Lancaster, PA holding it down.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by natron008, Jun 20, 2008.

1. natron008

natron008 Member

Hello all. I'm Natron from Lancaster, PA. This is a sweet site with lots of good info. I'm in the midst of starting up a classic R&R band, doing some Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, John Prine and originals in a very straight forward, old-skool rock and roll style.

I head up teh lead vocals and play a Martin 000-15 acoustic with an iBeam passive pick-up, through an ElectroniX Stronghold PreAmp Pedal and into a Frankenstien (as in made up a of lots of old parts) 1x10 tube amp.

So far we're just a 3 piece (me, lead guitar, drums) and using an acoustic (which I far prefer to an electric anyway) through that old tube amp really allows me to fill the space between the other guys. We get a pretty fat sound for not having a bass player.

That being said, we'd love to find an upright acoustic bass player to join the mix and really give us that retro, cow-punk-a-billy rock sound.

Anyway, that's me. Thanks for having me here.

2. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Greetings from Nashville! I used to live in the York area (started my company there) and played all over the Lancaster area back when I was playing out....small world it is!

3. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Supporting Member

Welcome to the board Natron. Lancaster is a great place. Next time you visit Manor Music Mansion tell Dale hello for me. :D

4. natron008

natron008 Member

I've actually never been there. Is that an actual music store?

5. natron008

natron008 Member

An I used to live in Bristol (TN), prior to landing a job in York, then moving to Lancaster!

6. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hi Natron008,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

7. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Supporting Member

It is. He has tons of used stuff or at least he used to. I haven't been there in years so who knows. :D

8. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Welcome Natron008 I grew up in Lancaster,PA and went to Hempfield High School (lots of jokes I used to get about my old HS gym bag of what was in it when I went to college years ago), and my sis still lives there.

9. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

10. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Welcome to The Gear Page!

12. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

Welcome. My sister lives not too far away (West Grove/Jennersville), and we'll be wandering through soon enough. Good luck with the band.

13. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

Welcome!! My Daughter will enter F&M in September so I will be making many trips to your area. Any good blues bars I should know!!!

Ron

14. natron008

natron008 Member

Sadly no. The Chameleon Club has some blues nights with big names, but that's probably it. I'd check out www.whatstappening.com if you're looking for any bars while in the area. F&M has an excellent brew-pub, but no bands there.

15. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

There is a jam in Lancaster at a club on I believe 30 Lemon St at a bar The Alley Kat Thurs nites, I jammed at in March when I visited my sister. Bob Noble & Blue Hoodoo hosts a few blues jams, check the web. I played the Chameleon years back sitting in on acoustic when I was visiting and played with the singer from the old Speed Boys. I remember The Village, Pequa Inn. playing at the park in Neffsville, Lititiz Rec etc. I used to play with The Younger Brothers in the early 70's. Isn't there a paper called The Fly or a free tabloid something listing what's going on in Lancaster? I remember the band Live had a complex in town near the Farmers Market close to the Chameleon.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  16. natron008

natron008 Member

Yeah, The FLY is good for checking on local happening. The Alley Kat has the best pizza in town, but I didn't know they had a blues jam. On Tuesday's there is an Open Mic at The Shamrock Cafe that I hear is gaining popularity. Anyone is welcome to look me up for a jam too. -peace

17. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Small world I've know Dale since I was a kid taking lessons in the mid 60's when he had The Colonial House of Music. I visit MMM when I come to Lancaster to visit my sister.

18. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

The Alley Kat jam is on Thursday nights. Steve Davis has a band that hosts a variety of musicians that come. If you're looking for blues check Bob Noble's site since he hosts a few. I find stuff out as a former Lancastrian who grew up there, especially when I bring a guitar and amp. The web is good info too.

19. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

My girlfriend grew up in Lancaster, so you have my full support. :)

Welcome.

20. deeval

deeval Supporting Member