by major-minor, May 22, 2011.

1. major-minor

major-minor Supporting Member

I've tried , alittle. (don't own any of her CDs)

I'm just not getting that whole thing. Am I missing something?

2. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

No, nothing to see here, move along. :horse

3. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Are you looking for an explanation for why you should like her music? Do you want people to go: "I don't get it either!!" or "There's nothing to get!"?

Some music you like, some music you don't like.

4. mlt1214

mlt1214 Member

I have mixed feelings about Gaga. As far as fun catchy dance music goes, she's one of the best. Kind of like my generation's Madonna. It's hard to argue that she doesn't have a killer voice.

I just wish she'd knock it off with the over-the-top everything else. The Gaga persona/image is so ridiculous and just plain weird that I honestly think it detracts from her music. It's a distraction. But maybe that's what she wants the emphasis on- the performance. To each their own.

:dunno

5. beerijuana

beerijuana Member

It's the appeal of the painfully mediocre, ...style over substance or, "Ooooh shiny!"

6. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

No, it's good music with strange imagery.

Kinda like what we've seen in rock music since the very beginning.

7. major-minor

Yes, you're exactly right. I don't really know what I'm looking for. (Ha)
    I don't mean this to be a "slam Gaga" thread. I'm just watching her reach a point where she's extremely popular--------and I suppose I'm trying to pinpoint what it is that is making her so huge.

I'm admittedly not into the whole Las Vegas dance routine thing so--------there's that. Yes, she's a good singer.

Whatever. I probably should have thought twice about starting this thread. Some like it, some don't. Makes the world go round, right.

Carry on.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

At her best, she reminds me a little of Elton John (I said "a little") - she can sing/play/write/perform. I enjoy some of her material. That said, her latest material seems a bit disco-retread... The image is oft a distraction.

9. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

You're either on the bus or not. I'm in the front seat.

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Does she play an instrument or write her own songs? :dunno

11. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I like Lady Gaga. She's an original. I've played her tune "just dance" in a couple of bands. Goes over great. And it's kinda fun to play. Crank the distortion and put some metal on it....it actually works.

12. kimos55

kimos55 Follow your dreams turst your heart Silver Supporting Member

She is good, she puts on a good show and she's different then most acts out there now.
    remember the Tubes? I used to love seeing the tubes because you never knew what they were going to do. I'm not into her music but I still like to see a gaga video now and then

13. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

Ah, she tried that and nobody paid any attention.
    Ya gotta feed the masses what they what. Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily include talent.
    I, for one, liked her before she became Madonna 2.0.
    But she is very talented.

14. major-minor

Well, just for perspective gang:

I'm 53. Still gigging.
    Really dug the first three Chicago records.
    Still miss Dan Fogelberg.
    And think Donald Fagan is probably a genious.

There. That's where I'm coming from.

15. zorak

zorak Member

The other day one of the "music" channels on cable presented Gaga-Thon. All Lady Gaga, all day. The funny thing is that it visually looked like Gag-A-Thon to me. Must be a subliminal message in my mind.

As a Gen X'er, I would have to say her schtick is not original at all. She is the culmination of many influences, beyond Madonna, and offers nothing other than a certain shock factor that isn't really shocking. Working with visual artists to design her look and stage sets isn't new. She is a bad, bad version of Dale Bozzio of Missing Persons.

It's not that we, who don't appreciate her, don't get it. It's that her paying audience doesn't get it! Maybe they need to dig in the past to see the future......

16. jhumber

jhumber Member

For what it's worth, she's got bottle to do what she did last weekend. She played a UK festival - BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend, the largest free music festival in Europe. It was being hyped for weeks, if not months, beforehand by the BBC. She played a 60-70 minute set, and left out several of her biggest chart hits. She also smashed 3 of them (including Poker Face - her biggest hit?) into a verse-chorus-only medley. She then proceeded to play a few jazz numbers including a 5 minute trombone solo (played by one of her band) while she got changed.

If I was a GaGa fan (which I'm not, particularly), I'd probably have been pissed, but as a fan of music in general I found the entire set pretty captivating. She can play, sing, dance, and generate hype better than anyone else out there at the moment. It's kinda fascinating to watch how she pans out over the next few years....

17. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I'm certainly not going to buy or download her stuff. It's just not what I'm in to. But, the whole "Gaga" thing doesn't turn me off.
    Of course in the day I listened to Alice Cooper and David Bowie so her stuff isn't that out there to me.

She does actually have a voice and plays pretty well and writes I'm to understand so I can approve and still keep my TGP card.

18. chronowarp

chronowarp Member

foot meet mouth.

19. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I think she's great. All music is based off or a reaction to what came before it. There is nothing new. She's got a lot of talent. She can belt with the best of them, write, choreograph and is charismatic. She's got the entire package. The controversy she generates in her vids and appearances grabs attention. She is not politically correct. Her message in some of her songs is very pro-human rights and pro-diversity. No publicity is bad publicity. I'm 58 and I approve this message.

20. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

This thread again?