Landgraff Dyanmic Overdrive $400, Landgraff amp $7.5K ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheGrooveking, Aug 1, 2005.

1. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Anyone play one of these things?

Well the link is not working, go to ebay and do a search on Landraff, there is an amp listed, check it.

WTF, can't understand why the link keeps failing.

TheGrooveking

2. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

wow, would jesus play a $7,000 amp?

3. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Jesus already owns everything. He wouldn't need to pay 7k for an amp. Anyway, if he didn't have an amp he could just speak it into existance.:D

4. studio8000

studio8000 Member

i had head #3. great sounding amp... very different and hard to compare to anything else on the market. mine had EL34's, but it definitely had a fenderyness to it, along with some marshall crunch. good touch response. can get a variety of tones with the mini switches. if i didnt use many pedals and just did a guitar/amp type gig, i would have probably kept it. but i sold it to a local buddy of mine (who now has 3!!!). didnt think it's be worth that much, but i guess since john takes so long to finish his stuff, that demand definitely outweight supply. as surprising as that price was when i first saw it... i actually would be surprised if it sold. super rare, well built, and Nix is a cool guy.

5. larrylover

larrylover Member

I'll eagerly await my Straub Cantus -- a 50 watt el34 amp too -- that costs a small fraction of that.

6. aeolian

aeolian Member

I don't know how it sounds, but for 4-7K you'd think the guy could afford a computer and an hour of time to type up some sort of manual. That looks like the Stonehenge napkin from Spinal Tap. :)

7. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

My Landgraff pedal had hand-written instructions. I thought it was kinda cool!

As for the amp, it doesn't hurt to try, right?

I just don't like wasting my own time listing at a price that is such an inredible long shot. Collectibility/rarity doesn't always translate into high prices. There still has to be demand. And I don't think there's that much word of mouth yet about these amps. /13 has gotten out of hand, but nowhere near double retail! or more.....

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

John L. isn't charging $7K for the amp, someone else is. The market will determine the price, just like it does with anything hard to get. He is a one man shop that has done quite well with his pedals, no doubt. I have a very early one that sounds great.

Years ago, John offered to build me one of these amps for $1500. Now his time is spent making pedals-----his bread and butter---so building an amp takes quite a while, and I'm sure it costs more than $1500---but many other amps do as well.

9. chris nix

chris nix Member

John's amps were going for close to $4k new, a few months ago. Add to that the 2.5 year waiting list, and the fact that I'd rather not sell it (I LOVE the tone) and that's what I'll take for it.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off, as much as make it worth selling for me. I don't expect $7k for it, but I won't part with it for less than $4k. He made it specifically for me, to the point that, the first time I tried it, I had him change it a little, which he did in about a week's time.
    Truthfully, if it doesn't go for the $4k starting bid, I won't be hurt. I'll just keep it.
    I don't buy amps as investments; I use the stuff I have. I'm finding that I am a bit too careful and wary when I take it out of the studio which, for me, is kind of a red-flag. I don't like to worry about whether or not I'm de-valuing a piece of gear by using it. This is the first thing I've ever felt that way with, and I have some old Fenders and Gibsons the I beat the crap out of.

I'm not trying to alienate or offend anyone with the pricing; the numbers just make sense with the low serial# and rarity of these babies. Plus, even if I get what I'm asking out of it, the person that buys it must promise me the Right of First Refusal, should they ever decide to sell it!

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

YOu don't need to justify anything. You can charge what you'd like . It's yours!!!!!!!!! There's just a pnut gallery here. Of course I mentioned the offensive nameplates on his stuff, but the amp is gorgeous and I'd assume it sounds gorgeous too! ERIC

11. chris nix

chris nix Member

It does sound amazing....to the point that after months of trying to ween myself off of it, I'm having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about losing it.
    As far as the name-plate, some find it quirky, but I think of it as just being how John "rolls", as the kids say. John is a very sweet and warm person that takes his beliefs seriously, and I respect anyone like that, regardless of denomination, orientation, etc.
    I think it's kind of cool.:cool:

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

asking $5500 on ebay for a used head, cab, and road case.

13. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Here we go again... trying to figure out if an amp is worth it or not.

This is a special amp, and if I had the cash, I would certainly try to get this one. Some of you here pay that much for a guitar! Why not an amp? And a super rare and sweet one to boot!!

I know Chris and I would have no hesitation to buy anything from him. Plus, the man has a great ear... makes a THD Flexi sound like a million bucks! I can only imagine how the Landgraff 50 sounds!

Diezel, Bogner, Dumble, Fuchs, Two Rock, on and on and on... they are all expensive!

So let's put to rest this age old question... "is it worth it?" because for someone, it is.

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

yup, if it sells.... will it, that's the question.

15. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

That question will be answered in about 5 days or so...

16. gokfg

gokfg Member

Recently, I had the pleasure of doing business with John Landgraff, in my opinion he is a very outstanding individual, Businessman, Christian and one I would like to consider as a newly acquired friend. When it come to money! So many others wouldn't stop at an opportunity to stab you in the back, this man will not hassel you to buy his products, instead he will patiently describe in detail what it is that he can do for you and stand by his word. In a world where we have to have people brought before our court system to demand honor of integrity, this man because of his passion for morality and confidence in a God giving talent, will deliver. I consider monies spent with this man as investment. I'm a proud owner of a J. Landgraff's Dynamic Overdrive and considering my options for a custom J. Landgraff Amplifier.
    Its funny how we can get caught up in spending pennies for mass produce products whether its DO pedal, Amps ect. if you really did a cost analysis on parts and labor, well trust me that will be an entirely different forum. I think I'll open a new set of .09 and get busy. peace!!!

17. johan

johan Member

Wonderful post gokfg! I agree 100%.
    Happy owner of a custom Landgraff Dual OD.
    It's a work of art believe me.

18. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I have 3 Landgraff pedals and I'm very satisfied with the quality of workmanship, the tone, and the customer service I received from John Landgraff. That seems to be the general trend for the Landgraff pedals. It seems that practically everyone who owns one loves it. Also, John is a wonderful guy to talk to about gear. However, former TGP member Cutter had a Landgraff amp on order and went through a real ordeal before he finally received his amp. If you're thinking of ordering an amp I would make sure that you have a contract in writing that clearly specifies details like the delivery date, payment schedule, features and approval period. I'm not sure if the situation Cutter went through was the exception or the rule, but I would want to protect myself just in case based on his experience. BTW, he ended up loving the amp even though the acquisition process apparenty wasn't very pleasant.

FVB