1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive first impression

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blueprint, Dec 8, 2005.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

So, I’ve just got a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive…

Thanks to Brakhage for the nice deal. Do not hesitate to buy something from him, he is a very nice guy! :AOK

Back to the subject:
    I’ve been looking at this one on and off for about two years. The main reason for my hesitation was it’s price: $400 for one pedal is still a lot of money, but I decided to buy one because:
    - It has to be a good pedal, otherwise John Landgraff would have stopped his business for years as he offers to refund his non satisfied customers.
    - People do not love this pedal only because it’s expensive.
    - Why paying such a price for a modded Tube Screamer? It’s obviously more than that.
    - I’ve read many reviews, most of them were laudatory.
    - Plus it has a strong resale value!
    I’ve played it a couple of hours with my strats and humbuckers guitars, into my Matchless Chieftain.

My first impression:

It’s something exceptional, an outstanding pedal.

I’m not really a collector. I buy a lot of gear and keep only what I find good to my ears. My OD setup was: Eternity, Dual Drive, Klon, plus Analogman’s TS mods.

The Landgraff is still a step above.

All those ODs are very good, and have their own personality. The Landgraff is still different, mostly in it’s amazing dynamic response. If you pick softly, you get a near clean sound. The harder you play, the harder the pedal reacts. With the Matchless which is already a very dynamic amp, it’s incredible.
    Everything has been said about this pedal, and probably better than I do here. To compare with something else, it’s like driving an average car for years and getting a Porsche or a Ferrari. It’s still a car, you do not drive better because of it, but what a feeling…

By the way, all my others pedals still have their utility. With a special mention to the Eternity (what a good name!) which is still different in a good way.
    I can understand why some players are not impressed with the Landgraff. Without being pretentious it’s not a pedal for beginners as you have to control your playing a lot to appreciate it. Not to say that those who do not like this pedal are poor players of course, but at some settings with smooth playing you just cannot understand what it’s here for.

I will probably have some recording facilities next year and I will be able to post some clips. I strongly believe that a small clip is better than a long review…

And thanks for reading this…

;)

dabutnut likes this.
  2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Having owned many of the most desireable OD's (I mean almost all of them) . . . . . I think the Landy stands out in it's feel mostly. It really does have a mid-hump, for some that's good, for others it's not, I personally think that's where the guitar's primary voice seems strongest. It's a pedal that retains clarity yet feels like there's a ton of harmonically rich vocal gain . . . . .a very nice combo.

The Eternity is another I'd say is amoung the top pedals I've tried.

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

The Langraff DO is one of the very few OD pedals left on my list to try. I have a couple of true winners in the CJOD and the Eternity. I'll very likely purchase one after the start of the year. Thanks for the review!

4. Brakhage

Brakhage Member

Glad the Landy arrived safe. I must agree the Landgraff stands out (along with the Honey Bee) among all the overdrives i've owned. If you purchase one and are not completely satisfied you really should get the tone kit....it opens up alot of different tonal options...if the mids are a little much just swap a chip and your good to go...its just an outstanding OD.

dabutnut likes this.
  5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

BRAKHAGE,

What does the tone kit do ?

thanks

6. wopr

wopr Member

+1 on the LDO.

I also would llike to know what the tone kit does.

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Well stated! That could be said for many guitars and amps as well. Thanks for the review...I think a Landy will be in my future as well. It seems to be one of those at the top of the mountain so many of us are scaling. :)
    Greg

8. blueprint

blueprint Member

The tone kit...
    John Landgraff can "tune" the pedal to your taste by switching some components, mostly chips.
    Or you can purchase a "tone kit" from him, and do it yourself.
    Actually, think about Lovepedal Eternity, which is sold with different chips.
    Even if I have the tone kit I haven't touch the pedal's guts yet...But I will try for sure!
    Hope this helped...:D

9. wopr

wopr Member

Blueprint:

Thanks for the info, but what does he say the other chips will do? Change the amount of drive or the tone?

thanks,

steve

10. blueprint

blueprint Member

Good question...
    I believe both as chips have an influence on tone and drive.
    Regarding mids, the kit contains another capacitor to cut some mids off.
    So it seems pretty complete.
    I'll have to check that.
    Stay tuned!

11. jj4guitar

jj4guitar Guest

I feel the Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive is the best I have played. I have not played all the overdrives, but many. Klon used to be my favorite, until I met John when he was developing the pedals. I played the very first ones, and was so blown away. I use Landgraff stuff almost exclusively. OD, Wah, Boost, and 1x12 deluxe combo. Each has been the best I have had the priveledge of using. The Dynamic Distortion sounds amazing as well, but there was only 1 made. He makes the Mo'D pedal as well. The Mo'd pedals I played were voiced more for Single coils, and I am more of a humbucker person. They were a little too thick for me. He has voiced some for humbuckers now, but I have not had the chance to play one yet. I live in Texas now, and Pensacola is quite a trip. I drive there just to see John and play his newest gear once a year, or 2times.

The tone kit includes different capacitors. A symmetrical, asymmetrical resistor socketed. Different 4558 chips, TI or JRC. Each lot, and batch of chips have different tonal charactersitics. The pedal is fully socketed and all components can be removed and/or replaced. The pedal can be set up for more/less gain, more/less treble, bass, midrange, bandwidth...etc. Very unique. Oxygen free solid core copper wire, 4% silver solder, and the 3 way switch makes for a very versatile pedal. I highly recommend the tone kit if you re a tinkerer, or just want more versatility.

I bought all my stuff at full price, and am not an endorser of his products, I just believe he is one of the top builders in the world. His attention to detail is the best I have seen. He researched these pedlas for almost 2 years before releasing them. He experimented with every componnt you can imagine. 400.00 is for his knowledge, not just the components. He hand selects all of them, and weeds out anything questionable. I have seen him get rid of hat most people would put in there pedals and amps. Only the best of the best go into these pedals. Sorry for my rambling.

JJ

dabutnut likes this.
  12. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

You know, I'm glad folks out there are enjoying this pedal that much.

But for me, I didin't get it at all! I found it kind of strident and over the top gain-wise.

And the Jesus thing was kinda weird.

I think the Timmy is a much better pedal for 1/4 the price. My 2 cents folks! :eek:

13. landru64

landru64 Member

i think it would be interesting for folks to post their findings if they make changes to their LDOs. i have been toying around with different configurations on one of my LDOs and have been getting some cool tones.

one change i rather like is using the 10uf electrolytic on the output rather than the tantalum. it has more of that metallic snap that the mjm blues devil has.

p.s. i just started using my landgraff with 18v and it rocks!! the touch response and clarity went way off the scale. not sure i like it better on the up positions, but the tube screamer position really shines!!