1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Landgraff DO vs. Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drummondrs, Oct 27, 2005.

1. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I can't decide which OD to get. I need to use it for mid-heavy gain but it can boost my amp. It will be going through a Hellcat. I just can't decide I need you guys to help me out. If this gives you any idea I love Tomo's tone. Thats what I am looking for.

2. wopr

wopr Member

Well, I'll take a crack at this. . .

I own both pedals, and use both for different things. For your purpose, the Timmy doesn't have enough gain, so the LDO is the way to go. These pedals have some overlap, but are more complimentary than identical.

They are similar, in that both are very "open" or "natural" sounding, so at certain levels you could probably get both pedals to sound about the same. But, the Timmy is a light to medium OD at best. The LDO has much more gain on tap.

So, for me, I use both, with the Timmy as the light OD, and the LDO being used for harder rock, and leads.

steve

(for the price, a Timmy into a Timmy might be the way to go)

3. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Yeah, the only bad thing about the Timmy is the ever increasing wait. I better prowl the emporium. How does the Landgraff handle lower OD levels? I would use a Sea Blue EQ after maybe to smooth it out and dust it off.

4. dosmun

dosmun Member

If you want Mid heavy then the LDO is the way to go. Another option is the General Guitar Gadgets Standard Overdrive. They are both modded Tube Screamer circuits.

5. wopr

wopr Member

Although I use the LDO in its higher gain settings, it actually sounds better in the mid to lower settings. At those settings its much more open, and less muddy. I'll try it out tonight and let you know.

I might have mis-read your questions though, if you were looking for a mid-frequency heavy pedal to lightly push an amp, either one will be good, and for the money, the Timmy is hard to beat.

My guess, in that role, they are neck and neck.

steve

6. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Isn't the Landy an investment as well?

7. This is the Edg

This is the Edg Member

I own both and love both. As I have said in earlier posts, I am judging them using a 77 SFTR, which is not one of the better years for twins (low end speakers as well).

The Landy has a rich, harmonic overdrive that sounds organic. It has three settings, all of which sound great. The Timmy has a mild overdrive that I don't find particularly pleasing with my set-up. BUT - when I have any other pedal engaged and use the Timmy as a booster, the tonal complexity makes it such a difference that listening to any pedal, not stacked with the Timmy, sounds a little lame.

The Timmy works it magic with an OCD and the Marshall Guv'nor as well.

In short, get them both!

8. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

I tried running the Tim into my Landgraff last night and as usual, it adds a little brightness when stacked that it doesn't have when used alone.

I have tried running the Tim into a number of different overdrives - not because I need extra gain, but because I only want to step on one footswitch. I want to leave the Tim on when I add that heavier lead pedal. But even though the Tim is set for as flat and neutral a sound as I can get out of it, whenever I add it to the heavier lead pedal (Landgraff, in this case) there is a small but noticeable eq shift which sounds mostly like a little upper mid/treble spike. If I cut the Treble back a bit so I don't get that, then the Tim is a little too muddy by itself. That little extra clarity is not so much a problem, but it takes 2 pedals that I think are fantastic and natural sounding when used alone and makes them sound cheap and kind of "transistory" when used together. And it's definitely the Tim since it has done this with every OD I've tried it. But I love it by itself and have been using it since Paul C sent me a prototype 2 1/2 years ago.

9. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Nice. Does anyone know if the Landgraff compares to the CJOD?

10. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

If memory serves me, I believe I had read some time back that Clay Jones and John Landgraff used to work together building pedals and that there are some significant similiarities between the two pedals. It went on to say that the CJOD is very much the same pedal as the Landgraff if the switch is set in one position - like in the down position, maybe.

I don't know whether any of that was verified by a truly reliable source - like Clay or Landgraff - so it may be just another myth. That happens alot on the internet... especially in guitar forums, it seems.

11. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

For mid-heavy I would definately get the Landgraff (down position especially). Other positions give more of a full frequency boost. I've had both. The timmy is a very nice pedal, but was almost too transparent in tone... more like a clean boost. It also has a flexible EQ, and is a fantastic deal for the prcie. But I have a java boost and sea blue eq which I prefer for boosting and EQ.

The landgraff is a really sweet pedal. As was noted in another post, it sounds great boosted by a java boost (would likely sound great boosted by a Timmy too) and rounded out by the sea blue. I like it in virtually all gain settings.

12. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Have you tried running your other peddles into the Tim?

I think if you use the tim or timmys eq after your overdrive this is were the tim or timmy shines no the other way around.

I think the timmy is an incredable peddle. I recently pluged an MIJ squire into anSWR acoustic amp :eek: via a timmy and I was able to get that tweed deluxe kinda zz top sound:dude from an acoustic amp!

Sure, they are not high gain at all, but the richness and EQ is pretty incredable. My freind showed me how he runs a fuzz box in front of a tim or a timmy and WOW spectacular tone.