Laney Cub12R - Speaker Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yell03, Feb 14, 2015.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

I currently own a Laney Cub12R, I love it.

I also just ordered a Fender Pro Jr limited edition with the jensen P10R.

The Laney probably would benefit from a speaker upgrade.

Has anyone upgraded the stock speaker and what are your thoughts and advice.

2. Lambent

Lambent Member

Some people are swearing that Celestion vintage 30 is great. Others love EMINENCE CANNABIS REX. It depends what are you after. I am thinking to go for Eminence because I'd like a darker, deeper tone. Not sure how to take the speaker out to be honest and whether I need to dismantle everything. Would be great if someone could comment on that.

3. yell03

yell03 Member

I am playing out today and was going to take my Pro Jr, I think I am going to try the Laney and see how the stock speaker it does in a louder situation with a drummer.

I'll keep you posted.

I am only going to bring one pedal today, my MXR M75 in case I need any more gain than the Laney has, but the Laney has a ton of gain.

4. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

5. yell03

yell03 Member

Well, the Cub 12R made it past a loud drummer and a rhythm guitar player playing through a 50w solid state Fender Princeton Chorus, but...

There were times where the volume was dimed, both gain and volume.

I only play lead, so to cut through I need a little extra.

Since I got home I notice the amp buzzing from vibration a little, sounds like the speaker loosened up. It is not electrical buzzing, more like something is loose type vibration.

6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey yell03,

I bought a used Laney Cub 12R last year. Fun little, EL-84 equipped guitar combo amp. It breaks up pretty fast unless you keep the gain knob around 9 o'clock. I like the 4 band EQ, digital reverb, and effects loop. I wish amp manufacturers would include an effects loop on their low wattage amps.

I currently have a Celestion Blue speaker installed in mine and I like how it complements the amp's tone. The stock Celestion 70/80 speaker is ok, but the amp benefits from a better speaker. I know of some of the Cub12R owners on the Laney forum who are installing the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker with good results. I also like to run the amp into my friend's 4x12 cab and it gives the amp a nice punchy tone. Since both the amp and Celestion Blue speaker likes to break up early, I have to keep the gain knob around 9 o'clock. I also run the amp as semi-dirty amp in my 3 combo amp set up at home.

Concerning removing the speaker:
    A) You would have to remove the 6 black screws that hold the cage that covers the rear of the amp.

B) You would have to take out the preamp and power tubes out of the amp to avoid damaging them.

C)Then you have to unscrew the 4 screws that hold the speaker to the speaker baffle. Slowly pull speaker out of combo amp chassis.

When you install the speaker, just follow the steps in reverse. Be sure not to tighten the speaker too tight to the speaker baffle to avoid warping the baffle or create speaker rattle.

Guitar George

7. yell03

yell03 Member

I think mine came with an even worse HH speaker from the factory.

Thanks for the help on speaker replacement, I will probably use it.

I like the Celestion G12H30 a lot, I wonder how that would match up?

8. Rick330man

Rick330man Member

Any further thoughts on this amp?

The early breakup can be cured by putting a good 5751 in V1. I had an old 1950's GE, but it was a bit too dark. I'm using a JAN Philips. If you use a 12AY7, you'll lose too much gain and won't be able to get an on-board overdrive.

I had a Celestion G12M-25 Greenback in there for a while. I also had an Avatar SA40 alnico. Both sounded good. I went back and forth. I'm still toying with an Eminence Legend 122 alnico, an Eminence Legend 125 and an Eminence Cannabis Rex.

The stock Shuguang power tubes were actually pretty decent sounding, but I tried JJs, Eis and a pair of Reflektor 6P14P-EVs. They all sounded decent, but the JJs were giving me some annoying, piercing highs when I turned it up. The 6P14P-EVs were excellent, as were the Eis.

9. Rick330man

Rick330man Member

I finally settled on the Cannabis Rex, a speaker which disappointed me in my Hot Rod Deluxe and in my Epiphone Galaxie 25. The amp tends to have a boxy tone. The Cannabis Rex does a better job than any of the other speakers tried of neutralizing that while still delivering nice tone. It is a winner in this amp. The Greenback comes in 2nd.