Landau Chorus/Leslie effect

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Ok, I know it's an Arion SCH-1, but don't want that pedal for the simple reason of construction.
    which would be better for the Landau thing, the Option 5 or a Analogman Bi Chorus?

2. lukeII

lukeII Member

I think that the AM chorus or bichorus with deep switch comes closer. That said I read somewhere the Mike is also using the DLS Rotosim so migtht be worth a try.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I had the chance to A/B my '80s SCH-1 with an Analogman chorus (don't remember which version - it was the larger box) and while the AM was really nice sounding, it didn't have the chew that the Arion does.

Mine's got to be close to 20 years old and its in fine working condition - I don't think I'd let the ABS casing stop me from trying one out.

4. Don L

Don L Member

What's your setting on the SCH-1 for the leslie effect?

5. erksin

erksin Member

Rate: noon - 1:00

Depth: 3:30

Tone: 10:30

Stereo mode out to my amps...

6. Don L

Don L Member

Why the stereo mode? You're using more than one amp at a time?

7. Sandro

Sandro Member

I A/B the AM Choris w/depth switch and the SCH-1 and the AM Chorus get vary close a bit darker than the SCH-1. I prefer the SCH-1 but you need to put it in a true bypass box beacouse it distroy your tone or you can have xotic make it true bypass for $90.00.

Sandro

8. James Knox

James Knox Member

If you love the "Landau" sound, you won't find it in any other chorus other than the SCH-1 - I know because I tried :)

I agree that the cheap plastic casing looks out of place on a Pedalboard loaded with a bunch of other expensive Botiques, but after I made the decision to have the "Tones I Love" acessable under my feet decided that I love the sound of the SCH-1 MORE than I hate the look of the pedal (OK, I did put a piece of black electrical tape over the blue battery cover and replace the knobs with white ones I can see better on a dark stage).

IMHO and YMMV

Peace,

James

9. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - sounds huge.

10. erksin

erksin Member

I disagree - the buffers in Arion pedals are quite good in my experience. I have two on my board (SCH-1 and SAD-1) and they don't screw with my tone enough for me to want to put them in a looper.

11. Sandro

Sandro Member

I hate to have a true bypass box on my pedalboard, but after I have run a test to make sure I could not beleave how much they distroy your tone, all of the Arion need to be bypass it, take a look at Henderson board, I suggest you to do the test for your self.

[​IMG]

Sandro

12. erksin

erksin Member

I have...

13. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

I agree. I don't notice much difference with it in the chain as opposed to out of it. Probably just a difference in people's rigs. Now, my Dean Markley tuner is a different story. It's a major tone sucker so it goes in a loop!

14. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Still love my old Roland CE1. It takes up a lot of real estate on my board, but man it sounds good on the vibe side.

CT.

15. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Hmm, I don't know, decisions.

I own an HBE Chorus which is great, but I thought about the Bi because of it's two channels. I have just heard so much talk about the Option 5 here latley that it got me thinking.

I've tried the Arion along time ago, but the Bi Chorus with the deep mod sounds really good. There is just something about paying 100$ or more for a 15$ pedal that I can't seem to bring myself to do.

16. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Can someone point me to a Landau song where he uses the Arion SCH-1?
    I see no reason to pay $90 for a true bypass mod. It sounds fine, I have no problems with the buffer. Scott Henderson didn't mod his before Xotic started selling these, so I assume it didn't destroyed his tone. Also, it looks like he didn't get his old one modded either, so I assume this is one of the new SCHZ-1 modded by Xotic. Here's the old black SCH-1, that he painted green.

[​IMG]

17. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I'm with erskin, if there's any tone loss, it's not such a big deal with my system.

18. erksin

erksin Member

I think there is way too much 'listening with your eyes' going on in regards to the Arion stuff. They look ugly and cheap, yes - but they are some of the best sounding pedals I've ever owned. The fact that mine are 20+ years old and still perform flawlessly and sound killer is all the convincing I need that they are a quality product.

The SAD-1 is an insanely great sounding short delay too.

[​IMG]

19. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

The TC stuff has the chorus sound down.
    In 'Leslie Land': Option 5 and DLS RotoSim are replacing the H&K Rotosphere w/ players I bump into.

20. erksin

erksin Member

If you like the TC style chorus, I guess.

I find it really sterile.