Lady Gaga on SNL last night.............

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by major-minor, May 22, 2011.

1. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

There's no such thing.

2. medrawt

medrawt Member

So what's the time limit on how long people are going to be listening to Madonna's music again ... ?

3. King Crimson

King Crimson Member

Hahahaha...funny.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

The Gear Page: constructing a new reality on a moment's notice.

5. Dasein

Dasein Member

Your empirical analysis of her playing and technique is totally without merit and completely incorrect. Your conclusion that she's light entertainment or not to your taste I don't question - to each his own - except your premises were false ergo your conclusions also lack merit (if they were based on these faulty premises). How about you come up with a better set of premises to support your argument, or just say subjectively (as opposed to objectively) that she's not your thing...

6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

We are closing in on the 30 year mark...

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I think we're at the 12 minute mark on Gaga's 15 minutes.

8. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

Total B.S.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I expected you to chime in on that one!! So predictable!!

Still, i'm entitled to that opinion.

10. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

Troll.

11. Frater B

Frater B Silver Supporting Member

3 years and counting........

12. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

hey, its this thread again!

how about some actual substantive musical content?

now that Born This Way has been out for a while I've come to an overall feeling about the album, which is that as an actual album, its a mess. but among that mess are several of her best songs ever--many of them better than anything thats come before, and much deeper musically and not so formulaic.

Born This Way songs that are as good or better than anything she's done before:

Hair
    Bad Kids
    Electric Chapel
    Sheibe
    Heavy Metal Lover
    Marry The Night
    Black Jesus/Amen Fashion
    Bloody Mary

Seriously. Those songs are f**king HOT. A lot of the other stuff is good too, and a couple are just forgettable. But that is a fair amount of GREAT NEW SONGS! Now, I actually come from a background of electronic music as well as guitar, and dig the hell out of some of her most hardcore stuff like Scheibe. Its nasty as hell and I'd love to hear it in a club. I know this isn't standard TGP talk, but instead of talking about the hype or whatever if anybody wants to talk about the actual music I'm game.

Anybody?

13. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

I would add "The Queen" to your list.

And there are Youtubes of her doing some of these songs "solo" on the piano.

The haters gon' hate, but their "cause" is getting more and more futile. Gaga's got it goin' on, and she's going to be around a long time.

14. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

It has been a long fifteen minutes already.

15. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

yeah The Queen is definitely on the short list of runners up. Born This Way is a classic, too, although I think its a little bit over produced--same with You And I, great song live w/ the band or solo, but i'm not crazy about some of the sounds they went with (Brian May is all good though :cool:)

Edge Of Glory I like a lot too, and think its a successful studio track & single. RIP Clarence.

I think the album is a huge achievement for her though, like i said its messy but its huge and when it hits it hits big. it'll only get tighter and better from here. She thinks big but she also grew up listening to real albums--zeppelin, queen etc... i really hope to see her put out a start to finish cohesive ALBUM... the flow of BTW has some bright spots, I think the opener and closer are good choices and there is a segment in the middle that is tight but it gets disjointed in a few spots.

anyway, i'm glad to see the big showstoppers that are a little more pop/rock come off well, but the deeper she goes with songs like Sheibe (which is just such a beast) and Heavy Metal Lover (takes a few listens to really let the brilliance sink in) the better. Light entertainment my ass. LOL so hard at that. :rotflmao

16. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

PSA for NewarkWilder: you may already know, but the song is called "Scheiße", which is pronounced "Scheisse".

In German writing, double-s has its own letter - ß - which kind of looks like a capital B.

On my Mac keyboard, option-s comes out ß.

17. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

yeah i knew that but didn't know how to make the character. i'm on a pc, that'd be what, ascii? i haven't used that in like 10 years. guess i coulda gone and copy/pasted, but ehh, whatever :p

and while i'm well aware of the proper pronunciation and definition... i don't speak german, but i can if you like ;)

18. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

I have no idea how to write ß on a PC.

Since you already knew about the double-s, at least I upped my post count by 2.

:beer

19. epluribus

epluribus Member

As batting averages among landmark acts go...like Zep...I'd say that list doesn't look too bad. Some of the biggest names going wrote entire unintelligible albums yet are remembered for the cuts that hit the long ball. However, if it's supposed to be a theme album, I would be a bit concerned if the composition as a whole didn't hang together...but I don't get the impression she's really gone after the album-as-score thing yet.

Funny thing tho...the songs that stick over time so far are the less-produced versions IMHO...the big productions may be cool on the big stage, but for listening I like the small arrangements that let her step out a bit more vividly.

--Ray

20. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Ooo, somebody Necro-bumped a Gaga thread.

I wouldn't call it a mess. It's much more cohesive then The Fame was. For me with the Extended version I love the front of it all the way to Black Jesus, with a slight dip at Hair where I'm not so fond of the lyrics but like the production; then we hit Bad Kids which is my least favorite on the album both lyrically and musically, and Fashion of his love which is a bit too Whitney Houston for my taste but listenable. Picks up again with Highway Unicorn, and then Heavy Metal Lover on through is a home run ending. So I basically love like 10 songs, Like 5, can tolerate 1 and don't much like 1. Thats a pretty damn good ratio by my standards.

Best song for me : Bloody Mary, my new #1 all time favorite Gaga tune.

The album is a heavy dose of 80's influence, but still very Gaga. Her stamp is all over it and no other pop star would have put this out there. Who else would have relegated her previous hit making producer to a smaller role and put most of the album in the hands of relative unknowns? She's got brass balls to not just sit and try and recreate her past successes ( Judas aside). And not a single rent-a-rapper or "featuring" collaboration to be found, thank god. Time will tell how much of Born This Way is viable on mainstream radio.

Definitely couldn't see Katy, Rihanna, or Britney singing, much less writing, something as brilliantly over the top manic as Americano. :D

http://www.vevo.com/watch/lady-gaga/americano/USUV71100844

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011