Landry LS100 G3

shampoch

So the Landry is awesome as expected.

The available clips do a pretty good job giving you an idea of the amps tone and Bill is an awesome player and unbelievably nice guy, and now I can say an awesome builder. We communicated several times via email and spoke on the phone several times.

Most important thing for me was the voicing of the amp...which is perfect. If you don't like how an amp is voiced you'll be reaching for the controls forever. Being a Marshall guy at heart, thankfully the amp has none of the peculiar mid darkening voicing of some high gain boutique amps available. Not that voicing outside a Marshall is a bad thing, I have many in my collection that don't sound like a Marshall that I really like. What you won't get is "buzz" or "fizz" high gain tones. You will get kerang and growl! Did I mention loads of gain!!!

The clean channel is very impressive for a high gain amp with its own controls and decent headroom. No complaints on the clean. The high gain channel has two stages, say "blue and red". The cool thing about the blue and red is they don't differ in feel. I love the blue channel on my Bogner ecstasy classic but the red is very compressed. The Landry doesn't lose the goods in the Red.

The tone controls are not so typical and do a really great job dialing in the amp to different guitars. The mid and treble controls are very powerful and useful. I found myself easily dialing in a mid strong VH tone or a drop tune, drop mid, tones. On the back panel you have a depth control and classic/modern switch. They both effective feel of the amp. On the front panel is a three position bright switch for tweaking the gain channel. It's really hard to dial in a bad sound on this amp.

The Landry sounds great with different style guitars and you can hear the difference. Some high gain amps don't let you hear different guitars or pickups. I am finding this is a differentiator of quality in an amplifier. My Two Rocks are completely unforgiving on this topic and the best at hearing a guitar. The Landry is very good.

The on-board spring reverb is one of the best I've heard on a high gain amp. Nothing to fuss about just the right balance of reverb. I typically don't like spring reverb but this one is great. I run a Eventide delay in the loop which sounds very transparent. Despite being a simple send/return loop I hear and feel no difference using the loop or not.

The amp is very quiet even on high gain settings in the master is fantastic.

Not much to pick on and couldn't be happier. I don't flip amps in general unless I cant bond with them. Check back with me in a few years, I will still have this Landry.

Last edited:

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
That looks nice, i would like to hear a more complete review as well as possibly a clip or 2

My buddy had a Landry and it was a nice sounding amp, by chance are you close to the NYC area?

shampoch

Hey Shampoch thanks for the review , could you compare the Landry to the Quickrod . Thanks

Ok so I ran the Landry and the Quickrod next to each other.

I have to say you picked the two closest amps tone-wise for me to compare that I own. They are voiced pretty close with the Splawn only slightly darker.

The Landry is more raw and uncompressed but still pretty squishy but with better definition of notes.

The Splawn grinds as well as the Landry and a bit smoother or fluid. I'm testing the quickrod in comparison in 3rd gear. First gear in the quickrod is crazy good for lower gain JCM800 stuff.

The cleans are pretty comparable. The Splawn has a bit more low end.

The Landry has built in reverb that is really good. No winner here in this match up. It just comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Ok so I ran the Landry and the Quickrod next to each other.... They are voiced pretty close with the Splawn only slightly darker. The Landry is more raw and uncompressed
Congratulations! .....The Landry is a Killer amp!
Funny how we hear things differently.......I find the Splawn brighter and more raw.

shampoch

Running through different cabs will make a difference. I run the Splawn through a Splawn 4x12 x-pattern cab with small blocks and big blocks. The Landry through a Bogner 4x12 V30's/75's x -pattern cab.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Running through different cabs will make a difference. I run the Splawn through a Splawn 4x12 x-pattern cab with small blocks and big blocks. The Landry through a Bogner 4x12 V30's/75's x -pattern cab.
:jo
Of coarse it will make a big difference.
You gave your comparison between the Landry & Quickrod, and failed to mention that you actually based the comparison with each amp through totally different cabs/speakers.

in order to give a fair comparison, you need to compare apples to apples, and play them through the same cabinet.
I believe your comparison/quote below might not be the same if you have.
They are voiced pretty close with the Splawn only slightly darker. The Landry is more raw and uncompressed but still pretty squishy but with better definition of notes. The Splawn grinds as well as the Landry and a bit smoother or fluid.

shampoch

You ever try to compare two similar amps for similarities when you have to shut them down and replug back into a cab? I was able to unplug from amp to amp back and forth. Believe me I understand the difference a cab can make I own (17) 4x12 cabs. The only duplicates I have are V30 cabs and could plug into both of those however I wouldn't use those cabs with either amp. The Splawn is running through its branded cab and the Landry through recommended Celestions. I like the x-pattern the best with this style amp. Even with the different cabs they still sounded similar. Sorry i didn't mention it.

bartmcartman

Silver Supporting Member
In my opinion the Landry will sound better through the Splawn cab. Bill has a cab loaded with old reissue Greenbacks and the tone is awesome! It still sounds great through v30's, g12h, and 65's but to me the Greenback type speakers sound the best.

trailrun100s

You ever try to compare two similar amps for similarities when you have to shut them down and replug back into a cab? I was able to unplug from amp to amp back and forth. Believe me I understand the difference a cab can make I own (17) 4x12 cabs. The only duplicates I have are V30 cabs and could plug into both of those however I wouldn't use those cabs with either amp. The Splawn is running through its branded cab and the Landry through recommended Celestions. I like the x-pattern the best with this style amp. Even with the different cabs they still sounded similar. Sorry i didn't mention it.

If you throw the amp in standby, you can switch the speaker cable between heads without problems...

You gotta use the same cab to compare...

shampoch

All the time.

I never knew Bill to recommend this combination.
He never did and I didn't say he did. (quote below). He recommended Celestions in an email correspondence and I am sure other speakers would work as well. In fact I think I saw a video of him playing through Warehouse Speakers he liked.

"....the Landry through recommended Celestions. I like the x-pattern the best with this style amp...."

RAR

You ever try to compare two similar amps for similarities when you have to shut them down and replug back into a cab?
Would have taken far less time than writing about it here... :aok

BTW, I would love to have that problem... Congrats :rockin

tritone 6

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats and thanks for the review.
I really would love the comparison on more of your 17 cabs. The stand-by cable switch is really all it takes.
I'm sure the high gain tones are close, I'd be interested in classic Plexi, more vintage tone comparisons, and of course the straight clean sound through different speakers.
Then maybe the difference in higher gain modded marshall tones might be a little easier to compare.
I thank you for the review though and an update would be great.

Trending Topics