Lag-free hardware specs for Amplitube

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RaistMagus, Jan 25, 2012.

1. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

I'm going to get me an audio interface and I'd like to know what are the minimum hardware requirements so I can use Amplitube without any lag.

Is the lag affected by the PC's specs, by the interface or both?

2. scredly

scredly Member

It's not the hardware that causes latency, it's the computer, software and the quality of the ASIO driver. It's all in how low you can set the buffer. There is a ridiculous amount of information on the web about minimizing audio latency.

Like this one: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/pcmusician.htm

3. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

Thanks for the link, I read that article and then some more. Lots of good information!

What I would like to know (to avoid the trial-and-error process) is if it is possible to have live sound with a laptop, an audio interface and amplitube-like software or if I need other modelling hardware for this.

4. scredly

scredly Member

It is possible to use that as a live rig. Just add a direct box to get into the PA or a powered speaker to be mic'd.

Many variables in using a computer live. If it locks up, you're done until it reboots and you get everything running again.

Maybe a modeling amp like a Peavey Vypyr or Fender Mustang would work for you?