LANDRY M100L - Quick Report

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by spence, Apr 23, 2016.

1. spence

spence Member

After having a G3 for a year, I decided to give the Landry "M" style amp a go. The G3 is a fantastic amp for those looking for a more Marshall oriented amp with more gain on tap, and more useful features. If you're a Marshall guy, the G3 is all you'll need. I've been hammering away on the M100L (6L6's) this morning, and for me, this is exactly what I needed. It's a big, open, natural. articulate sounding amp that's not really focused on a specific frequency range. It's more linear, as Bill states in the video. I got the clean clean channel version, and it does just that - big, fat, & clean, but not sterile. The gain channel has all the gain one would need, and stays tight and focused. I push the gain to the point where each note still has a percussive attack. Push it more and it seamlessly blends into that singing, violin type sustain that anyone would love. I can highly recommend this amp to anyone looking for a great amp to play virtually any style music on, except maybe country, but the clean channel is good enough even for that if needed. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Bill is just a joy to work with. Everything that has been said about him here on TGP is the absolute truth. This is a wonderful sounding amp. The one in the video isn't mine.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    mixn4him, broken_sound, Jim S and 3 others like this.
  2. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I have an M50 and can second your impressions. Incredible sounding and feeling amp.

3. cbwarnes

cbwarnes Member

In regards to your G3, do have the clean cleans or dirty cleans?

4. spence

spence Member

Bill's amps work great with pedals, so I went with clean clean on the G3 for a great pedal platform channel.

lifeson1 likes this.
  5. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

That sounds killer

6. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

:agree

The lead tone sounds killer.
    Damn you Bill! Another amp I'm GASing for :drool

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  7. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Sounds somewhere between a modded Marshall and a Mesa....

8. cbwarnes

cbwarnes Member

How would you compare the cleans between the G3 and the M100L? I'm in the process of ordering a G3 from Bill, but still not sure between the super clean and dirty clean option.

9. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Great report! I was looking at an M to compliment my G3, but with an FX8 through the clean channe I can nail pretty much everything I want. Although that M video does get the juices pumping... Just a bit.

10. spence

spence Member

The M cleans seem similar to the G3 cleans, maybe a bit bigger and fatter. My G3 was built a year ago, before the current circuit changes, so I can't really compare to a current G3 model. I haven't played one with the dirty clean option. I like clean headroom, and I'm not sure when the dirt kicks in on the dirty clean version. Having the clean clean channel allows you to use different pedals for different sounds without being affected by the additional built in gain of the dirty clean option.

11. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

Great demo (as usual) from Landry
    The website calls the amp LS100M and the video M100L
    I'm presuming they are the same thing

12. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

My G3 has a switch by the preamp tubes to switch from regular clean to dirty clean, Bill can probably install that for you if you are undecided...

Millo 3.1 likes this.
  13. cbwarnes

cbwarnes Member

Is your amp a recent build? I didn't think that option was available. I asked him about that possibility but it seemed it wasn't a simple mod to do. Hmmm... I'll ask him again... Thanks!!

14. BrokenRomeo

Mine is a latest version purchased second hand from a local friend of Bills...not sure how involved the mod is or if he is offering it though, I leave mine on the clean setting

15. cbwarnes

cbwarnes Member

Is there any major tone difference between the the clean and dirty clean?..other than early break-up. From what others have described, the dirty cleans have more of a plexi flavor and the super clean is more Fender like. Does that seem to be the case?

16. BrokenRomeo

Honestly, I haven't messed with it much, I use the guitar volume to clean up the dirty channel most of the time

17. landryamps

landryamps Member

That amp has the pure clean channel, and I put a distortion diode on it as an experiment for my friend. I didn't care for it much, which is why I don't offer it as an option.

18. spence

spence Member

Boy oh boy Bill, this amp is sounding sooooo nice. I'm contemplating a couple Cream Alnicos to see what happens!

19. landryamps

landryamps Member

That's great to hear!

20. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

It appears they aren't. Here is a response from Bill in the comments on that video:

"It's the LS100M circuit reworked, so it has a better feel."