Landgraff MO' D Clips?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarpkr67, Sep 30, 2006.

1. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Does anybody know where I can listen to this pedal at? I'd like to get an idea of how it sounds. A couple other questions: Do these run the same as the LDO pricewise? And can you get them from Blues Angel or just from Landgraff himself? Thanks.

-Brenton

2. guitarpkr67

3. jtkung

jtkung Member

i'd also like to hear some clips --- actually, ANY clips of Landgraff's stuff (either the ldo or mo'd). you hear specific tgp users tout how great they sound, and how much better they are then the zen or eternity. which is fine. but it would be good to judge for ourselves since "better" is very subjective depending on your musical taste. for example, some people would much rather prefer a fuchs amp than a bruno amp. it depends on what sound you're looking for.

i can hear clips of both the zen and eternity, either online or for example, regarding the zen -- live on stage with robben ford when he plays one into a backline fender. this gives me at least some idea of the general tone.

the only clip i've seen of the landgraff (this one is the dynamic overdrive), is from donner's video shootout of 8-9 tube screamer-like pedals. and to me, it did not sound that much better. imho, the mi audio blues pro sounded the best, and it's only $109 compared to the ldo's $389 price. i'm sure there's more to it than that, but surely some well-recorded clips can reveal the landgraff "superiority?"

4. jtkung

jtkung Member

hey devil-tone,

thanks ... i must have missed this. on the ldo, do you know the major difference between the up and down selections? from what i have heard, i think the down position has a lower volume, so that's the setting with symmetric diodes. it probably sounds more compressed, yes? i think the up setting is with leds, so it should sound louder, crunchier, more raw -- maybe a tad lower in volume than the middle, which is pure jrc4558d distortion and the loudest.

you mentioned using a mexican reissue with antiquities. is this the seymour duncan antiquities humbuckers in a strat?

it does sound pretty good in your setup! do you have any clips of the landgraff mo'd?

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

No it's a 50's Mexi RI Tele with straight single antiquities. My LDO is different. I have JFETS in mine for the down position and the usual LEDs for the up. The down position is the "808'ish" sound, but to me it takes the 808 to a whole other level. The up position is just fantastic. But most of what you gathered is correct. My LDO doesn't have a 4558. It's a secret chip. :)

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

I don't have clips but can only say that the MO'D has less going on in the mids...which makes it more open sounding...+ it's fatter and more articulate in the high end and the highs are sweeter...not only that in the upper gain ranges it can get fuzz-like...

I can only say that after I got my LDO I ordered an MO'D which gave me a benchmark to tweak my LDO to for a bit less congestion in the mids and a bit more high end...the 2nd JRC chip that came in the Tone kit did the trick...

the great thing is that the MO'D retains the same touch and feel that the LDO has...I have both on my board and love my LDO but the MO'D has just knocked me out and is now the standard by which I judge all dirt pedals by...

Donnors clip showcases the LDO through a Fender Princeton with a Greenback...IMO when you have a mid heavy pedal going into a middy speaker the results are less than stellar and not the best environment for the LDO to shine as that clip bears out...I had the same experience when running my LDO through a Governor and my Fargen which is Fender inspired...I stuck a Red White and Blues in the same amp the LDO sounds spectacular...

The MO'D doesn't have this limitation...

The MO'D was $425 shipped direct from John...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. jtkung

jtkung Member

hmm .. jfets for the clipping diodes? that's interesting. does it sound smoother and more compressed than regular diodes? and i assume the secret chip is unmarked? :(

thanks for shedding some light on the landgraff stuff. your demos show some cool sounds and playing. just wish his stuff was a bit more accessible.

8. jtkung

jtkung Member

thanks for the description. would you say that the mo'd has more gain and sort of continues where the ldo left off? i think the mo'd also has a three position switch. what do these positions sound like?

i've heard that the mo'd is based loosely on a rat architecture, but the sound is quite different. i'm trying to understand what the distortion is like in comparison. i think you gave a good description, but would still love to hear a clip!

9. guitarpkr67

Yeah, thanks for the discription Seegs.

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

John is very accessable. All you have to do is call him. When I call him for a quick question, we usually end up talking about all sorts of things for hours. He's a great multi-tasker. :) The chip is marked, I just prefer not to let it known. I want mine to sound like what I looked for. No offense to you all. There isn't that much more compression via the JFETS that I can tell. It doesn't seem a bit more open yet compressed (great with single coils) and they seem to have a little more presence in there than the stock diodes. It's hard to explain. :messedup The tone is very complex to me.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've heard that but it doesn't sound like any Rat I've ever had just like the LDO doesn't sound like any Tubescreamer I've ever had...I think its safe to say that the MO'D takes off where the LDO leaves off as far as amount of gain avaliable but tonally they are different animals...different but complimentary...I think they compliment each other really well and they also stack really well...normally I don't like to stack but having em both on at the same time works amazingly well as you don't lose any articulation and they blend perfectly...

the three position switch acts like the one on the LDO only with the MO'D flavor I tried to describe before...up is kinda more bitey and has more gain than the middle position..middle is louder and more of a clean boost with a bit of hair and down is the lower volumn most gain type setting...all usable throughout the dial and allowing you to dial it in with most amps...

the gain avaliable in the MO'D is more than the LDO and gets fuzz-like after about 3 OC but also has some really killer articulate low gain tones....the LDO has enough gain for almost all my purposes...whats amazing with both of Johns pedals is that the tones are usuable throughout the whole range...

again sorry I don't have any clips to share maybe one day I can find the time...

Chow,
    Seegs