Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive vs. Rockbox Boiling Point

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by saltydogg, Mar 3, 2012.

1. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I've never played either of these but, I've watched some demo's of both.

Just looking for opinions on both of these pedals. I'm using humbuckers and P-90's.

Thanks!

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Full disclosure: I don't own either one of these pedals, although I do have an original TS808... I played them back to back with a PRS guitar at American Guitar in Minneapolis, into a Fender BF amp.

They're well built and optioned up Tubescreamers. That means the distortion comes from diodes in the negative effects loop of the first 1/2 of a dual op-amp. Both have switching to allow different types of diodes (or none, for the boost setting) and both have a pre-EQ switch for bass boost. They sound great, especially into mid-scooped, flubby bass amps like a BF Fender. And they look cool with the swirly paint jobs.

So, why don't I own one? There really aren't any mojo parts in a Tubescreamer. The distortion happens because the negative feedback rounds off the top of sine waves after they reach a certain voltage. This also means that they clean up nicely with the volume, and tend to have a "smooth" distortion characteristic. But, unlike fuzzes, nothing is being driven beyond it's normal parameters, so any red LED will sound like any other red LED, any JRC4558 will sound like any other JRC4558, any decent resistor or film cap will sound like any other. The BP and LDO consistently sound good because they're well put together, and they look pretty, but anybody with the BYOC kit and decent soldering skills can build something that'll sound just as good. If they were $200-300 like the Foxrox Zim (another VERY good TS with some cool tricks) I'd say they could be a good deal, but at $300-500, I'd shop elsewhere...

3. MiguelO

MiguelO Member

I can't speak on the Landgraff but I have owned a Boiling Point for over 2 years. iMO it is a good pedal for heavier overdrives. I actually don't think it sounds transparent like a tube screamer at all. My biggest problem with this pedal was that it was TOO gainy. Even at lower settings it could be too much. Also, the volume knob is VERY sensitive and if you play live and kick it (like I always did cause I'm clumsy), the slightest change in the volume knob meant the HUGEST difference in volume. It became hard to dial in the specific volume so I got another overdrive with less DB's of volume so that knob wasn't as sensative.

However, if you are looking for a killer "big" overdrive sound, this is a great pedal with three great functions: overdrive, boost, Plexi. Just be careful with that tricky volume knob. And don't be thinking "transparent tubescreamer pedal" when you buy it! They are very different.

4. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I believe RockBox used to advertise or at least openly admit that the Boiling Point was a direct copy of the LDO. Even if they didn't, it is.

5. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the info, Gents.

Would you one of them sounds more "classic" than the other?

drbob, how was the dynamics/touch sensitivity with these 2 pedals compared to your TS808?

Thanks again guys.

6. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

i have had the boiling point for a good while now. nothing else compares so far. it is my desert island drive pedal.