Lakland basses

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by krall, Jan 5, 2008.

1. krall

krall Supporting Member

I'm interested in getting a 4 string Lakland bass..But not sure which one, other than the fact it would have to be a "Skyline" series, since I can't afford the USA versions..

These are the ones that interest me:

Joe Osborn (Jazz bass)
    Darryl Jones (Jazz bass)
    Duck Dunn (P bass)
    Bob Glaub (P bass)

Which one do you think would be best for harder music styles (rock/hard rock/punk/metal)

2. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Personally, I want a Duck Dunn model. It's basically P bass tone with a thin J bass neck.

3. Thor

Thor Member

I have an american JO and I love it (excpet for the weight - be careful, there are many heavy Laklands out there - mine sounds great, but man, I don't think I could do more than one set with it). I have also heard great things about the Darryl Jones (more aggressive - may be what you are looking for). I like P's and hope to pick up a DD or BG some day, but if limited to just one, for my playing/tastes/needs, I would go with J-style.

That being said, their regular models are also great - very versatile and very nice to play. You might not want to rule one of those out.

FWIIW, there are always a few great Laklands for sale in the TalkBass emporium.

Happy Hunting,

Edward

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I'm surprised about the weight, Thor. While my Skyline 5 is on the medium-heavy side, I had a USA fretless 55-94 that was a feather.

Krall- don't forget to check out the opther Skyline models, too.

These are pretty darned flexible:

[​IMG]

5. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Member

I'm an old school guy, and I love my Laklands - but for the aggressive stuff, I think you're better off with a 44-01. I saw a guy using one for metal and it worked very well.

6. dave s

dave s Member

For straight up R&R, most would choose the Bob Glaub model.

Lakland makes a GREAT bass. I have a 44-01 and for next-to-nothing ($$) it is a tremendous sounding bass both in active and passive mode.

dave

7. Thor

Thor Member

Absolultely. My USA 55-94 is also light as a feather - love that thing! Sadly my USA JO is a boat anchor. Great tone, but I actually feel it after just about 1 hour. After reading up more about Lakland over at TalkBass, I realized that this is a not-so-uncommon phenomenon (more common in the skyline series, but still present in some of the USA) - but I think that is only for their "reproduction models". I have had one other USA 4-94 that was also light (though not as light as my 55), and have picked up and played many other 4-94's and 55-94's - none were what I would consider heavy.

Cheers,

Edward

8. krall

krall Supporting Member

What's considered a "good" weight for this model? My current bass is around 10-11 pounds, and I feel it's pretty heavy and you start to feel it after about an hour of straight playing..But I can still take it though..I'm only 35 years old.

9. krall

krall Supporting Member

Another question..Has any one of you ever played a Dark Star equipped Lakland? Comments on the tones of those pickups??

10. tstrapac

tstrapac Member

I agree. I played in a Punk/Rock and Roll band. My Skyline Glaub was a keeper after owning other Lakands, Rics, G&L's, and Fenders.

I don't even play bass anymore and I still own my Glaub and my Osborn.

I probably should sell those....

11. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I think the straight up Laklands might suit those styles better than the sig models, which all have a real vintage-y vibe.
    Max versatility in the Jazz Neck/HB Bridge pickup combo.
    My old USA 4-94 deluxe isn't light like say a MusicMan Sterling, but it balances real well.

12. krall

krall Supporting Member

I don't like the look of their regular models..I would prefer to have a classic/vintage looking bass, which is why I mentioned the 4 in my first post..After doing a bit more research earlier today, I think the Darryl Jones model might be the one I should go for..Would be great if I could find a used older model with the Aero PU's instead of the new Lakland PU's they now come with..Apparently the Aero's have more punch from what i've read.

13. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I would agree with you. GFI

14. mainsale

mainsale Member

This is one of my favorite "P" type basses. It's a limited edition with a thin Jazz neck and Dark Star pickup. It's special, especially with regard to it's tone. It sounds HUGE!

[​IMG]

15. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

My wife has a skyline Glaub, we play in a hard/indie rock band. It's one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard.

16. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Mainsale, that's one of the Dudepit LE ones, right? I'd love to have one like that with the DS pickup, but a gold ano guard. Very nice. :AOK

17. Bassomatic

I've wanted to check one out since I first came across 'em. Nice.

18. mainsale

mainsale Member

Yes, it's a DPLE II and there is/was one for sale over at Talkbass.com.

19. Bassomatic

Tempting, but $1425 seems like a LOT of dough for a used Skyline, Darkstar LE or no.

Do you know what they were going for new with the original order?

20. TehRoflCopter

TehRoflCopter Member

The DJ is a great bass. Besides killin' playability and tone, it has an awesome look with the blocks and binding. IME, the Aero's are more aggressive but thinner sounding. They really capture that 70s vibe. The new Lakland pups, which I prefer, are more full and even sounding. It really depends on preference.

FWIW, I am extremely happy with my 55-01. Great tone and action and I picked it up for 500 bucks very, very lightly used. Sounds better than a lot of basses 3 times the price that I've played. A DJ5 in white with an aftermarket white pearloid pickguard is likely my next bass. :drool