• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Lance Keltner Checks out the Naked Amps TonePack for Fractal AX8

AustinBuddy

Here's a short video of Austin rock guitarist Lance Keltner checking out 10 of the presets from my "Modern Amps" bank in the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack collection.

These are presets played exactly has dialed-in in theTonePack, with no post-added compression or effects. Enjoy!

And here's a second one featuring clips from the Vintage & Boutique bank of the same TonePack:

Last edited:

wichita

The Fractal was mind blowing. Buddy really has the ability to bring these tones to you in the Fractal format and they feel and sound real.

AustinBuddy

Gear Page readers: What this TonePack does for Fractal users is make the AX8 and Axe-Fx more "Plug n' Play" and user-friendly out of the box. You can audition all 259 Fractal-modeled amps in two scenes, one lower and one higher gain, without a bunch of effects cluttering the sound up -- just amp and cab tone. It also organizes the amps into a more intuitive way to find them: vintage amps (chronological), Class As grouped together, Boutique amps, and then a Modern amp bank and a Cleans Only bank.

It's been said to me that this TonePack is analogous to having great Kemper amp profiles on 259 amps, so you can start with a dialed-in great sounding amp tone truly representative of how the real life ones feel and sound to play, then add the effects you want to taste. Just load and play!

There are bunch of testimonials on the Fractal Forum here and on some other threads there as well.

Cheers, and play inspired!

ak301

I've got this pack.

It's so good his settings, bar a few tweaks, have replaced most if not all of my amp tones in my main patches. They just have that extra percent my patches were missing.
And I keep finding new amps I never really got on with before. Meaning I'm happier with my AX8 than ever!

I'm not affiliated with AustinBuddy in any way btw

Wildwind

If anyone is wondering - I had a bit of trouble ordering my download. But AustinBuddy was quick on the draw and fixed my problem instantly. Very responsive! And I love being "connected" with someone of his background and credentials! He is "made man" in the music business. Some might relate him to Micheal Britt, who so wonderfully has mastered the Kemper and Amplifire and raised the tonal bar for guitarists of all levels.

AustinBuddy

Thanks for the kind words all!

The 700+ Naked Amps comes with a Classic Rock & Blues bonus TonePack. These aren't just amps but replications of iconic guitar tones from records (not necessarily for live playing). I've done a few videos that show those presets off you could reconstruct by watching:

How to make a 1967 Jimi Hendrix in London tone on a Fractal:

Allman Brother's Jessica - Doing Custom Harmony Scales

Plus, I have put up on Axe-Change for AX8, Axe-FX XL, XL+ and Mark II, my Steel String Singer "SteelSings" preset. There is no Dumble steel string singer amp model in the Fractal, but my friend Brandon Montgomery at Bludotone (I bought an Bludodrive Ojai from him that I love!!!) told me I could use the Ampeg SVT bass amp and do certain tweaks to get there, so he gets credit.... that's a good preset for certain SRV and John Mayer cleans or just a slight bit of grit Strat tones. You can download that one by visiting Axe-Change here and searching for "AustinBuddy."

There are lots of SoundClips as well here covering a good chunk of the amps by style, with different Austin guitar players using their own guitars, here's the playlist.

I'm hoping to put up more examples, so people can really see and hear how realistic the Fractal amps can be... it took me six months to make the TonePack, carefully going through every amp (all 259), dialing in low-medium gain for Scene 1 and medium-high gain for Scene 2, plus 200 lower gain "cleans only." Some players buy a Fractal but then struggle with getting a great tone; but they ARE in there (witness Lance's clips above). I basically stayed on amp model until I got it dialed in in a way that inspired ME to play -- and that is translating over.

I used a Zappa Roxy SG given to me by Dweezil Zappa that has medium-output humbucker and a split coil/tap for dialing in most of the TonePack, along with a '68 Tele neck pickup for the Cleans.

Last edited:

ColdFrixion

Thanks for the kind words all!

