Landgraff VS. Lovekraft...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tookermel, Feb 3, 2008.

1. tookermel

tookermel Member

Just wondering about a few things:

First off, I own a Lovekraft Mojo-Drive, but I don't own any Landgraff pedals. I know they are very similar, but, how are they different? For example, my Mojo-Drive can be kinda noisy, but hey, what OD's aren't - even a little? Also, the volume is VERY touchy.....I mean, it's kinda hard to find unity volume on this thing. You're either too low and compressed, then by the time you turn the pedal up, you get real loud, real fast. Are they built with similar components? Does anyone own both? How do they compare/contrast?

Thanks,
    -Tookermel

2. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

3. tookermel

tookermel Member

Anybody got any experience with both of these? Any A/B'ing done with 'em?

-Tookermel

4. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

I have had both lovekraft pedals and landgraff pedals. I ab'd the ldo with the mojo, and I personally liked the mojo better. And The other day I did the same with the mo'd and the new chupa, and set the controls the same and could not hear a difference. Very happy with the new lovekraft although theswirl is not as pretty as the landy's, this is the closest to the wonderful sounds of the mo'd I have heard, including the freakshow rabbit and keeley rat.

5. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Can you post pics of all the pedals together? Good collection!:dude

6. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

I had both to compare and picked up the Mojodrive as a spare cheaper alternative to the LDO to have off the pedalboard as a grab and go pedal.

I ended up returning the Mojodrive, its a great pedal for the price and very close in sound to the Landgraff with the clipping switch toggle options. Ethan's customer service is top notch and he was a pleasure to work with as well.

To my ears the Mojo had a bit more of a brighter and higher treble frequencey compared to the LDO.

The LDO had more High Fi like fidelity feel and breath to it when digging into notes for dynamics.

In the end it could just be the combination of my guitar pickups, amp and playing style that caused me not like the Mojo as much as the LDO, and it could be the complete opposite experience for someone else trying the two pedals and comparing them.

Sound and Tone are subjective to the ears.:YinYang

7. jazzandmetal?

I had the EXACT same experience and thoughts. I also got the mojodrive and ended up returning it for the same reasons. It was a good pedal though. Also, as someone else stated I thought it was a touch noisy.

8. zerorez

Thanks JazzandMetal, I am glad that some else hears stuff the way I do sometimes. I think this helps prove I am not fully crazy, just gear crazy, still lovin the BMOD.

Duanesworld, I still have your old MO'D that I bought from you on the Emporium and used to belong to Lou (LV), love that darn pedal, the LDO and MO'D are my top 2 go pedals depending on if I am playing a strat or les paul.

Cheers, Joe
    :BEER

9. jazzandmetal?

I unfortunately sold my BMOD the other day to get an LDO...then I bought a PP800...and just rebought an eternity I owned 2 years ago....these damn pedals...:messedup

10. zerorez

Thats funny (LOL), getting back an old pedal is sometimes like getting back a old girlfriend! :crazy

11. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

They are VERY similar. In fact, I would venture to say that in a live situation, no one would know the difference in a band setting.

The posters in this thread are pretty accurate. The LDO is a bit quieter and the MD has a bit more gain.

This has been debated to death here, but let's just say they cover alot of the same ground.

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+1 with the SRB808 IME as well.

13. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Hasn't Ethan addressed this by using different volume pots in his most recent builds?

14. Snakum

Snakum Member

From what I've read, he certainly has. I'll be able to tell you for sure later this week. :dude

15. Garygtr

haha, me too :eek:
    Pulled the trigger on one today, I think I really need a good TS type pedal in my rig, based on research here I'm trying the Mojo. Nice that he gives you a 48 hr approval (I bought new)

16. gearboy

gearboy Member

I had the Mojo, and while it was well built and had a lot of gain, it was just too bright in my rig.......I really wanted to love it, but it didn't happen.

17. Garygtr

Rig details?

18. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Bright? I gotta tell you, the MD is alot of things, but bright ain't one of them. Sounds like an equipment issue.

19. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Mine is the opposite. With my LP I have the tone on the MD @ 3:00 -4:00, or slighly backed off from full up.

20. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Mine was super bright as well. I did like the pedal but it just had way too much high end for me.