Laney Cub 10 or Lionheart 5-112 or Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb or 68 Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yell03, Feb 27, 2015.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

I have a decision to make.

I am currently very happy with my two current tube amps, a Fender Pro Jr Tweed with a Jensen P10R speaker and a Laney Cub 12R.

I want another amp just because.....

I have 2 pedals I use for dirt if I am not using the amps Built in gain, Fulltone OCD and MXR M75

My choices are

Laney Cub 10 - Inexpensive and has that fun Gain Knob that I love.
    Very portable for 12w.

Laney Lionheart 5-112 - Expensive, but I hear it is a tone monster and has that Gain Knob.
    Big and Heavy for only 5w, but a loud 5w.

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI - Expensive and I hear the reverb channel does not always work well with pedals. Great cleans. Would need to use pedals for gain.

Fender 68 Custom Deluxe reverb - Expensive, but it has the bright Cap Mod so it works well with pedals on wither channel.

I have found deals on the Expensive amps for around $700-$800.
    I can buy the Laney Cub for under $250.

Both of my current amps are in the return grace period.

Portability is nice if I want to drive my sports car to jams.

Simplicity of the Laney Cubs and Fender Pro Jr is nice, only 4 total tubes to worry about.

Advice and experience wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

From your guitars and current amps, I can tell we have similar tastes. I've been a long-time fan of the Pro Junior, and have owned many Deluxe Reverbs. I have had my Laney Lionheart L5t for over a year now, and can tell you that the smile is still on my face. Yes, the L5t is somewhat expensive. But once you play one, you will never question the price tag again. From my experience, the L5t will provide everything you get from either a PJ or a DR, plus quite a bit more. The clean and reverb on the L5t are easily as sweet as a DRRI. And the L5t has a better built cabinet and a much better speaker than the DRRI. The gain channel of the L5t is fantastic, but not capable of ultra high gain. It gets you into wonderful cranked Plexi territory. And you can use your OCD to get great JCM800 sounds. I've just about stopped using any of my other amps, because the L5t sounds so good, and is so flexible. If you can get your hands on an L5t, you will be glad you did. I have zero regrets, and don't believe there is a better low wattage amp anywhere that doesn't cost twice as much.

3. yell03

yell03 Member

Thanks for the advice, definitely on my radar

4. yell03

yell03 Member

Well, I went a completely different route.

I snapped up a new GC Peavey Classic 30 Special Edition with a Celestion Speaker for $399 new.

It is back ordered, but I can wait.