Landry Amp Club

tonesurfer

In da club. Hey, anybody try some different power tubes then the stock EI's? I'm curious to know if anyone has tried winged Cs or JJs.

tonesurfer

Bump! I got the new updates and the amp rocks. I think its the ultimate 80s shred amp! Better than all the Soldanos and Bogners!

R Weaver FX

I tried the Winged C's in mine and I didn't care for them. I found them to tame and loose in the bottom. I put the EH's back and I like it much better.I however put some NOS GE 12AX7's in V1and V3 and it's absolutely killer

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Sadly, I'm not longer part of the club. But I do have many hours clocked in on an LS100! I actually liked the SED EL34s better than the EH EL34s. The EH's were a little more "boomy" to me. I'm just a sucker for SEDs in any amp really. Really sweet mids.

I went through a bunch of preamp tube combinations using some NOS stuff and newer production stuff. Believe it or not, but I preferred the stock EH preamp tubes over everything else. Weird, I know!

Great amp!

R Weaver FX

Sadly, I'm not longer part of the club. But I do have many hours clocked in on an LS100! I actually liked the SED EL34s better than the EH EL34s. The EH's were a little more "boomy" to me. I'm just a sucker for SEDs in any amp really. Really sweet mids.

I went through a bunch of preamp tube combinations using some NOS stuff and newer production stuff. Believe it or not, but I preferred the stock EH preamp tubes over everything else. Weird, I know!

Great amp!
I found that the GE pres took care of any boominess.They really are awesome in there.I just couldn't gel with the SED's in this amp though.I also have the updates done.

tonesurfer

I tried the Winged C's in mine and I didn't care for them. I found them to tame and loose in the bottom. I put the EH's back and I like it much better.I however put some NOS GE 12AX7's in V1and V3 and it's absolutely killer
Interesting. I'm curious to hear if someone tries JJs.

I tried many NOS tubes in V1 which didn't sound as good as the EIs. I found an early 60s Mullard (I61 code) though that does some serious magic in V1. It takes the whole amp up a level, especially with the latest updates. I also found a Sovtek 12AX7LPS sounds impressive in the PI in this amp and another amp of mine (better than any nos tube)

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
I believe I am running EI Gold Elite in the preamp, they sound nice. Stock power tubes. Haven't experimented much.

So what did the mods/updates do for the tone?

tonesurfer

I believe I am running EI Gold Elite in the preamp, they sound nice. Stock power tubes. Haven't experimented much.

So what did the mods/updates do for the tone?
I was questioning that as well and sent it in based on EVHindenberg's comments. The end result is the mids are richer, the treble is smoother and the bass is tighter. The tone is also a little more pure sounding, sounds better at volume and there's more gain on both channels. The depth mod is also no longer needed as the amp has been adapted for good depth at all volumes.

Nothing major overall but a lot of little changes that really do add up to a better amp.

BTW guys you GOT to get an I61 (late 50s early 60s) Mullard, it really takes the amp to another level!

cooljuk

New club member here!

A sweet LS50 with a master boost arrived on my doorstep last evening. I spent most of my time drooling over the clean channel so far. I'll be putting it through it's paces tomorrow at stage volume.

tonesurfer

It's definiately a great versatile amp. Only amp where I can interchange a strat and a les paul without touching the settings and it's perfect for both. I really like using the inbetween pickup positions on a strat with it.

cooljuk

I noticed that the whole tonality of the amp and the response of the EQ changes based on the master volume.

I was getting some really great sounds with the master up well past noon and the channel volume down.

tonesurfer

I noticed that the whole tonality of the amp and the response of the EQ changes based on the master volume.

I was getting some really great sounds with the master up well past noon and the channel volume down.
Yeha I permanently keep the gain channel master at about 10:00 and the clean channel master on full. Then use the master volume from there.

Here's the settings I've settled down with

Trending Topics