Lakland Skyline 55-02 versus USA 55-94

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by BigKD, Aug 16, 2017.

1. BigKD

BigKD Member

Aight guys, the deed is done. It only took me 10 years to make my selection lmfao.

soulohio, Dave Shoop and Hugo13 like this.
  2. Hugo13

Hugo13 Member

If I just kept that **** and didn't go through 1000 other basses!

3. Hugo13

Hugo13 Member

So sick

4. BigKD

BigKD Member

Bass showed up today. This thing sounds HUGE even with the puny strings that come stock.

5. trpullen

trpullen Member

I know some folks who own the US ones. I am sure they are second to none. My Skyline 55-02 is amazing. I can't imagine needing anything more. Any additional would be lost to my skillset.

6. Thor

Thor Member

Congrats on the new bass - looks fantastic! Enjoy it in the best of health!
    I have a 55-94 (old one, made before they had introduced their Skyline series). The Skylines I have played have all be great, and it sounds like yours is no exception!

Bassomatic likes this.
  7. Tom Likely

Tom Likely Member

Please remember - this is all hearsay and my opinion...

I can say having owned a 4402, 5501, 5502 and a USA that they are all officially awesome and you won't be disappointed any way you go with a Lakland. Quality all around.

I read this somewhere else as well...a 5502 is 80 percent of a USA. I would say more like 70-75, but considering the raise to the bar the USA makes compared to other basses...pretty sweet.

The USA is much lighter in weight but still has that solid feel. You can just tell more time was taken to make the USA. Looks, feel, sound - it's all there in spades.

But I have a confession to make...one of my 5501s is my go-to bass for practicing, especially unplugged. Not sure why yet but I just connect with it, maybe it is in part due to it being my 1st Lakland.

The 5502s are the middle ground. That's probably all I will ever buy again in the series, they are the most complete bass in that price range to my ears.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  8. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

The US Lakland necks are quarter sawn. A substantial difference in the eyes/ears/hands of many. That said, I've had a number of Skylines and a few US models. Some of the sklylines have been darned good, and sound great, too.