Landau fans gather, I got an email from Mike.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DutchGuitarDude, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Sammo

Sammo Member

I know he does not want to dwell on the past, but I'd like to know how did he and the other cats of his generation (after Carlton, Graydon et. al) came up with *the* sounds of eighties. How involved was he in programming those presets or did Bob Bradshaw select the gear and do that?

But anyway, thank him for this opportunity and all the years of inspiration! And thank you for making this happening DGD!

DutchGuitarDude likes this.
  2. Blooby

Blooby Member

"What do you consider sleeper/under the radar pedals or rack gear?"

3. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I’d really like to hear what Mike thinks are the positives and negatives of the Drybell and the Blue Hippo when compared with his old Roger Mayer vibe and his Arion.

I would like to know if he still has an “always on” drive pedal (the Roger Mayer Drive) or does he tend to use the amp clean tones more nowadays?

4. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I loved him in Mission Impossible and Space 1999.

Oh wait... :rotflmao

Gig Young, Blue410, tdh and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

Mike will sound great regardless of the gear used...the actual gear doesn't matter much to me when appreciating Landau and what he does
    That said, I would want to ask: what do you look for in gear? What makes you choose to use something (or not)?

6. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

How about asking Mike some music related questions and less about gear directly? His tone choices have been discussed to death (see the old Huge Racks Forum as well).

I know Mike likes jazz and fusion. Which players has he checked out and has he done any transcribing of that at different points in the past?

He played Weather Report's Palladium and Don Grolnick's Nothing Personal with Karizma; does he listen much to that sort of thing typically?

He was on a Steve Tavaglione album with Holdsworth; did he check out much Allan? Any thoughts on him?

How about Scott Henderson and his lines? I know they know each other fairly well; what does Mike think of that sort of thing?

Thanks!

7. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

im trying to get him to do that in a next questionnaire

8. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

I know Michael wont come here, He is a shy guy and has no intrest in all kinds of people firing him questions every day. Thats why chose this way. He can answer them in his own time and tempo without any pressure....

ropiyas likes this.
  9. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

One thing he mentioned already tho, is that there are plans for an official facebook fan club account.

tvegas99 likes this.
  10. johan

johan Member

This is too cool Eric! Did you send any qustions to him?
    Ask for his favorite Boss Katana patch ;)
    I guess he can play through just about anything and sound great. He's IMHO one of the most musical players out there.

11. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

it is a shame. The focus should not be on trying to get his sound, which he might be reluctant to share anyway, but his total approach to playing music/guitar. I get it: Gear Page. But if you had an interview with the Dalai Lama, would you spend time asking him about his robe?

12. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Oh, I’ve met Mike before. He isn’t a shy guy per-say imo, just not super into the guitar star thing. Maybe quiet would be a better way of thinking about it. Karen on the other hand is just so comfortable and awesome. Honestly she is so sweet!

But, I didn’t mean for him to join TGP or answer questions here, but more so he could read through the topic and answer some things that may stand out to him, or just to see the appreciation and love for him here.

13. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

If he was famous for his Robe then maybe.

I get your point though, but this is a gear forum. I mean why even worry about his playing? He’s more than that. He’s a husband, son, brother, or a friend. What is his emotional state, what needs does he have? So many things more important than playing guitar.

I’m being overly facetious, but the point of asking about anything is usually connected to the interests of the person, what their known for/expertise, an agreed upon topic and so on. Hence TGP will probably talk about gear.

So it’s not a shame, it’s a body of people who have an interest in gear, while trying to gain insight into an individual who they admire how uses that said gear/common denominator.

Billyzoom1 likes this.
  14. SDB

SDB Member

If I was a member of a fashion forum called The Robe Page, then yeah, I'd probably want to know about his robe.

15. crazymauler

crazymauler Member

@DutchGuitarDude This is so cool. I'm late to this thread, but can't wait to hear what you find out. I'm a huge Landau fan, and have gotten to meet and talk to him a couple times. He's a really sweet guy, a total gentleman, and quite gracious with his time (not to mention an absolute wizard with a guitar).

16. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Dang, so my question about why he doesn’t wear a cape to go along with his super hero of guitar persona, is also a waste of time?

Seriously a note of thanks is all I can think of that makes any sense. The guy has “lived music” , at least fifty years of serious effort, added to considerable talent to begin with. So the answer to nearly any question is: work hard on it fifty years, it’ll start coming out pretty awesome. There aren’t secrets to be revealed, there aren’t shortcuts.. work and good ears, work and good ears, work and good ears, after awhile your ears will get even better. Good luck seems to happen more to people who work hard, funny how that is. BTW love your music Mr. Neer! I’ve already thanked Landau in person. He’s normal, a good egg, doing his best.

17. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Did you get any questions answered?

18. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

My questions where send 2 weeks ago, no reply yet. My initial email took 2 months to get a reply on....

Terry Hayes likes this.
  19. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

I wonder if he still has the big Bradshaw rig around. I did a session with him once and we A/B'd the rig with CAE 3+ and VHT power amp against his 74 Marshall. The rig won out and almost did the Marshall thing better than the Marshall did...

tvegas99 likes this.
  20. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

OK guys I got an reply on my first question from Mike. It was about how he uses gain and his gain pedals.

He asked not to post anywhere else but on the Facebook fanclub group. So please join there.

He went really deep on this stuff, deeper than I would imagine.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106028591139/?ref=share

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020