LANEY GH100L OT or other??? UGH

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ibenhad, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

So I just bought a used Laney GH100L and the thing has no volume. It's like a 5 watt SS amp. It has sound and it doesn't fluctuate. Does this sound like an OT issue? I have replaced all the preamp tubes and the 6L6 power tubes all light up and don't seem to be red plating. I will replace them tonight. I know these amps have OT issues. I will be pissed if the OT is dead. They are 270$ new from MM.... Thanks for any feedback.... No pun intended.

2. JerryP

JerryP Member

There are cheaper options for a replacement. Does it sound like a you're playing thru a fuzz pedal?
    Jerry

3. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

No the amp sounds like it should or at least what I remember mine sounding like just no power. I mean on 10 it's like a small amp sound. Really weird.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

You have NOT changed the power tubes? Change those before you start buying new transformers.

5. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

No I have not but I tested them on a Dynascan 667 Solid State tube tester. They all tested fine. Any ideas.

6. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

hello fellas. He bought the Laney from me. I NEVER had a single problem with this amp, I fact I played it and it worked flawlessly 45 minutes before he bought it. The power tubes (GT 6L6CG) have been in there since I got the amp 3 years ago. However, I have only played a dozen gigs at the most with it. The only other times this amp was used was bedroom jamming every few months. He tried different preamp tubes and tested the power tubes and all tested fine and he tried other sets of 6L6's and the problem persists. He aso cleaned the jacks with contact cleaner. The problem persists on both hi and lo inputs. What could be the problem? He is going to try to use a different ohm jack tomorrow as he only tried the 8 ohm so far.

Could it be the OT even if there is some sound and also the fact that it was working fine the day before he plugged it in and experienced this problem?

Is there anything else he can try before I refund him his money? Thanks.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just a shot in the dark but if the amp has an FX loop try putting a cable in it in case the contacts are dirty or bad. Bob

8. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

good call, forgot about that

9. JerryP

JerryP Member

I would be looking at a lot of other stuff before the output transformer. If it sounded fuzzy I might look atthe OT. Loop is a good place to start. I think that amp has a switch to bypass the loop if I remember correctly.
    Jerry

10. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

Thanks Jerry. He said the amp sounded fine, like it should but just very low volume. I don't remember if there was a bypass switch for the loop as I never used it.

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

12. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

thanks guys. I really hope this is the problem. If it isn't though, is there other things he can try?

13. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Not really. At this point, it is probably best to let a tech check it out.

14. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

So I cleaned all the jacks again and the efx loop pot and now the amp seems fine? Hope that is all it was. Thanks all for the replies...

15. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member