• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Laney Black Country Customs pedals

Guitarjon

Hey everyone,

I got a bunch of Laney Black Country Customs pedals recently and I've really been enjoying these. I was curious if anyone else here has any experience with these and what your thoughts are?

These are the pedals that I got:

-Secret Path reverb (spring, plate and hall with optional modulation/shimmer)
-Spiral Array chorus (analogue, digital & tri stereo chorus)
-Monolith distortion (3 classic distortion modes)
-Steelpark boost (upper mid boost/neutral boost/low mid boost)

The reverb is really nice. It models a spring reverb, a plate and a hall. Modulation can be added to the first 2 modes and shimmer can be added to the hall. So it's actually a very versatile reverb that compliments my tube amps well. I love how it mainly focuses on analog reverbs (spring/plate). It can go from small sounding to very big and lush and everything in between.

I've never had a dedicated chorus pedal but I did have a lot of fun with the Spiral Array. This one focuses on emulating a bunch of vintage chorus sounds. I mostly enjoyed the tri stereo mode, it even sounds very cool in mono in front of the amp. It's nice that you can also use it in stereo though! I'm no chorus pedal expert but I would definitely recommend this pedal if you're like me and you just want a simple chorus pedal that can deliver various chorus sounds.

As far as distortion pedals go I mainly have experience with either 'amp in a box' pedals or boost pedals, so the Monolith was interesting for me to try. This pedal can be shaped in various ways but I like to make it sound very thick for leads and/or rhythms. Any tone tips on this pedal would be cool, especially since distortion pedals like these are kinda new to me.

Finally my favorite one of the bunch is the Steelpark boost. This pedal has easily become one of my all time favorite boost pedals. It's kinda like a tubescreamer but with some extra options. You have the 3 voicings as mentioned above but I also love the fact that you can either add or cut both bass and treble. This allows you to really shape the attack and tone of the guitar. I love this especially to make mild amps sound super brutal.

So I put these pedals to the test in a little video. I'm running them through my Laney IRT Studio, which is a good pedal platform. They all sound very good to me! All of the pedals were used in front of the amp, so no loop.

Han Solo

Gold Supporting Member
I have the Tony Iommi Boost and the Secret Path. Got the boost first and was impressed. Very versatile. It's an "always on" now for me, with cleans or dirt.

Needed a new reverb soon after so decided to give the Laney a try. It's really good with exactly the features I was looking for.

Guitarjon

I have the Tony Iommi Boost and the Secret Path. Got the boost first and was impressed. Very versatile. It's an "always on" now for me, with cleans or dirt.

Needed a new reverb soon after so decided to give the Laney a try. It's really good with exactly the features I was looking for.
Awesome! I haven't tried the Iommi boost but I wonder how that compares to the Steelpark. How would you describe the tone of the Iommi?

Han Solo

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome! I haven't tried the Iommi boost but I wonder how that compares to the Steelpark. How would you describe the tone of the Iommi?
Well it's actually my first treble-booster ever... But with the switching options and treble+bass controls I find it to be a powerful EQ/Boost. I use it to enhance my cleans and to give my overdrives a more 70's feel; at least to my ears..

Trending Topics