Laminate Maple Fretboards

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by uga1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. uga1

uga1 Member

I saw a custom shop fender strat online recently that had a laminate maple fretboard on the maple neck. My first question is: does laminate = not real maple? Do you guys find this odd on a custom shop strat? Is there any real negative to the fretboard being laminate maple?

2. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Senior Member

A laminate is a piece of wood that's glued to (usually) a relatively flat surface. Laminates can be very thin or quite thick. The 1/2" (or thicker) maple top on Les Pauls & clones thereof are still laminates.

3. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Senior Member

As far as the neck goes: the more laminates used in a neck, generally the more stable it is. 1-piece skunk stripe maple necks of old had a reputation of warping. Bass manufacturers often use 7 or 9 or more (especially with 5 or more strings) laminates in their necks, not including the fingerboard.

The only guitar I've played with Maple on Maple neck was a USA Yamaha Pacifica (as I understand, they are quite rare in that configuration). It was a stellar guitar & I loved the smoother feel of not having the skunk stripe on my palm. I believe Carvin uses this method with their maple necks & while I'm very impressed with all the Carvins I've played (& owned - 1 DC 127), I have not played a maple-FB Carvin.

4. JELLIS

JELLIS Member

It's a real maple fretboard glued on the maple neck. Laminated means that it is glued on. Fender started doing this way back in the 60's on some of their guitars, they are called maple cap necks, nothing odd or suspicious about it. The Fender Custom Shop makes a lot of those necks.

5. uga1

uga1 Member

Thanks for the replies gents. Sounds like it's nothing more than a maple fret board laid over the maple neck. Makes sense now too as there is no skunk stripe. The access to the truss rod is at the end of the neck nearest the neck pick up.