L'Amour in Brooklyn NYC question

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dr Bonkers, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

Can anyone put me in touch with anybody who worked at L'Amour rock club in Brooklyn?

I am to trying verify provenance on a piece of gear that has a story I am having trouble authenticating or debunking

2. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Dr Bonkers likes this.
  3. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

That place shat metal.

4. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Good times!

bobmc and Dr Bonkers like this.
  5. 59Vampire

59Vampire Member

Blast from the past! Wow

Dr Bonkers likes this.
  6. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

A guy sold me a Hiwatt cab at a good price. While helping me load it into the car, I asked him, so did you buy this new back in the day, did you inherit it, did you pick it up used along the way?

He proceeds to tell me this was one of the "house" cabs from L'Amour that he bought from its closing sale of goods. I can find no photographic evidence of this cab ever being on stage at L'Amour however.

I am hoping someone who worked there might be able to tell me yea or nay if I send them pictures of it. I don't want to spread a false provenance if it is just a tall tale that Leslie West and George Lynch both played through it at one time. It would be cool if it were verifiable in some way, but I am not about to tell anyone such a story is fact if someone can't corroborate it.

It's cool sounding piece of gear even without such a story.

treedroppings, monty and art_z like this.
  7. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I'll be completely honest I don't remember ever seeing a Hiwatt at La'mours. It was all Marshalls. I know a couple of bands that played that circuit. They all had to have their own equipment. There was no house stuff.

I never missed a night when TT Quick played. Dave Dipetro was a great guitarist. First guy I remember playing a Les Paul in the age of super strats.

8. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

We went to see Slayer there. I had never drunk before. My friends dared me to stage dive. As I ran across the stage the guitarist moved forward and his guitar cord lifted from the floor and I tripped over it, bringing down the amp. Needless to say the staff was unamused, they beat the crap out of me and tossed me to the curb, literally.

Riq, skhan007, spakuloid and 3 others like this.
  9. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Honestly, try reaching out to one of the Type O Negative guys on Facebook.

I know Josh Silver has a personal page & I'm pretty sure both Kenny Hickey & Johnny Kelly are active on their new band's page (Silvertomb).

If anybody's going to know anybody or anything about L'Amour, it's one of them.

59Vampire and Dr Bonkers like this.
  10. gtr777

gtr777 Member

I used to play L'Amour's Brooklyn and Queens and don't remember seeing a Hiwatt there...We always brought our own gear. In fact, we were the last band to play at L'Amours Queens. At the end of the night we were packing up and the owner comes over and says "you guys want some booze? we have a whole bunch of beer and booze left" He then proceeded to fill our cars with cases of beer.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  11. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Man, does THAT bring back memories for me ... TT Quick, Dave Dipetro, L'Amour .... good times

Dr Bonkers and Go Cat Go!! like this.
  12. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

Thanks for the lead. I will try that.

13. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

My personal recollection of going in the late 90's was no backline supplied by the club. I would go to showcases with bands playing on both stages, and there was a ton of load in and load out. That was the first place and last place I ever saw someone do cocaine in public, what a time to be alive. CB's and Arlene's Grocery get a lot of notoriety for the role they played in American pop culture, but this club was THE metal club, and there was a level of authenticity that stuck with it until the end.

Dr Bonkers, Go Cat Go!! and art_z like this.
  14. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

NYC legendary venue, like CBGB.

art_z likes this.
  15. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Don't forget, you have to pronounce it like the locals- La Mauz.

art_z likes this.
  16. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Yep! I saw Loudness, Accept, Ratt, Y&T, Yngwie, Gary Moore, and plenty more there. La'Mours the Rock Capital of Brooklyn!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    art_z, Dr Bonkers and freedom's door like this.
  17. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

I reached out to them. They never saw a Hiwatt cab as a house cab, so the seller's story was BS.

Why people do that in this day and age with so much video, pictures, social networking that can verify things, it just blows my mind.

freedom's door likes this.