Laney L5T hiss - Which tubes to upgrade to

pumbertot

I recently acquired a 2nd hand Lionheart L5T. There is a noticeable hiss even with the volume on the lower end of the scale. I have no idea if it was always like this or how they should sound, I was thinking it could be the pre-amp tubes although to be honest I don't know much about amps being quite new to guitar playing etc.

I would like to upgrade all of the tubes (preamp and main) to better ones but don't know much about them so can someone with experience please suggest some good upgrades. I play mainly Gilmourish tones so keep that in mind if that matters for getting better cleans etc.

Thanks.

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
When I owned one I installed Tungsol 12x7's with fantastic results.

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
OK, I had a hiss issue with my Mesa Express, and after rolling through about 30 preamp tubes I found the Mesa SPAX7A tube cut my hiss by about 50%.

For your amp, I would first buy 1 or 2 of these and put them in V1 and V2 positions of your amp. The owners manual should tell you which tubes these are. If you don't have a manual I'm sure you can download it from the Laney website. The other option is to buy a new 12AX7A tube and try it in each position to see if it knocks the hiss down a bit.

Al

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for that. Being a complete n00b with this, do i need 4 of these (3 in pre-mp and 1 output)? Yeah I really know very little about this.
No, just the 3 smaller tubes from right to left (looking at the back of the amp).

The other tube is the power tube.....that will take a EL84 tube. I would just start with the tube in V1 (the one farthest right) and see if that improves the hiss. I'm guessing it will.

DaveKS

Does amp make hiss with no guitar/cable plugged in? If no, problem not amp, guitar/cable.

If yes, pull v1, start up amp, if hiss gone probably v1 is only tube you need to replace. V1 is most usual suspect. Sometime just swapping v1-2 can help, puts noisy tube in lower gain v2 position.

If still there pull v2 also, crank it up, hiss still there?

Still there, pull v3, repeat. If hiss still there with all 3 preamp tubes pulled is in power section.

Quite tube choice for me are TAD 7025wa.

pumbertot

Thanks heaps guys, I will troubleshoot it this way tomorrow.
So amp runs fine with some pre-smp tubes missing?

The L5T is a great amp. I love mine. I don't have any hiss, but I agree that it's probably just a V1 tube issue. Find a low noise AX7 and the issue should go away. It might be worth looking at NOS, even at the higher cost, since it should last a long time in the L5T. If you are using the L5T in clean mode most of the time, you might also consider using a 5751 tube in V1. This would improve the clean headroom some, and reduce hiss. However, you would lose a little overall volume. But if you're a home player like me, you probably already know that the L5T is way louder than you would expect a 5 watt amp to be. If you do use the lead channel of the L5T for crunch, then you'll want to stick with the 12AX7 in V1. Just find a low noise version (AX7A, AX7WA). Also remember to change your power tube (EL-84) every now and then. Those are not expensive, and since you only have one, it will wear over time. I try to change mine every 6 months, but I would recommend at least putting a new power tube in every year if you're playing the amp a few hours weekly.

pumbertot

Thanks for the suggestions mate, (and all of you). Im taking them on board. Have day off tomorrow so will troubleshoot to see if V1 is the issue and take from there but yeah I like the sound of the 5751 for clean headroom.

cheers.

Trending Topics