The 700+ Naked Amps comes with a Classic Rock & Blues bonus TonePack. These aren't just amps but replications of iconic guitar tones from records (not necessarily for live playing). I've done a few videos that show those presets off you could reconstruct by watching:

How to make a 1967 Jimi Hendrix in London tone on a Fractal:

Allman Brother's Jessica - Doing Custom Harmony Scales

Plus, I have put up on Axe-Change for AX8, Axe-FX XL, XL+ and Mark II, my Steel String Singer "SteelSings" preset. There is no Dumble steel string singer amp model in the Fractal, but my friend Brandon Montgomery at Bludotone (I bought an Bludodrive Ojai from him that I love!!!) told me I could use the Ampeg SVT bass amp and do certain tweaks to get there, so he gets credit.... that's a good preset for certain SRV and John Mayer cleans or just a slight bit of grit Strat tones. You can download that one by visiting Axe-Change here and searching for "AustinBuddy."

There are lots of SoundClips as well here covering a good chunk of the amps by style, with different Austin guitar players using their own guitars, here's the playlist.

I'm hoping to put up more examples, so people can really see and hear how realistic the Fractal amps can be... it took me six months to make the TonePack, carefully going through every amp (all 259), dialing in low-medium gain for Scene 1 and medium-high gain for Scene 2, plus 200 lower gain "cleans only." Some players buy a Fractal but then struggle with getting a great tone; but they ARE in there (witness Lance's clips above). I basically stayed on amp model until I got it dialed in in a way that inspired ME to play -- and that is translating over.

I used a Zappa Roxy SG given to me by Dweezil Zappa that has medium-output humbucker and a split coil/tap for dialing in most of the TonePack, along with a '68 Tele neck pickup for the Cleans.
In this day and age, honestly, I'd be far more inclined to download a small sampler pack and extract that into a folder where I can drag and drop the presets into Axe-Edit. Part of the reason some people are going to purchase your presets is because they're looking for an easy and convenient way to obtain tones that sound great, and in that regard if they have to visit a few different sites and watch or skip through a 17 minute long video just to create a single preset, some of your potential customers are likely to simply move on. Personally, I've considered spending the money to buy your presets, but with all due respect I'm not going to visit a couple of different sites and jump through a few hoops reconstructing some of your presets in order to get a taste of what you're offering. It seems like a relatively simple affair to compile approx. 5 - 10 sample presets into a zip file and offer them as a single download from your web store.

Last edited:

orogeny

Well yeah.. I got older.. it tends to happen to people.
aw, man. . . wasn't a put down
this was just two years ago:
i've had white hair for a long time now (only 48)
i just never knew you were hiding it :beer
i'm also used to you having longer locks

AustinBuddy

700+ Naked Amps Tonepack FIRMWARE VERSION 9.02 UPDATE

Hi everyone:

I have updated the TonePack to the firmware 9.02 version, and starting this week (December 10th) any new customers ordering will receive both firmware download versions (8.02 original and 9.02 update) when they order.

For past customers, if you created an account and login at www.austinbuddy.com, just login and you should see both firmware versions in your account now; so you can download 9.02 there.

Also, for just Axe-Fx Original and Mark II users, I did some updates to the Factory Cabs choices. A few Mark II users had reported a preset or two with blank cabs (user cab) showing up, so I wanted to make sure that was all fixed, and their updated version for both 8.02 and 9.02 includes a preset list with Cabs now like the AX8 and XL/XL+ version. A list of presets and all the cabs used in the Mark II version is included.

If you didn't create a login to the website, you will need to email me at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com and request a new download. Please include your order #, date, and the name from original purchase, which will help me locate your order faster in the database.

For those individual requests, I'll send you an email with the new downloads for both versions. Allow me a few days to turn requests around, as I'm traveling part of this week. Also check your spam folder too, sometimes emails get caught there.

The 9.02 update is free to existing customers, as promised.

Now, technically, you don't need to the 9.02 version if you already have 8.02 and you want to update. Here is my post explaining what to do if you want to do it yourself with existing presets and not fool with re-loading everything.

PS - The BONUS TonePack Classic Rock & Blues now also has three new Eric Johnson-style presets (clean, dirty rhythm, and lead) added in. Cooper Carter of Solo-A-Week fame was having some fun with these, you may too! Enjoy!

Top Bottom