Landgraff Mod compare to Keeley Rat??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jasonlee77, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jasonlee77

jasonlee77 Member

Dear Folks,
    Anyone A/B them?? is that sound very close??and which one is better ?? :confused:

Thanks a lot

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Depends on how much money you have. :)

The Keeley Rat or Freakshow Brown Rabbit ( 1+ ) will get you close enough.

3. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

no where near the Landgraff!!!:)

4. TJSmitty

TJSmitty Member

And for me, personally, that's quite a good thing.

Wait a few months for the new Ooh La La manufactured Beavis Audio FKR. It will do just about anything any damn rat that has ever been will do, including the Landgraff, but without the poor component choices.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

some people say lands are just copies of other pedals with a high price.

I wouldn't know cause i have seen many players praising them, not that i have heard one of those players to know at what level they are, so just try to find a place where you can ab them and buy the one that you like more.

6. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I love my Mo-d but would like to try the new FKR.

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Well, I had the FKRII and I much prefer my Mo'D. The FKR has a few really nice sweet spots, but the MO'D sounds better at its best spots and is very useable throughout the whole range.
    I sold my FKR shortly after getting my Mo'D.

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

For me - Nothing has even come close to the Mo'D..... It's just perfect IMHO.

9. jasonlee77

jasonlee77 Member

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

:roll

Don't waste your coin...buy a M'OD :D

11. RickB

RickB Member

Poor component choices? Please explain.

12. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

we did a shootout the other day with mo'd and keeley and rabbit. They all have something good goin on. To me I think the mo'd is fuller,fatter but a little fuzzier. The keeley and freakshowsound tighter,not as full,but less fuzz. But if you spend time you can come close to dialin them into soundingvery similar. just my report. love them all. but everyones ears are different.

13. Dave

Dave Member

Is the Landgraff fuller/fatter than the Keeley in 'Phat Rat' mode?

It's nice to hear somebody say they at least compare favorably. I love my Keeley Rat and I'd really love to try the Landgraff, but I cannot bring myself to spend the money.

14. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Supporting Member

To me the MO'D is still the champ but at a price. The others are excellent too and will save you $$$$$

15. Dave

Dave Member

Alrighty, I got myself a Mo'D. It's nice, but I can't find a sound in it that I can't duplicate almost exactly with my Keeley Rat. I'm not going to go through how they compare mode for mode, but in general they have slightly different midrange humps, the Keeley's being a bit lower. I also think the Keeley has a little more low end. The clipping is slightly different too. The Mo'D has a touch more bite and the Keeley is a little smoother. These differences are very subtle though.

One big difference is the tone control on the Mo'D works much better than the Keeley's. The Keeley has the typical Rat filter control that has a tiny sweet spot. The Mo'D's tone control has a much broader, smoother sweep.

I'm not trying to slam the Mo'D here, I like it every bit as much as the Keeley, and that's my point. Given the choice I'd go for the Keeley (or any other Rat clone w/3-way) and save some money. I can't believe anyone could A/B these two pedals and say one is better than the other by anything but a slight margin.

16. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

But the Mo'd looks a heck of a lot better than that other big black box. Isn't that worth a few hundred itself? :D

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

Aside from the tone question, that Beavis version has WAY too many switches and knobs for my taste.